1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Special Teams Have/Will Cost This Team

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Franco65, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Franco65

Franco65 New Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Other than our return game which is good with Antonio Brown, we have below average special teams. Major problems with the center of our lines giving up two blocked kicks in consecutive weeks (yes, one was fortunately called back). Sepulveda looked terrible yesterday. Suisham just isn't very good. He is in the bottom 10 of NFL kickers. I told my son before the year started, he will miss a game winning field goal this year. It hasn't happened yet, but I think it will. We probably won't make a change this year, but we better either draft a kicker or sign a free-agent. I have almost no confidence in him over 40 yards. Our coverage units are average at best and are greatly helped by the 5 yard change in kickoffs. I hope special teams won't cost us a game, but I think they will.

2. BurgherBoy7

BurgherBoy7 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, I posted about Suisham on here yesterday too! I dont have much confidence in him as a kicker at all, last year was not as bad, but he is just not consistent this year. I dont think sepulveda is that bad if he can stay healthy....If you watched the vikings game last night and saw their punter, you would think sepulveda is an all star compared to him. But the blocks are an issue as well! And dumb penalties such as the Mundy ruffing the kicker which gave the jags new life and they marched down and scored. And for the record, i think Antonio Brown is gonna take one to the house here pretty soon, he's been getting good returns and I think he's gonna bust one here any day now

3. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Meh, our ST's is not as bad as it was just a couple seasons back. I see an improvement since then TBH. Especially having AB. I do wish we would have kept Fox though instead of Foote. Nothing personal against Foote but IMO Fox was just as good BUT also played on ST's. And was good on ST's.

Honestly I wish ST's was all we had to worry about. :-(

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    The lost kicks are really just unacceptable. I hated the new punt return rule for the first few minutes until I realized how much that helps us. It's really weird that we have ST issues that don't involve returns.

5. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sepulveda had a bad game. It happens. I agree that Suisham will cost us eventually. Hopefully it's just a regular season game.

6. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think we need to spend a 4th or 5th round pick next year and get the best kicker availale. Sepulvda is good, but Suisham needs to go.

7. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Our special teams have been worse, this last game was just an especially bad showing. The biggest thing we need to do is draft a kicker next year.

8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    do they really need to draft one? can't they just pick up an UFA?

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My thoughts exactly. Are there better kickers then Suisham? Sure, but he is good enough that we don't have to waste a draft pick on one.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Wha wha what :blink: Good grief, I would think our Oline is our biggest need to address next year. Kicker isn't even a blip.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    While we all know Suisham isn't the greatest kicker,I think what bothers me more is the timing in the game of these long distance attempts. Why would you try a 46yd field goal leading i believe 17-3 at the time ,against a offense that has done nothing at that point against you.You would be better off going for it or trying to pin them deep with a punt either scenario would at least be good practice for in a tight game against a tougher opponent. Is it me or does Coach T have a propensity for attempting these long field goals at the improper time,especially at Heinz. Giving teams a short field after a miss is a bad idea,I think. Dont even get me started on our red flag challenges (horrendous).

12. kwebste6

kwebste6 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ive been taking some time and looking at our stats from previous years. Suishams stats for last year were phenomenal. He was 14 attempts out of 15. The one FG he missed was from 40-49 yards, although he was 8 of 9 on fg between 40-49 yards last season. I'm hoping he can turn it around fast this year!