1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steeler fan book club

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by steel machine, Apr 2, 2020.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Geez. I guess I'm the only person that hasn't read them.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok. Got Dune . 2 more books in the series I'm reading now, and then I start this Dune series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The Myst books were written by one of the game creators, Rand Miller. But the publisher wanted someone who had previously published a book to work on it as well, so they hired David Wingrove to work on it with him

• Like Like x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok. Thanks . I will look in2 it. Like I said I enjoy reading immensely, so I will check it out.

• Like Like x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The Stand!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I read the original. Not the one he decided 2 make more money and add more stuff 2. Dang it. I would have read it that way if that's how it 1st came out.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Finally started Dune. Didn't know there was that many sequels.

8. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The original series has 5 books. IMO, only the first two are worth reading. After that, they just get..............really weird. There's a bunch of prequels that are very good, written by his son.
    Make sure you have a copy of the Orange Catholic Bible!

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah . I just seen mention of the Orange Catholics.

10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now that I'm reading Dune ..I have noticed that the book Game of Thrones (from Song of Ice and Fire ) have a lot of similarities. In the plot. I believe GRRM may have read Dune.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I guess I'm the only on 2 see ,or think I see Similarities. :hmm:

12. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    The Naked and the Dead is a classic WW2 novel, on my bucket reading list.

13. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It has been decades since I last read the Dune series. But off the top of my head I can recall a few thematic similarities (A family suddenly moves from their tranquil home to a more dangerous environment for political reasons. Warring Houses. Etc). But those themes aren't necessarily unique to those 2 stories, and in fact, a lot of ASOIF is inspired by actual history (a good bit of it inspired by The War of the Roses). There are certain themes or tropes that crop up over and over throughout history, either in stories, myths, religions, plays, books or movies. Like music, there's only so many notes. It's how you put them together and use them that matters. ;)

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm only about 380 pages in so. I hear what you are saying. The sons help from the people of the sand . Like the help from North of the wall. Duke Leto is almost a version of Ned Stark. Lot more. Big difference is Paul story line is like a mixture of all the Stark children. Not putting either of the works down. I thoroughly enjoyed what books are finished in the Song of Ice & Fire, and I'm really enjoying Dune so far. Just struck me as strange.

• Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I could not find these books. I found some others by David Wingrove. Nothing by Rand Miller. I look even on my Kindle. Help!

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok. 2 the people who suggested Dune. It was a great book till the end. What a freaking abrupt ending. Didn't get Dune Messiah yet . They want $ 9.99 for a 340 pages ....I believe book. I only paid $ 3.00 for Dune, and its 3 times more pages.

17. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I got some of my out of print books at Goodwill and "friends of the library" stores. I even found a first edition "Mars" series book by Edgar Rice Burroughs for $5.00

• Like Like x 2
  18. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Strange, my wife has it on Kindle, but I can't find it on Amazon anymore. They only have the paperbacks, and the sellers are asking ridiculous amounts of money for them. The first listing is a collection of all 3 in one, and the other links are the individual books.

It's odd that the kindle version isn't still for sale.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    At least I know now I wasn't looking it up incorrectly. That's pretty much all I read now is My Kindle. I don't have 2 use reading glasses for it. LoL. I pick up older books of mine now....squint, then order on Kindle. If it comes back on Kindle I will get them.

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    The series is definitely worth reading if it comes back. My wife has a Kindle Paperwhite that I used to read an Alien novel. She uses it regularly enough that I can't always use it, so I've been thinking about getting one.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Definitely worth it. I'm on my second one. Also I will read those books as soon as they put them back up.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    So after considering getting a Kindle for several years, I finally ordered one. I had about $100 in my Amazon gift card balance that has been sitting there for awhile. Looking forward to getting it.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hope you enjoy. I Freaking Love mine. I had my 1st one for a whole year be4 I used it. It was given as a gift, but I thought what do I need it for? The Dance of Dragons came out from George RR Martin's series A Song of Ice & Fire, and I didn't have it. So I broke it out. Charged it up, ordered it. Now it's basically the only way I read. Every book at your fingertips. Well except......The MYST books. LoL. My favorite thing is making the text bigger so I don't have 2 use my reading glasses. LoL.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I think I have an illness. I have to have the book in hardcover. I converted one of my bedrooms into a library. Whenever I read something by an author that I like, I have the compulsion to buy everything they've written. I have a lot of Clive Cussler and Stephen King...........

25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been the same way for awhile, always wanting the actual book (but I'm fine with paperbacks). But I read a book on my wife's kindle a year or so ago, and it was actually as close to reading a physical book as you can get without being a physical book, and it really does look like paper on the screen. That got me to the point that I wanted one, even though I didn't previously think I would.

• Winner Winner x 1