1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by thorn058, Dec 19, 2017.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did no one really not start a thread on this? Is it out of respect for BFT? Anyone want to start? I have several thoughts on it but wnat to make sure people have had tie to view it.

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I haven't watched it yet, but have seen reviews that cover the entire spectrum. It sucks, disappointment, it's great, I loved it....

Personally, I don't put much stock in reviews. A movie just has to do one thing for me. Make me forget about all the other crap going on in life for a bit. I don't sit back and nitpick every single detail or make some claim about how it's impossible for them to travel from x to y in however much time. It's sci-fi/fantasy it doesn't have to fit into our little preconceived notion of how the world works.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I've been a fan since the first movie came out when I was 5. For the new movie, I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think people who don't enjoy it often have preconceived expectations and are disappointed when their personal expectations aren't met. There are a few things I thought were a little "different" for the SW universe than I would have liked, but overall, it was a really good movie IMO. I'm going to see it again with my 11 year old son sometime next week, and I'll pay attention to a few more things, so I'm waiting until then before I make my mind up more than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tube517

tube517 Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Popcorn movie for me. Meaning I enjoyed it and wasn't expecting 50 Academy Award nominations.

Is it perfect? No.
    Is it the best Star Wars movie? No
    Is it Episode 1-3 nonsense? No

5. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Saw it Thursday night with my kids. I liked it, kids loved it. I enjoyed it and thought it was good, but it wasn't as good as The Force Awakens. Definitely not an Empire Strikes Back clone for those who were worried about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, after all of the comparisons of TFA to the original Star Wars (I still hate calling it A New Hope), I halfway expected it to be ESW-like. Glad they went a different direction. I don't want to spoil anything, but I did love the fact that

Yoda made an appearance, just like the middle movie of the original trilogy, and that he acted like the original Yoda, and not the uber serious prequel Yoda.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah! I liked how they did crazy Yoda from Degobah. Loved what they did in the Snoke's throne room scene, too. That was...unexpected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    a little too easy if you ask me, but I did enjoy it as well.

Had a few nitpicks with it, but I thought they did some good things with it.

The subplot to get a code breaker was a little much and introduced a plot hole with the whole cruiser chase main plot. (Why not just radio other star destroyers to Hyperspace in front of them?) Especially if you can communicate in real time!

9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I thought that whole subplot was a little contrived, and the way it worked out, pretty unnecessary.

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You did? I don’t believe it. :lolol:

11. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I waited until the day after New Years Day, to watch it, so the crowds would die down...

I got exactly what I expected out of a Star Wars movie...

Lots of explosions, a few new creatures, good guys get beat up on, and come back and win, after taking heavy losses..
    Some "fourth wall" type jokes..

That`s not a bad thing... I grew up on the original Star Wars, (episode IV)... and it did not disappoint me...

I heard a lot of complaints about the runtime (2 hours 30 minutes), but after a bit of a lull after the initial battle,
    I was engaged with the story, and didn`t find my attention wandering...

Which is pretty impressive, since I almost never go to the movies, because I prefer to watch them
    in the comfort of my own home, where I can smoke and drink, and push "Pause", if I need to use the restroom...

Not sure if I have "A.D.D.", but I get bored with movies pretty easily...

I didn`t get bored, or catch myself wondering, "How much longer till this is over"...

It is going to be interesting to see how the "final" movie of the 9 episodes that Lucas originally had in mind plays out,
    and how attached I will be to it, since most of the original human characters I am used to seeing are gone...

I am still looking forward to it, because based on this one, they have carried on the legacy pretty well,
    and introduced new characters, that I am interested in.

JMO...

• Like Like x 1
  12. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I had read that instead of using CGI like they had done in ep 1-3, they used the same mold from ep 2 and even brought in the original puppet master to supervise. That was a good move on their part, he definitely felt original in that scene.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I got a good nap during the 1st hour.

14. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I' not a huge Star Wars guy. I liked Episodes 4 & 5 and the start of 6. Didn' like 1, 2 or 3.

I didn't like Force Awakens either.

Rogue One was probably my favorite of them all outside of Empire.

I'm sure I'll see the new one once it hits netflix.

I saw the new trailer for Solo. Wow, does not look good. Harrison Ford had "IT". Always did. This new guy looks like a poor casting choice. We shall see though.