1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Starkey: Steelers could use a slice of reality

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DwarfToss, Oct 28, 2016.

1. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I don't get the homecoming reference? Generally when the homecoming game is decided it's against A team that is considered week or so to ensure a win in front of the home crowd. Based on that that would imply the other teams think the Steelers are the inferior team contrary to what the writer is trying to convey in this article.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

To your first point, who really cares what other people think? If one likes something and supports it, then continue to do so.

Second, I implore that you do not understand why people think that way.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I care and next use the green font.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I am not 100% certain you should if it affects your own opinions based on whatever your interests are.

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wasn't the OP the guy who accused people on the board of drinking the local pittsburgh media kool-aid and then he uses a story from the local pittsburgh media to start a thread that agrees with his POv? Facepalm?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Wouldn't be much discussion going on if we didn't care what other people think?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    Starkey is a refreshing outlier. David Todd is another. Most of the mainline guys blow smoke up the org's rear end.

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They all are trying to sell clicks or papers and should be viewed as such.

14. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    A local writer said the other day that Tomlin could get fired if we don't do well this year. That's so highly misinformed I can't even describe it.

15. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's a big assumption and nothing more.

1. The organization is not run the same way it once used to be. Same last name perhaps, but the ownership has changed over the years
    2. Just because the Steelers kept Noll and Cowher for a long time doesn't mean they'll do the same with Tomlin. I'm assuming they judge each coach by his own merits and not blindly retain a coach just because that's what they've done in the past.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Or maybe we're just tired of some of the things we've been seeing for many years now and we expect better.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Since everyone apparently can't be bothered to discuss the merits of Starkeys article, I'll make a start.

Starkey quotes several players, who seem to think that the Steelers get the "A" game from the opposition, and that this is why they lose to inferior teams with annoying frequency. Starkey, rightly in my mind, asks
    "Who do they think they are?" They, being this set of players in particular, who have been decent but not extraordinary over the last 5 yrs, winning one playoff game thanks largely to the buffoonery of the Cincy Bengals. This set of guys ain't the Stillers of the '70s he asserts, hence his comment that they could use a slice of reality.

I'm no big Starkey fan. And he's hardly a Steeler bashing guy. His man crush on Big Ben is obvious, if you listen to him on the Fan. But, if this set of Steelers think they are better than they really are, it would explain some flat performances over the last yr or two.

Not sure I totally buy the premise, but it's not crazy.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Teams definitely raise their level of play against us because we always have the reputation of being one of the elite teams in the league....the problem is we don't always rise to the occasion,for some reason we don't seem to have that killer instinct to put teams away early or our execution is lacking in the beginning of games for some reason and soon as the bad teams feel they have a chance it's usually gonna be a long day.The part that is starting to really worry me and has for years now is it seems our physicality is nowhere near what it used to be ,we lose and at the same time we are getting dominated upfront.
    What Heyward said earlier in the week is alarming for what should be considered a championship roster.....the problem and the answer is on the coaches and the players. Our execution leaves a lot to be desired sometimes but so does the game plan going in....how many times over the last few years have we questioned what the hell they were thinking about going into a game? Every time I hear Tomlin say we don't worry about what the other team does we just worry about what we do....as much as I hate the pats I think the biggest advantage they have over most if not all of the NFL isn't talent , it's the way they game plan for each team each week.....they can't all be Ivy League grads.....why can't we at least attempt to do something similar

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we're the best and all others suck. so there. :tongue::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was listening to Pittsburgh radio that covers the team, and they said the Dolphins players were pissed that so many Steelers fans were in their stadium and they were getting booed at home.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I heard that. I don't think the Dolphins players actually said that did they?
    The way I interpreted it was the guy talking has a theory that So many Steelers fans attending road games works against the Steelers because it pisses the home team off. Then they play harder because of it.

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I was listening to Mark Madden on Savran, he went in on the Steelers.

He was saying there is something wrong with how this team acts. He said there are no real leaders on this team. Not because we don't have guys with leadership skills, but because everyone is more concerned with themselves... Like when you look at AB and all his diva antics this year.

Also said there is some bad leadership on this team... Harrison has a bunch of followers on the team, and he has created a corner in the locker room where they have decided not to talk to the media until Friday's. Which I guess is understandable, but can you ever imagine guys like Bettis or Keisel pulling petty crap like that?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  23. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don't like it, but Harrison also has a very different personality compared to Keisel or Bettis.

I don't follow the media (print, online, or social) enough to know -- how is Harrison treated?

24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The thing I don't get is when they are winning you see Tomlin jumping around, high fives, chest bumps, he is alive. When they are losing he looks like someone just stole his Halloween candy. Tomlin's not going anywhere and i'm not here to bash him but at times it is unnerving. The buck stops with him. There are leaders on this team and they voice their displeasure at times. The media and also this and many message boards scrutinize the team and have opinions. Some live in reality and some live with rose colored glasses. Glad I have this venue to voice my opinion whether you agree or not.

Starkey has his opinion.This team hasn't seen a deep run in the post season for 5 years. The clock is ticking...

• Like Like x 1
  25. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Exactly. That may have been how old man Art and Dan did things but this is Art's team now. And he's shown that he's willing to do things different from the past. Look at the free agent signings. I don't think Tomin's job security is as safe as it would have been in the past.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016