1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steeler O line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Joel Ritenour, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Joel Ritenour

Joel Ritenour Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2019
    The O line kicked ass last night. Both McFarland and Snell looked as good as Harris. I can imagine what Warren could have achieved last night. Maybe we should see what draft capitol we could get for a Harris?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I will admit that they did some good things in the run game but last night, pass protection was a major concern.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think good things happen when you commit to running the ball. A line gels much better when you commit to the run. A rookie QB should always be on the bench or a game manager. The last three weeks he was mostly a game manager. Build the foundation via a commitment to run and continue to allow him to grow. This methodology really benefits the OLine. There's still going to be issues, and there has been some. Hopefully this leads to a more confident Dan Moore and Dotson moving forward. All four RB's that had a chunk of carries the past 3 games has looked good as a result of this commitment to the run.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. The run blocking has come a long way, but the pass protection was poor again. Moore is just overmatched far too often. Some want to blame Pickett for the sack when he tried to step up, but Moore created the problem by allowing himself to be shoved backward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i was ready to deal Harris in October, for the right price. He is either injured - OR he just is not that great. OLINE played great. Great collective effort by all on O, except SUCK Johnson and half and half Pickens (turn your hands DOWN and CRADLE a low thrown ball, cant' someone teach him this??)

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    agreed

you can only commit to running the ball.....if you move the chains. we did that well in the first half and the 4th Q last night.
    the third Q was like the 2nd half of Cincy last week, PURE SUCK.

but a very good night, overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I imagine Harris will not be ready to play against the Falcons, so we will see what the offense can do with McFarland and Snell carrying the load. I know they were good last night, but I'm not optimistic going forward.

8. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    The Colts had the NFL’s No. 2 rush defense coming into the game.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I knew they had been good against the run, but I'm really having a hard time seeing why after last night's game. One good night doesn't suddenly inspire trust in Snell and McFarland.

10. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The steelers o-line has been healthy like crazy this year (same starting lineup in each game this year) but the product is still below average....It would have been much worse if this unit would have injuries but they are very healthy

11. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I would still like to upgrade the LT and LG. Right side of the line has been great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That's a fair point. I think McFarland and Snell looking good was more on the line. Snell had quite a few massive holes that left him untouched until a few yards downfield. The one 9 or 10 yard gain was set up nicely by Moore and Dotson. I do think it's fair to not be optimistic. There's data from the past that gives good reason to be pessimistic.

I agree that the pass blocking is still horrible. Any progress is progress with this line, and its low starting point.

13. Joel Ritenour

Jan 1, 2019
    These were holes that Harris would miss or dance around till the hole closed.

14. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    McFarland I thought was going to be a productive back in Canada's style of attack but was I ever wrong.

When they drafted him I went to youtube to checkout his promo and there he was running all over Ohio St (arguably a top 15 team in terms of 3/4 star talent).

Then you see these UDFA RBs become more productive. Go figure.

15. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    And the 2nd worst defense in the league by points. In other words teams clearly are not trying to run on them because they suck so other things. .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree with you. The line played well. However I still don’t see Najee making those cut backs. He seems to be running with a lack of confidence this year and his vision and his lack of explosiveness are off. Per haps he isn’t the right fit for this offense or he is just injured. I think in the draft the Steelers need to look at hard at getting a left tackle and perhaps moving Moore inside. Moore does well against the run his weakness is outside speed rushers which he won’t have to deal with inside. Dotson is a liability because of his lack of discipline and technique and the two of them beside each other from a pass protection perspective is not good. It would be hard to pass up on O’Cyrus at Guard from Florida if he were there at our second pick though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
  18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There was one play I found very telling last night. Chuks was hand fighting with his man and getting pushed backwards and Harris did a flying shoulder block into the guy and it forced him to stutter backwards and gave Pickett time to throw. Chuks needs to be that aggressive at with his blocks

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    And to no surprise are 2-1 in last 3 games. If you can run the ball successful you can win football games still, even though its a pass happy and fireworks NFL anymore.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It definitely helped Canada call plays in the flow of the game. Opens everything up in the playbook.

22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers need to address the left side of the Oline in the offseason. Draft a quality LT in the draft if possible. Dotson needs to face serious competition. Draft pick or FA will serve. Maybe a contract year will light a fire under Dotson?

I think the center and right side of the Oline will be good for the next 2 to 3 seasons. The Steelers can reassess and decide who stays or who goes.

The Oline has shown growth as a unit. KP's development and eventual experience as a QB can help the Oline. KP can adjust pass protection or run blocking schemes as he gains more and more experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I swear by some of these statements....it's like some don't actually watch games.
    Simple couple of Questions.
    Do You know what run blitzes are???
    Do You not see the difference in when those run blitzes are being used???
    Hint mostly on 1st,and 2nd down when Harris is out there....or 3rd and short when He's out there. They(other teams know Him as a threat)
    Did anyone not notice how long it took us to start moving the ball again as soon as Harris was out for the game???
    Also .....have You ever heard of fresh legs???
    Not to take anything away from Snell(I have actually always liked him), or McFarland, but that's what they both have.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Joel Ritenour

Jan 1, 2019
    That doesn’t explain what happened with McFarland and Snell after Harris left the game. Are you saying there was no more run blitzing after Harris left the game?

25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not to be that person but your statement is muddled. Yes they need an upgrade at LT rather than Moore but I don't think drafting that upgrade would put pressure on Dotson at guard. I'm thinking you mean to say both need to be upgraded and a LG/RG would put some heat on Dotson.

• Like Like x 2