1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Teams

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Mar 21, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's gone largely undiscussed... but the Steelers Special Teams units are going through a lot of turnover this offseason (normal). Not the most exciting topic... but nonetheless... it's March.

We saw some pretty terrible special teams play when the team lost key starters on the units (DHB, Thomas, Nix, Johnson). And we are facing the departure of other key contributors to each unit.

I can't say this with 100% confidence for the entire year, but this is what I have for the baseline "depth chart" on special teams. The bolded is who we need to replace (either because they are not on the team, they are now a starter, or they just plain suck.

KR Unit 2016
    Front Line: Moats-Fort-V.Williams-Chickillo-Shamarko
    Wedge: D.Johnson-Golden-Nix-Hargrave
    KR: Touissant-Coates (Gilbert)

V.Williams replaced with S.Johnson/Matakevich
    Shamarko replaced with Dangerfield
    Toussaint replaced with Knile Davis

Kick Coverage Unit 2016
    Shamarko-S.Davis-Nix-Fort-V.Williams-Boswell-Toussaint-Chickillo-Moats-Burns(Gilbert)-DHB

Shamarko replaced with Dangerfield
    S.Davis replaced with Golden
    Burns replaced with Sensabaugh

Punt Coverage Unit 2016
    Gunner/Line: Shamarko / V.Williams-Chickillo-Warren-S.Davis-Fort / DHB
    Wing/UB: Touissant-Nix / Golden

Shamarko replaced with Sensabough
    S.Davis replaced with Dangerfield

Punt Return Unit 2016
    Front Line: Moats-Fort-V.Williams-Nix-Chickillo-Toussaint
    Jam: Shamarko-Coates-DHB-Burns(Gilbert)

V.Williams replaced with Matakevich
    Shamarko replaced with ????
    Burns replaced with ????

Not sure we have the right guys to fill this role

So... something to worry about... the number of guys that would be "4 Phase" special teamers... increases. For veterans who are truly special teamers, that don't usually see rotational snaps this is usually ok. Guys like S.Johnson and Dangerfield. I worry about having Chickillo and Moats on every unit, as they are going to see a likely increase in snaps as Harrison is surely not playing every down, and Jarvis is gone.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    When you are a Steelers fan, special teams are always something to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    a good time for some young guys to open some eyes and find a place on the team. getting johnson back helps coverage units. it depends on who stays. fort? i hope so. DHB? sensibaugh. matakevich. nix if he stays healthy, all these guys should be solid coverage guys if they are all still here. dixon, ducre, shabaz, davis, dangerfield all have the opportunity to make a claim for a spot. the rookie class. who wants to play and stay is always interesting. MT loves a try hard guy in preseason. :cool:

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    RPO - you discuss all the ST turnover at great lengths - but why is Danny Smith still here? He appears to be the weakest link on ST. Where's Bobby April when you need him????

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I like Danny Smith. We were the 5th overall in Special Teams in 2014. I think we took a hit this year in coverage, especially from the loss of DHB and Shamarko for long stretches.

I think we have excellent Punt Return and Coverage units
    We have a great FG unit
    Our Kick Coverage could use some improvement
    Our Kick Returns are a joke

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Maybe Knile Davis could help us in the KR department. We haven't had a threat back there for a while.

7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Really I believe he needs to go back to the chewing gum he was using in 2014...

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    How is this calculated?

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    consistency was troubling. look great for two or three ST's plays and then look like they had never done it before. penalties is another factor. we need to limit some of these.:cool:

10. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Average rank of all 4 units

KC = avg starting field position
    KR = avg yards per return
    PC = net yard per punt
    PR = avg yards per return

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yep. I will say that it seems we've tried to address in years gone by but it definitely always seems like an afterthought ultimately. However, AB has had some spectacular plays in returning punts. It's returning kicks that always makes me cringe. I can sort of understand not trying to heavily invest in an ace kick returner these days though because special teams is basically being phased out under the "player safety" crap anyway. I've said before that I'm glad Hester came along when he did because if he hadn't most of the kicks he would have returned would have just sailed to the third row while he stood there watching. I've always enjoyed watching special teams when there's a genuine threat with the ball in his hands but instead we are treated to guys like Fitz... yeah...

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Gerry Dulac reporting that Steelers will not bring back Shamarko Thomas. I know big shocker, but will have some affect on special teams. Kind of why I wanted the Steelers to sign ex Broncos Kayvon Webster. Great gunner on STs. oh well.

13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    NFL Owners meet next week to discuss 2017 rule changes, one new rule likely to pass is leaping over lineman on extra points and field goal tries that probably will be banned, discussing changing the overtime period from 15 minutes to 10 minutes regular season but keeping it at 15 minutes for post season, also changing the protocol for coaches challenges by the refs and allowing more plays to be open to challenges, plus more changes to be looked at...........

14. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Speaking of rule changes - (I know off topic a bit) but how about the WBC extra inning rules - you get spotted at the top of the 10th with a guy at first and second base with no outs and go from there - same in bottom of 10th and on and on. That's almost like college football OT with the ball at the opponents 20 YL. NFL OT is still troublesome - especially when the Patsies wrack up another SB title in OT. :puking:

15. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    When's the last time we returned a kick for 40+ yards?

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Not many people think of special teams but I always feel it's 1/3 importance just like offense and defense. Great special teams can boost both offense and defense even further. It's a shame it's our weak link. Killed our Denver game for sure. Pats had bad ST but great offense and defense. Got to be really good in at least two facets.

I realized Im captain obviously

17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I think punting/punt returns is the key ST. Kickoffs? Everything's a touchback these days. And if your kick return squad can't average 15-17 yards ... yikes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I looked at best special teams tacklers in 2016 ranked 1 to 81, Matakevich was ranked at number 9, Nix ranked 48, coates and thomas ranked at 81, yeah we need an up grade on ST to get more players on the list.........

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017