1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Stafford

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Disco1981, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The way that I read his contract info on spotrac, he would cost $20 million in 2021 and $23 million in 2022 if his contract is not modified. This can be reworked with an extension, but I’m sure that any extension would command quite a bit of new money.

2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Without a hole to run through, a waste of a draft pick.

3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’d expect Denver and New England to be very interested and they have top 10-15 picks to trade respectively.

Denver have the ninth overall pick, that should nearly do it, all things considered. They have been a disaster drafting the position and they have a lot of things in place, great young receiver corp, improved line etc. A proven veteran like Stafford would make a lot of sense for them.

4. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    So absent a reworking, he’d cost as much as Ben next year...plus a draft pack or two. Yikes.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO...I hope we don't get M. Statsford. I have never liked him. Even in Georgia. I believe he's the biggest reason they've never been able 2 run the ball. People complain about Ben wanting lately 2 just throw...Statsford has almost always been that way....+ I don't like him.:lolol:

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'd probably give up watching Steelers football after 45 years.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hope so. He will break down again mid season. His pride made him throw 501 yards against the clowns when he already threw the game away. Plus he seem not to be a workout warrior.

Without a solid line it would be like what we have seen this past season. A new direction for the O line dedicated to the run. But they will draft a RB.

I'm sure he won't be looking for a 2 year rental

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Stafford is definitely a tough dude. No doubt you’d be getting a competitor. Not really sold on going after him at 32 years old and what it would take to acquire him. I’d have to hear what the draft capital would be before being on board.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Statsfords and Sons

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, TJ is the heart and soul of the defense right now. We must find a way to make him a Steeler for life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think that is one thing that would really need some thought (not that I believe the steelers are going for him). He will be 34, still in his prime, but as we have generally seen rapidly coming to the end of his prime. He may indeed be productive for 5 years, but if you extend at current guaranteed dollars it is much like the Steelers did with Ben, gambling that the production will still be there on an aging QB who has taken a lot of abuse on that body.

I like him and feel if he goes to the right place that only needs a player of two he could elevate a team not only into the playoffs, but a SB contender. I think that window may have passed for us.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Straight up? I'd make that trade right now. He lead the league last season with a 112.4 QB rating on a garbage team and is only 26. People get all emotional because of what TJ Watt can do defensively. But the NFL has become a pass happy, offense based league. Teams without a top 10-12 QB have trouble even getting in the playoffs let alone making much noise once they do. I'm not denying what TJ brings to this defense, but he can be replaced with a competent player a hell of a lot easier than Roethlisberger can be replaced with a better, younger player. To me it's a no brainer. However, I seriously doubt the Texans will do it straight up. They would probably still want a draft pick and or another player at which point, it's not worth it to the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It worked the last time they did it, just sayin'

14. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    While I would not be opposed to Stafford if Ben retires.....I think some of you just want Ben gone.

First in Detroit they call him Statt Paddsford (which is hilarious)

But the guy you say is over the hill and breaking down has out produced him statistically.

Let's look at the last 3 years

BEN
    33 games. 21-11-1
    886 of 1345. (.658%)
    9283 yards (281 a game)
    77 TD 27 INT

MATT
    40 games. 14-25-1
    893 of 1373. (.650%)
    10360 yards (259 a game)
    66 TD 26 INT

Their #s not that different.... but if you keep Ben your getting those #s for 41 mill in 2021 (which is why they will most likely push a few bucks down the road)

But if you go get Stafford... you lose draft picks... Ben is still on the books for 19 mill.. plus you have to pay Matt 10 mill for 2021

So 29 mill and rumored multiple high draft picks...or 41 mill(before restructure) and keep your draft picks

If they cut him..Im more interested... but if it's a trade...l just ride with Mason or Haskins at the bargain and keep my draft picks

HACK

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    With the list of names of players like Stafford, Ingrahm, Chad Henne, Haskins, Winston, Watson, JJames, etc growing and being added each day from posters who dream that these players will miraculously make a difference for us, none of them address our greatest need right now. Ben will probably be back so none of them will matter regardless in 2021. So I am hoping the people that matter in the organization looking at realistic names are figuring out how to rebuild a dominating OL and thereby a running game that isn't dead last in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Looking at the last three years doesn't help much. Roethlisberger was still a damn good quarterback in 2018, and he barely played in 2019. What you need to do is look at not just the statistics, but the film from 2020. Roethlisberger broke down. By the end of the season, he couldn't move or throw accurately down the field. That second half against the Colts looks more and more like a fluke.

Stafford still has his mobility. He still has the fantastic arm. He's not a future Hall of Famer like Roethlisberber, but in 2021, there is zero doubt that he is the better option.

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    New England makes some sense, but the Patriots have some rebuilding to do. They will be getting some help back from guys who opted out in 2020, but the offense is severely lacking in weapons, especially receivers.

I'm not sure the Broncos would want to give up a pick that high and take on the salary. I'm not sure they are good enough to be a quarterback away from contention. It really depends on the draft pick price tag for them.

The Colts or Saints would make more sense as destinations.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    If we did not have these posts then how could we expect the Steelers to sign everybody? Of course you are correct, the obvious path to rebuild the line is through the draft, perhaps being able to sign Banner on a one year prove it for the experience and depth.

Most of the chatter is just regular off season stuff, and while most if just far our fantasy I do see a realistic role for someone like Jesse if he were to be cut. That type of sign is not expecting anything miraculous, but just acknowledging that signing a vet like that (whether it be him or someone else) is needed for depth. Of course lack of money will be an issue (always is), but we are not going to every roster spot and even back up roles with rookies.

19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I love Stafford... but, no. We need to rebuild the O and find the next franchise guy. I'd be more interested next off season after a year focusing on the OL and other things. We'll have $ next year, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Marvology

Marvology Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2019
    Detroit fans were doing cartwheels when Jim Caldwell got canned for Matt Patricia. Who cares what losers think.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Saints might struggle to fit his contract in as well, they will do well to get under the cap from where they are. Indianapolis is an ideal spot for him, ticks all the boxes

Re Denver I probably wouldn’t give up a top 10 pick for him either but they could always look for a second or third back, they must be nearing desperation there with the musical chairs at QB in recent years. They can afford the contract, they are a couple of million under now, and will presumably move on from Miller and Bouye, freeing up another $30m +. They have some really good weapons with Sutton, Jeudy, Patrick and Fant, and their line is serviceable. That’s a good offence if you plug in a good QB, Lock is useless

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And I hope the people in charge can walk and chew gum at the same time. They aren’t going to focus solely on the Oline and would be foolish to do so.

They signed Haskins so that was obviously a name worth talking about. Ben probably will be back but he shouldn’t be, not sure why people discussing ideas for a replacement on a message board bothers you. Kind of the point of message boards. Steeelrs blew up the norm when they went out and got Minkah.

If you think they won’t address TE with the motley crew behind Ebron, you’re sadly mistaken.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's what I've always called Stafford...Statsford...because...I think that's all he cares about

24. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    Anybody but Ben, gimme Nate Peterman.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m all in fo Stanford. One question. Who is going to coach him????