1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

STD is right: It's not Tomlin, but Rooney

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by OB1, Jan 20, 2024.

1. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    • Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Let me anticipate a few of the responses from the emoticon army and hall monitoring crew:

:facepalm:

Go cheer for another team.

Yawn.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    upload_2024-1-20_14-16-19.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
  5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    I agree

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I can understand the OPs commentary, but fans need to give Khan and Weidl some time to draft their type of players. Even if they do as well in the draft in 2024 as they did in 2023, the Steelers will still be probably a year away from a serious run. Now if the Steelers miss on the OC hire, that is when the frustration will increase, especially if the QB struggles again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I saw that photo in the deflategate investigation report.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    How did you come to the conclusion this is Rooney and not Tomlin? If anything this falls on Colberts shoulders the most. They did start drafting for need which is why the second half of Colberts tenure wasn’t as good as the first half when they would take BPA.

And that they didn’t transcend seamlessly into an era without Ben, well color me shocked, replacing HOF QBs isnt easy. Who exactly were they supposed to draft in any of those examples in the article? I’d have to see who was available at number 10 when they moved up for Bush to see if they missed out on an opportunity there.

As the article pointed out, they were trying to win while still having Ben. Basically the gist of this article is the Steelers have had some bad drafts, like every other freaking team in the league.

• Like Like x 2
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Pretty sure that’s AI

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    There were several reaches imo that just screamed Rooney intervening to me. I don’t believe for a second Jarvis Jones was a Tomlin or Colbert pick. Nor do I believe Burns and Golson were tomlin/Colbert picks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I remember Jarvis Jones saying he wouldn’t fall past the Steelers’ 1st round pick based on his talks with Tomlin. I’m not sure why you would think that Burns and Golson weren’t Colbert picks. Maybe Rooney told Colbert that he wanted the corner position bolstered, but I can’t see Rooney getting so far in the weeds that he would have been a big Senquez Golson fan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    This, and don't forget sorting through the last several drafts of Colbert that were pretty ugly. It's kind of difficult to be in a place where you not building from the bottom up, had little to no good production from you recent high level draft picks, and little to no money to invest if FA. Last year was a start, draft looks really good, FA is both somewhat hit and miss, the ILBs actually looked like they might be decent, injury took out nearly everyone. Seumalo was supposed to be a highlight signing, but was meh. That said, does a player who played decently suddenly go bad? Happens, and a player needs to do their own thing, but lets also look at the surrounding issues, Dotson looked bad in this scheme, next to Cole and Moore...Dotson looks very good with the Rams, is there a connection?

So agree, felt 23 was a starting year and 24 was the real year to compete, that may be off simply because the OC and QB still is priority. That said this team still went 10-7 with a putrid O and very banged up and overworked D. Get the Oline finally right and a good OC, this team could actually be competitive even with KP. I'm not saying he is the guy, just saying I think the outliars made him worse than he is. Still think we need an upgrade to push further, and of course hope for a franchise QB, but they are rare.

13. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Rooney said what he wanted in terms of need or position. The actual players taken were a combo of the GM and Tomlin. Rooney is so fing clueless he probably doesn’t even know who is available.

14. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    Another one of your pot meet kettle moments

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like the football pic.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I never said only Tomlin makes the picks at the draft. I laugh when STD says he’s not involved at all.

17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

E05F24AE-C846-48D7-8296-CBD06E99D034.jpeg

18. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Part of the issue is this middling **** we are stuck in every year. We are always drafting 17-22 or around that range. Of course the one time we trade up big we get this idiotic Devin Bush.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I was referring to your comment about Rooney. . You’ve never met him or spoken to him. So for you to call him clueless is laughable.

20. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    He keeps extending your boy that’s all that needs to be seen to know he is absolutely clueless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I mean it’s a process that he is a part of obviously but from what I read his biggest input is getting the final list of prospects they are interested in and he takes off anyone he feels has red flags. Outside of the Ben selection I have not heard of him pushing the team towards a certain pick.

Jones met that athletic criteria Tomlin and Colbert had fallen in love with. IMO, they became too enamored in that and got away from drafting actual football players. Same with Burns which I also think was a panic pick when Cincy took the CB everyone thought the Steelers wanted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You mean the future member of the hall 0f fame?

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    That quote for Tomlin at the bottom is a classic. Total lack of self-awareness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    This article is a great read after the fact. It is easy to look back and say......if only you had taken Jalen Hurts, we would not be in this situation. I disagree. The Steelers did not have a team that would support a running QB like Hurts. You also can't say he would be the same guy with the Steelers. I don't think that the Steelers have been very good at developing QBs. Bubby Brister had 14 NFL seasons, 7 with the Steelers, 7 elsewhere. Counting only 100 pass or more seasons, he rated 65.25 with the Steelers and 79.2 without them. Hurts might be another Bubby Brister with the Steelers. Also, at the time of draft, you don't know who will be the diamond and who will be cracked glass. Brady was a 6th round selection in 2007 and Joey Harrington was the 3rd overall pick in 2002 with the Lions (went 26/50 W/L, 85 Int, 79 TD). I do agree that they were trying to win at the time and not building for the future, however at the time it also looked like plugging some holes could lead to great things.

I don't dispute any of the claims made in the article, but I do think that it is very easy to look back and point out the things that did not turn out well. If the Steelers had won a division title or even the SB, would he make the same critique? What if Devon Bush had turned out to be another Shazier? Some picks are great, some are cringe. At the end of the day, you can just hope that your reasoning and choices prove to have been right after the season ends.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The cost for that move up was really not that bad, but the return surely was. And as you say picking in the middle is fine, but it leaves you out for certain positions with high caliber prospects. Its easy to say draft up, but the cost long term can also be a set back.

• Like Like x 1