1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stafford

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 23, 2021.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are constantly rebuilding. Maybe they can get Barry Sanders to lace up :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    That Walker trade was insane :lolol: But the best was Ditka trading the whole draft for Ricky Williams, and sitting there with a dread wig on :lolol:

Detroit got the best out of this trade for sure, but can they capitalize on it?

And LA was not scared of Stafford, major back issues. Crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, you understand fine, this is just another example of a GM doing dumb things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Getting them here my good friend! :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theram...-trading-jared-goff-for-matthew-stafford/amp/

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I believe McVey was in on it to. Probably frustrated with Goff. Still unbelievable and dumb as far as I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Thanks. As I said they have $30m dead cap charge this year, no dead cap thereafter. Perhaps I didn’t read your post correctly but I think you said they had $70m + dead cap charge to deal with over two years.

The deal is a real gamble, the range of outcomes is huge, I could see them make a deep playoff run but they could just as easily have some injuries and end up gifting Detroit a top 10 pick. Their roster is so top heavy, everything invested in 5-6 stars.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I did say over $70 indeed good sir. However, I am accounting for both Stafford and Goff on the Rams Payroll. I am not accounting for just one of them. :drinks:

8. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t even think Goff is a bad QB, I think he’s good actually. Is Stafford at 32 that much better? I mean he’s definitely better but I don’t think he’s that much better that he’s worth that package.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Unbelievable?! I disagree. We have already seen some far out trades already since 2018; the Khalil Mack trade being the start.

Now, dumb?!

[​IMG]

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Quite a gamble indeed. For McVay's Coaching Career, he better be. If not, get ready for Jalen Ramsey to act out again!!! :roflmao:

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Bare minimum of possibly four First Round picks for DeShaun Watson then?! Seriously though, think about it for one second. If it takes that much to move someone like Matthew Stafford, imagine the price on Watson!!! :eek:

If I am DeShaun Watson, I would use my fully guaranteed money I earned from my contract and my no trade clause against the McNair Family!! Given how they have essentially allowed a whacko in Bill O Brien to annihilate the Franchise, they left Deshaun no choice. I say good luck and God Speed to his future endeavors ....

.... he will need them.

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    SB or bust. They have a team in place to win it, could use better WR’s, IMO. Maybe they will find one this draft. They also have Jefferson who I think will be good.

Awful big gamble for a guy with back issues.

I wonder if they were on the phone with the Texans with this package?

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Goff is not good imo

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep. The back issues are not even my biggest issue. Who is manning the Left Tackle position?!l Counting on Andrew Whitworth to stay healthy for a full season yet again is the highest form of ignorance and arrogance!!

Regarding the Watson trade, doubt it. Cal McNair likely wants more than that but there are literally too few suitors at the moment. Keep this in mind as I did say for now. That said, could some one like the 49ers be in play?! I seriously doubt any AFC South team is in contention as that would be stupid but then again, Cal McNair is far beyond out of touch with reality.

My favorite aspect about all of this my good sir is that DeShaun Watson has a no trade clause with his fully guaranteed money. If he does not like the team, he can simply say no and McNair cannot do anything about it!!

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Woods and Cupp are one of the better duos in the league imo, they do lack a deep threat.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Detroit is not expecting him to be either. If anything, Detroit is playing the long game with this trade which is why the Lions are the biggest winners of the trade. Jared Goff's Contract has a potential out in 2023; a Zero Dead Cap Charge for the Lions if Cut by then. Keep in mind the Lions already have a high pick in this draft and will likely select a QB; I suspect Trey Lance if anything unless Fields somehow falls that far OR if Detroit trades up to get him or even Zach Wilson.

Either way, you are right. Jared Goff is not very good at all. However, Detroit does not necessarily need him to be either. Assuming they get one of the QBs, Goff will essentially be a mentor whether he does instruct them or not. Once he has fulfilled his duties and the presumed QB is ready to go, Jared Goff is finished in Detroit.

17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree, he was ok when the offence ran through Gurley and he could live off play action but as soon as they asked Goff to do more he became a turnover machine. Not a franchise QB IMO

Stafford is much better but I still don’t think they have the depth needed unless they get lucky with injuries. They have a number of elite players, but very little behind them

18. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This Wide Receiving class is great but not legendary like the 2020 one a year ago. There definitely is no Chase Claypool from this class that I see. For that matter, of this years new Receiving Big Three, only Ja'Marr Chase is somewhat qualified for that and he is worth a Top 5 pick without question.

That said, plenty of Deep Threat options in the class. Nico Collins from the University of Michigan does not have the breakaway speed but the ridiculous catch radius needed to excel as a deep threat. Just do not expect him to burn past Corners like Chase or D.K. do.

• Like Like x 1
  19. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Isaw where Houston would want 4#1S 2#2S 3 3#S + 2 defensive starters for , Watson....... tjhats crazy there is not a player worth that ....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

As I thought!!.... well.. somewhat at least.

Agreed though bunch. Not happening so Cal McNair can keep dreaming whatever dream he so believes. As I said, DeShaun Watson can play this game called "Oh Well!!" :lolol:

Rules?! Shut it down for a whole season!! Remember, his contract is guaranteed and Watson can waive off any trade Cal McNair wants to make!!! More often than not I am with the team over the player but in the case of DeShaun Watson, I am making an exception!! :drinks:

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    He was good enough to win a SB if Cooks holds onto the ball. I don’t think he is great but I definitely think he is good.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason Detroit are the big winners of this trade whether or not Goff is or is not. Goff's days are numbered as the Lions will likely draft a QB and Goff will be sent to his NFL Flower Fields. Get rid of Goff in 2023 and continue to build a roster.

23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m not sure they will take a QB. Maybe they like Goff. 4 first rd picks in the next 2 years (theirs and the ones just acquired) can build a team pretty quick without spending one on a guy who has been to the SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Let me clarify. Unbelievable that they gave up that many picks for a 32 year old QB who has major back issues. Like I said earlier I believe McVay's patience wore out with Goff. Not that I think that Goff is a bad QB.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not saying that the player they traded for was unbelievable CK! Not that at all. :) All I am stating is that the premise of teams giving up a Kings Ransom of picks is a lot more commonplace than when I first started watching back in 2008. Such a trade would be lunacy back in those days.

• Agree Agree x 1