1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steeler fan book club

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by steel machine, Apr 2, 2020.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I know. I just think about all the books my mom read throughout her life. If she had owned them instead of going to the library, she would have had an enormous library of her own! Besides, I've always wanted to have a bid, stuffy, wood paneled library of my own!

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Dude...I hear you. If I could show u my shelves. LoL. That's why I had my 1st Kindle for a year be4 I used it. I felt the same way. Now I don't .
    1.Way easier 2 handle.
    2. Dont need reading glasses.
    3. Never have 2 wait on a book ,or finding one. ( in most cases)
    4. Can highlight passages without wreaking your book. (Comes in handy for writing songs 4 me) LoL
    5. Looks just like reading a book. Dont compare it 2 reading off your phone , or I pads. (They don't even come close) My Kindle's are reading only.
    6. I have a habit of seeing a word sometimes, and I wonder ....where did that come from doesn't sound English.....hold your finger down on the word ....instant definition, and when, and where it came from, or origin.
    7. Will give you suggestions 2 other books you may like from what you read.
    8. I have over 400 books on mine, and I can just jam it in2 my back pocket.

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I know all the advantages. I travel a lot and I'd feel less stupid if I left a $25.00 book behind than forgetting a Kindle! I told my niece that a Kindle will never be worth more than it is when you buy it but, a signed first edition might!

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like my board game collection. I've got shelving just for board games, and I have book cases full of books. I'll never get rid of that stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Just picked up a copy of the latest Dune prequel. The Duke of Caladan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Cool.
    I need 2 read the second Dune book , but waiting on a better price. So now reading a cheaper book by Owl Goingbacks called Coyote Rage. He writes Horror fantasy. Of course he mixes in Native American folk lore into it. Some of his stuff is pretty good. Some not so. I would like 2 suggest David Gemmell 2 you. Might want 2 start on a single stand alone book 1st . Like maybe Echoes of the Great Song, or MorningStar. Before diving into his Sagas

7. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Just got my Kindle a few days ago. I love it. And I was able to transfer a few ebooks I have from other services to it pretty easily using the "Send to Kindle" feature.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know if you get e-books for your Kindle from your library, but I searched overdrive.com, which is what my local library uses to lend kindle books electronically, and there are a number of libraries that have The Myst Reader for loan. It seems to depend on where you live and what library you have a membership to. But you might be able to get it that way.

I also found a few websites that have it as a free .mobi book download, which you can email to your Kindle, but I don't know the legality of getting it from them (might be OK since it's out of print, but I don't know), but it is definitely out of print and not being sold electronically, so it might be the only way as of right now.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thank you. I have seen it it a few different way, some as you said, but like you said, I didn't know if it was legal or not. The last Library that I'm a member of is 250 miles away now. Surely they got 2 start releasing them again.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What is that Mephiston stuff?

11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    That's the 3rd book in a Warhammer 40,000 series I'm reading. I'm not really into the miniatures game, but I do have a few stand alone board games from 40k that are amazing games, but I really love the lore.

It's basically armored space marines vs. aliens and creatures from other dimensions. There are 100s if not thousands of books, and they're probably my favorite reading material.

Mephiston is a series about the chief librarian from one chapter of marines. He's an extremely powerful warrior who is in charge of knowing history and codices for the chapter. If you like sci-fi war/battle stories, it's great stuff.

This is the cover of the 1st book in the series:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I will check it out. I liked all the Aliens books. I went down that Rabbit hole for a year. I believe I read every Alien , Alien vs Predator, , or Predator book that was out during that time. LoL.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm reading the Steve Perry Aliens Omnibus right now. I'm on book 2, Nightmare Assylum.

Warhammer 40k books definitely borrow a lot from Aliens, but expand on the types of threats that are in the universe. And the marines are more like super-humans genetically altered for war. The books are very grimdark, but that's what I like about them.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I read that Omnibus. I enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Did you read it before or after they changed the character names from Hicks and Newt to Wilkes and Billie? The one I have is the revision with the name changes.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'll have 2 look.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I went back 2 look , and I can figure which one. I have The Complete Aliens Omnibus 1, 2, 3 , 4,& 5.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ah. Your on Volume 1. With Earth Hive, Nightmare Asylum, and Female War. Mine has Billie. At least 1st book did. I just looked. Its been a while since I read these, and alot of books read since. I just figured Billie was a different character with a like past. Never even thought about it till you mentioned it, or if I did ,it was while I was reading it.:hmm:

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, when it was originally released, it was about Hicks and Newt. But after Alien 3 came out, these novels didn't fit the story any more, so to keep them relevant, the author changed their names in subsequent releases and said they were actually different characters.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Makes sense. Now that I think about it . I thought a few of the characters seemed like a rewrite of someone else.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I lied. I have 1- 7 Complete Aliens Omnibus . I remember saying I had 1-5. So I went last night 2 look 4 more. It said there are 7.
    Anyway I went 2 order , and it said in your Library. So I looked sure enough, and I had read them, I just didn't catalog them with the rest. That's also a thing I like about Kindle.

22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I just read, "The Winemakers Wife" a damn good story set in France during WW2. I read a lot of WW2 fiction novels but I have to take breaks in between with other books. So many of the WW2 books run along the same lines that it gets to be too much if I read 3 in a row.

I just ordered The Naked and the Dead. Never heard of it until now. I love authors first book and I see this is Norman Mailers first book. It's old but sounds amazing. This story follows an actual platoon. Most WW2 books I've read revolve around single persons involved in the war effort.

• Like Like x 2
  23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Cowher has a book coming out on June 1........

• Like Like x 2
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Have you ever read any WW2 Horror fiction?

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Will be getting that.