1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Statistics...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Are Important, or not?
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11327/1191946-150-0.stm
    I don`t mean this as a direct jab at the " Most Important Stat" thread, from the old board,
    Because I DO believe, that usually, turnovers, and penalties are the two most "important" stats in the game...
    However, I also believe that stats can be misleading, and if you want to pick and choose which ones you want to use, to make your case, you can make them say anything you want them to...
    As Twain said... "there are lies, damn lies, and then there are statistics"...
    But, How in the world, can you explain having a negative ten, turnover ratio, and still being tied for first in your division?!?!
    When we have only had 6 turnovers FOR us, and GAVE away 7 in the 1st game of the year, yeah, that skews the stats a bit, but still...
    We only HAVE 6 turnovers on D... Yet we are leading most of the other statistical categories, on D... and we DO have a 7-3 record...
    Are we just lucky?
    Are we so good, we can overcome the turnover differential?
    That just usually does NOT happen... :scratch:
    Maybe the "football gods", are giving us some breaks, to make up for the fact that Goodell has it in for us? :wizard:
    Anyhow, I thought this was a pretty funny , tongue-in-cheek, article...
    And it goes to show, how what I USUALLY believe, about, MOST stats is true...
    They are generally blown out of proportion, and ppl can use them to make any case they want...
    This, being the exception to the rule...
    I DO believe that 90 percent of the time, or more, If you win the turnover battle, and don`t kill yourself with penalties, you will win football games!
    How we have managed to be the exception to that rule, I dunno... Ben is that good?... We have played inferior teams?(ain`t buyin that one...), superior playcalling/coaching?(aint buyin that, either), so...
    There must be such a thing as plain and simple, LUCK, right?
    GO STEELERS!!! :yeehaw:

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    well we did have most of those TOs in one game so I don't even believe that stat to be totally accurate

3. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  4. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Our offense has turned the ball over so many times lately. And I mean since last year's playoff game against the raisins..we are not going to go far if we keep this up.

5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The defenses lack of turnovers is getting to be very concerning to me. As we start to close out the stretch and hopefully make our run through the playoffs we are going to need to get turnovers. We have had a lot of opportunities this year where the ball has hit our guys in the hands (how many times has Troy alone dropped an INT this year) and we have dropped it. Against the great teams we'll be seeing in the places this TO drought will cost us if it continues.

6. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Take away the nine from the first game and the B&G are only minus one for the season. Still bad, but not as dire.

7. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the link, Acorn.
    That was some interesting stuff...
    The "Momentum" segment was very interesting to me, because, you are trying to compare, what has been called "The Gambler`s Myth"...
    i.e., that a team who has lost to another team, so many times in a row, they just GOTTA win one, sooner or later, just based on the "law of averages",
    with, a sport, that is played by human beings, whose emotions at the time they are playing, most certainly have an effect on the outcome,
    They use the example of flipping a coin, a buncha times, to illustrate the fact that, sometimes...
    It IS gonna come up either heads, or tails 20 times in a row, out of a hundred tosses...
    But they are making the mistake, of using a purely mathematical, statistical type analysis, to compare with trying to predict a sporting event, where the emotions, and mood of the players involved, DO effect the outcome of the results.
    Kinda like my original point about statistics, in general...
    Like everything else, in life, they have to be taken in CONTEXT!!!
    Especially like the qoutes of our favorite athletes... if all you read is one part of a sentence, that was an answer to a question, that you didn`t hear, or you don`t hear the rest of the sentence....
    The meaning can be COMPLETLEY the opposite of what was intended!
    I love reading the ads for movies, where they only put in the favorable part of the reviewer`s opinion, like...
    (If you want to waste your money) "...This is the best movie of the year..."(at insulting your intelligence!)...but they leave out the part in parentheses! :)