1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Starting 53

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelHack, Apr 29, 2012.

1. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My 53

My guess

QB
    1.Ben Roethlisberger
    2.Byron Leftwich
    3.Charlie Batch

WR
    4.Brown
    5.Sanders
    6 Wes Lyons
    7.Wallace
    8.Cotchery

OT
    9.Gilbert
    10.Adams
    11. Max Starks
    12.Colon

OG
    13.Foster
    14.Essex
    15.DeCastro

C
    16.Pouncey
    17.Legursky

TE/FB
    18.Miller
    19.Pope
    20.Saunders
    21.TE/FB WILL JOHNSON

RB
    22.Redman
    23.Dwyer
    24.Rainey
    25.Batch
    Mendenhall starts year on PUP

DE
    26.Hood
    27.Keisel
    28.Heyward
    29. Kade Weston

NT
    30.Hampton
    31.McLendon
    32.Ta'amu

OLB
    33.Woodley
    34.Worilds
    35.Harrison
    36.Carter

ILB
    37.Foote
    38.Sylvester
    39.Timmons
    40.Spence

CB
    41.Taylor
    42.Lewis
    43.Brown
    44.Allen
    45. I DONT THINK HE IS ON THE ROSTER YET

S
    46.Troy
    47.Clark
    48.Mundy
    49.Allen
    50. Myron Rolle

P
    51.Kapinos (but I am pulling for Butler)

K
    52.Suisham

Snapper
    53. Warren

HACK

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
  3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don't agree because of cost. I don't know the nuances of the vet minimum pay scale, but I'm pretty sure that the vet minimum is specific to a player's number of years of service, and if that means $1M for McFadden and $550k for a young player, I think they'll go with the young player at this point.

4. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think he is talking about a different McFadden...

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Jumping right on it Hack, love it.

Don't sleep on our 7th round pick Terrence Frederick as a possibility of making the roster. He is a tough corner with good arm length. Also, check out his combine stats, #2 in the cone drill and he faired very well in many of the other drills.

Also, over the past 3 seasons, the kid has 17 TFL, 5 sacks, & 24 PDs. This guy can blitz and has a nose once he gets into the backfield. I was looking at Coty Sensabaugh as a possible late CB for us, but Frederick has incredible statistics and measurables. I am kicking myself for overlooking him pre-draft. Luckily for us, Colbert, Tomlin & Lebeau did not!

6. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think someway somehow Toney Clemons makes the team

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Is Will Allen still here?

I think at this stage that's a likely roster, Hack. I have hopes for some changes - Troy Smith replacing Lefty, Mortly Ivy replacing Foote. Would like to see young blood at P or K, but that's just because I think it's a position that I don't believe we couldn't do better at.
    Would be good to see Lyons break the team, but I wonder if Clemons will challenge him for it.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah I'm talking about wilie not bryant

9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He's a ball dropper, why do we keep drafting kids who have trouble catching the ball ?

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Hey at least he is not a 2nd round pick like Limas. I think there is two battling descriptions of him. One that he is good at catching contested balls with the CB right in his face (just see his videos online), and the other is he drops balls and has questionable hands. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I think he might make the team.

Actually I was hoping we would have held onto Tyler Grisham, I thought he was coming along nicely....

11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I always thought Grisham a little small for the offense... as usual, I have no stats to back that up (probably will turn out he was like 6.7 or something), but I remember thinking it when I saw him play.

Another point that has no back up, but I don't remember Sweed being known for dropping balls before we drafted him. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the stats bear out his drops weren't particuarly bad compared to others. But that's probably for another thread.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    He's 5'11" and 185 lbs.

13. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    As for the RB's, IMO I dont see Dwyer getting 2nd string over Batch. Dwyer and Clay saw action due to injuries and although Dwyer looked ok I see Redman, Batch and Rainey w/ Dwyer as the 4th string. Rainey will be the 3rd down version 5.0 Moore!

