1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Dec 16, 2016.

1. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I took my daughter to see this last night and it did not disappoint. I highly recommend it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Got an early peek? I thought it opened today. Yeah, definitely looking forward to seeing this one.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    It does open today, but a theater nearby has Thursday night screenings.It was the same for Force Awakens, too.

We saw this in 3D, and without getting spoilery, there is a x-wing/tie fighter battle sequence that was just visually awesome. Otherwise, it wasn't really a "3D" movie.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Saw it in regular. The space battle was epic...that's all I'm going to say about that.

didn't see what people were wining about with the CGI characters though. The "clean slate" at the end was a bit disappointing.

5. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I absolutely loved it and can't wait to see it again. The ending hit me in the gut a little. Not because it was anything unexpected or anything like that, but because it took me full circle back to when I was 5 years old seeing the Tantive IV for the first time. I felt like it gave me an emotional connection back to that that first time seeing Star Wars, not having any idea how much of an impact it would have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I know some didn't like the call backs, but I thought it dovetailed nicely into the standard lore. explains lines in all the other movies.

7. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That battle was maybe the most visually awesome thing I've seen on screen.

People whined about that? I thought Admiral Tarken was masterfully done.

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah it was all over the internet about the Tarkin and the other person....

Talking about it looked fake and ethics...

Fools how did you expect them to tell the story? First they whine about using the other Anakin's face in the redo's then they complain about using the real actor for Tarkin in CGI...

Can't please anyone.

Yeah That space battle looked far better than the Prequel's. I'd put it on par with my favorite Wrath of Kahn space battle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Rogue One was great... But what what I really can't wait for is next December...

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The way people are acting is like when they made the first three Episodes of the Clone Wars cartoon into a movie because GL was so head over heels in love with their work. They all whined about the lack of a crawl and the use of the MovieTones News reel footage instead, the lack of a Williams score and so forth. Most of the things that they let bother them are stuff that isn't important, or at least not to me anyways.

One of the reasons Empire is my favorite of the seven movies is the Battle of Hoth followed closely by A New Hope because of Yavin, so this just blew my mind. I thought I would need my BP medicine when I first saw Tarkin and those that are complaining about the CGI can stick it, it was stunning, Loved everything about the movie and I'm so glad they played in the sandbox outside of a Skywalker tale and told a story without centering around Jedi/Sith but was a squad based/driven story.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I stayed away from everything about this movie on the internet. I knew nothing going in, and I have to say I enjoyed not knowing. I loved the story, and it had a logical ending. The CGI didn't annoy me at all. And, yes, that space battle was great.
    I agree that there really wasn't much point to see this one in 3D. I only did because it was at a time that was convenient for me.

12. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Just saw it for the second time last night (my wife's first time since she didn't go with us when we first saw it). I was able to focus more on the dialogue in the scenes with Tarkin since I knew they were coming (I was so focused on his appearance the first time that I accidentally didn't pay attention to what he was saying). I noticed the first time that there is a ton of great fan service in RO, and I caught even more of it the second time around. Great stuff!

13. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    It ruled big time. The CGI version of Leia was actually really sad knowing what I knew when I saw her. I'm a die hard fan of Hannibal and a huge Mads Mikkelsen fanboy and just his presence alone made me want to see it. I will say I felt sorta odd watching a Star Wars movie that didn't have a crawl at the first and the John Williams music punching me right in the face from the start but the movie definitely managed to forge its own identity while still also feeling distinctly "Star Wars" at the same time. The CGI stuff didn't really bother me but I could see how some people would find it jarring. I do think you can definitely tell that James Earl Jones has aged by his voice though. It was still pretty dang terrifying to see Vader standing in that hallway with his Light Saber ready to throw down.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah when he tried to say "I've got a bad feeling about this" and she stopped him that was hilarious. Also I kept just waiting and waiting to see C3 and R2 and when they finally showed up it was really satisfying. Great to see the old set pieces again too. I also loved that they still paid homage to the Rebels sneaking around in costume but how they were hidden in plain sight by just wearing the uniforms instead of wearing helmets to cover their faces. Also was that supposed to be Ahsoka Tano on a projection? It definitely looked like her. Member Berries were definitely working overtime for people for sure.

15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you mean the Twi'lek in Saw's hideout? I just assumed that was another Twi'lek dancer like Oola.

16. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I just saw it in silhouette briefly and that's what it made me think of. You could be right and probably are.

17. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I saw this over the weekend and was blown away. This movie was done well. I didn't mind the CGI at all. The Darth Vader Scene (You know what I'm talking about) by itself was worth the price of admission. It showed the power of the force against mere mortals.

Favorite line: "Try not to choke on your aspirations" Cheesy, but straight up Vader.,:roflmao:

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I just thought about it and reading the books (Rogue Squadron), they paid some homage to the Bacta Tanks they used as well when they showed Vader.