1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

STEELER WR POOL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Jul 16, 2024.

1. Brandon Aiyuk

13.8%
  2. DK METCALF

48.3%
  3. Other

37.9%
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Other. In Smith's offense there seems to be no need or enough balls to keep a top 10 WR happy and Pickens happy. We have good but maybe not great receivers here and that may be enough in this offense.:cool:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Oh they've had talks, but everyone including you I'm sure even knows the Steelers weren't giving what I'm sure the 49ers wanted in either player which I'm sure includes multiple 1st or 2nd round picks selling the farm.

• Like Like x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Thomas is washed that's why no team has signed him, he's injury prone and hasn't been good in 4-5 years.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How so? I don't follow the guy on Twitter.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t expect Aiyuk or Metcalf to be Steelers but I fully expect a move at WR at some stage before the season starts. It may be similar to the Robinson trade last year where they try to bring in a reliable veteran

I think they want to see what they have in Pickens and if he proves himself this year he will get an extension

• Like Like x 1
  6. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    hi Born to Steel. The Saint have two receivers that i am interested in. What can you tell me about them and do you think we should be looking at one of them.
    A.T Perry
    Rashid Shahid

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think the draft picks will be to valuable for us come next year. no use spending high picks on a WR this year and then nobody to throw him the ball next year. this offense has a lot of players able to contribute right now. they are not going to become a shoot out offense. TE's RB's and the receivers we have including patterson will be fine in this style of offense. they want to see how it operates first and then add to it next year keeping what works and then adding to it by next year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pipe Dreams:

Aiyuk. Will get a boatload of cash next year from somebody. I don't expect the 49ers to trade him being a Super Bowl Contender.

Metcalf. Won't be traded either.

They will add a camp cut or two. The Smith offense is not wide receiver friendly. Run and tight end heavy.

We will see if Pickens can become that complete player.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Let's face it our species has come a very long way with health care and body conditioning. Lynn Swann looks good for 72.;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I think the guy who started the thread does not "steal" from anybody although he was born for it. Just goofing with ya. Welcome!

11. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I would think that is how the Steelers brain trust think too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    YouTube Channel.

I think it is mostly just more speculation. But I do find it interesting that Aiyuk has actually asked for a trade. There are a variety of new sources that say he has requested it, so I think it is real.

Points in the video regarding Aiyuk:

Aiyuk requested a trade from the 49ers yesterday (That would be 16 July for the vid).

Vegas odds favor Steelers getting Aiyuk. Steelers +350, Jags +600, Colts +650, Commanders +850, Chargers +900

49ers don't want to let Aiyuk go.

Aiyuk's first choice is the Washington Commanders from past comments.

My personal opinion is that the Steelers do not have a history of paying certain positions, with WR being in that group. So I just do not see the Steelers giving up a high draft pick and as much of 30 million a year for a receiver. I still think that they are going to roll into the season without a big name joining the receiver group. They are going to go with what they have and incorporate the TEs into being a more active part of the offense than in previous years.

I picked other on the poll because good receivers are close to a dime a dozen. They are everywhere. Top notch receivers are more rare, but there are still a lot of them out there. But to be top notch requires more than just skill at the WR spot. You need a good offensive line, a good QB, a good run game and a good game plan. I think that the Steelers have the components to get there. However, I don't think that spending a top draft pick and 30 million a year on a receiver is going to be a magic bullet or do us any favors in future years where it will lead to salary cap problems. We have a fair number of people that we are going to want to keep coming up on contracts in the not too distant future. QB is one of those spots. Keeping on top of future money commitments is essential to having a team that is not hamstrung by contractual obligations.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Steellamb86

Steellamb86 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I put "Other" because I don't think either of the first two are coming here. I really hope we don't make that big trade and commit $30 mil to WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Ayiuk for me. Younger and has better overall stats than Metcalf. People talk about Ayiuk being a head case but I see no evidence of this. More importantly I would choose Ayiuk because he is Coach Ts twin brother

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  16. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Aiyuk sees the writing on the wall. 9ers arent going to have a budget QB for a long time and everyone else is getting paid.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In the ideal dream scenario?! Brandon Aiyuk.

That said, DK seems more attainable than Aiyuk does and even that front hasn't seen much development.