14. Badboy212

Badboy212 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    aaannnnddddd.........if Laqrry Foote is our opeining day starter I think that says it all about the ILB's and where they are at. Said it years ago and to this day that Foote is not an NFL starter! Never was and that was evident while in Detroit. He got benched after just 7 weeks as a starter, and they were and still somewhat weak at LB's. I think Sly gets the nod by week 1. Just my opinion

15. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Change # 3 QB to Jarrod Johnson and switch Lyons with Clemons. Lyons looks uncoordinated to me. A few others are debatable: TE (3 and 4), DE (4), kicker, safety(4). I also think it will be difficult to keep both RB's Rainey and Batch; Clay is there too.

16. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Hah! I will consider this a lesson for me and my skewed memory. Maybe he was always standing next to Casey when I saw him or something...

17. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    STARTING 53? ALL of them will start? Nice! Hahaha just messing...

Not bad overall. Just some opinions:

QB - I think one of the "older guys" go and they keep a young guy in there as the #3...with the "older guy" thats cut on stand by if needed.

WR - Only keeping 5 this year? I too see the rookie making it barring unforeseen issues.

OT - If Starks is cleared I'd love to bring him back as a BU and can J Scott.

DE - I dont see anyway this Weston guy makes it. They REALLY like Woods (brought him back AGAIN last year) and also C Bryant (though he could be PS bound).

CB - Only keeping 5? I could see the rookie 7th rounder making it or any number of guys (I'd say bring back Donovan Warren again).

S - 5 Safety's eh? Rolle I'm not sure...they really seem to like Cro-Smith

Other than that...the rest I think are fairly obvious at this point.

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    A couple of thoughts. I like your work here.

I think if Lefty stays healthy throughout camp, this might be the year that Batch doesn't make the team.

I think Clemons takes Wes Lyons spot.

I don't think M. Starks makes this roster to start the year. If after week 4 he is healthy and Gilbert, Adams or Colon aren't working out...he may come back at J. Scott's expense.

I don't think we carry 4 TE's.

I think we probably have our 5th CB on the roster right now. We may even carry 6. Myron Rolle has to beat Allen our for a spot in order to make this team. I don't see us carrying 5 Safeties.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I won't comment on every position yet, but I feel pretty certain that we will carry at least 6 corners, and probably no more than 4 safeties. I agree that one of our corners is probably not on our roster yet, and I also think that we will find a new backup safety to replace Allen once the veteran cuts resume around the league. I think Frederick will start the season as corner #6, and take Madison's ST spot. I strongly doubt that Rolle will get a roster spot. Depending on ST needs, we may carry 9 LBs and only 6 D linemen. I also see us looking for another RB - maybe a MeMo encore - while Mendy mends.

So, I see 3 low tier (i.e. backup caliber) free agent signings coming by mid pre-season: 1 corner, 1 safety and 1 RB. Just my thoughts.

20. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    If you hated Limas Sweed...you're going to despise Clemons IMO.....I think Lyons has decent hands....and can jump...you cant teach height....with his wingspan/height/and leaping ability....you have about a 14 ft window to put the ball into....and vs everyone but the Bengals Safeties....he will be a massive mismatch.

I kept the extra Safety because we are so light on Corners...they normally keep 10DB's....so I went 5 and 5...and I feel that works because Allen is mostly ST...and I think Rainey will be as well.

I really am only keeping 3 TE's....I think look at Will Johnson as more of a FB....and since Saunders starts the year suspended....it keeps 3 TE's active until he is back.

HACK

21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I wonder why everyone hates on Larry Foote. He's not spectacular but always fines his way on our team. And starting or spliting time with a starter. With the lost of Farrior, I am grateful that we have him to run the defense for another year. I couldn't see hanging the reins over to Slyester yet. Hopefully he pans out but i think we will be good with Foote in there.

22. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    I am not a fan of Foote...but he is the best ILB on the team not named Timmons.

We got what we got.

HACK

23. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    5th WR will be Marquis Maze. This kid is really special. I'm very glad we picked him as UDFA.

24. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Im pulling for the kid from duq but mainly beauce of his size

25. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Marquis Maze will be an interesting pickup. He's incredibly small, but he was so productive in an anemic Alabama passing game. He's never had a QB like Big Ben throwing to him. Definitely someone I will be keeping my eye on in the pre-season.