1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

SPECIAL TEAMS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Our Steelers are playing too well on both sides of the ball to be let down by
    special teams. Something needs to be tried so we can flip field position etc.
    The O and D are playing their tails off. We need contributions from the special teams.
    Y
    ou wander why the Ravens are so good,they play all 3 phases of the game.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Boswell has been terrific. Berry pretty good besides a bad punt at a bad time yesterday. Our punt coverage has been pretty good. Not a fan of the short kick offs . They are backfiring on us. KO returns are few and far between. Obviously if you follow my posts I’m extremely disappointed in our punt returns, but to some that doesn’t seem to be very important .:shrug:. As far as penalties? Not sure of the numbers but they seem about average,for us. There is room for improvement IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    As far as ST penalties go:

2018 the Steelers led the league (27).
    2019 they are currently sitting 4th.

These aren't good stats.

4. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Our STs get penalties like Danny Smith chews sticks of gum

5. Pappy928

Pappy928 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2019
    Couple other stats:

Steelers are 28th in average punt return yardage at 5.2. (or we could be worse...Green Bay is dead last at ...drum roll... NEGATIVE 1.3 yards per)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The offense isn't playing well enough. They need to score more points. There's probably not much help in the return game unless one of the other players (18 or 40) steps up. 18 and 40 are probably the only 2 players on the rosters that could offer the return game a boost. Are those players ready from a ball security stand point?

7. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Here’s what bugs me the most. We have not demonstrated that we can stop a KO return. Yet, rather than booting it out of the end zone, we consistently kick short to let the other team start at the 35-40 yard line

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure that those are always intentional. Maybe Boswell just can't put them all in the end zone.

The penalties are inexcusable. It's another reason that Smith should have been gone long before now. Boswell has been great and Berry has been very good. Other than that, the special teams are a considerable weakness.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Switzer's defenders need to see that statistic. One of the excuses often made for him is that returns are down around the league. Clearly, he is well below average.

10. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    To be clear...... there were 4 ST penalties .... Boswell who has been great had one, false start!!!! Two other was from Robert Spillane , ILB who replaces Gilbert lll who was placed on IR........

Cajun

11. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    How Danny Smith retains a job is beyond me.

I'm not a 'fire coach X immediately' kind of person, but I've wanted Smith gone long before Butler and Fichtner took over. I seem to think he's had one decent season here.

12. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I am on record as wanting to keep D. Spencer over Switzer.... I guess he tried too hard to impress and made some poor decisions ...... I was actually ok with keeping Switzer because he makes the smart decisions and doesn’t fumble....and is athletic ....... quick footed!!!!

Problem is he is totally ineffective running with the ball... and that is a big deal!

He needs to be replaced because smart play is good but production is king!!

Cajun

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Special teams is my least concern right now. Do not get me wrong it is a concern.

However, the Offense still has to be the #1 issue. We need to score points and more points. Now, if STs can assist in that department, (Besides Boswell), then great. The "O" is still leaving points on the field. We need TDs to build comfortable leads so we do not have to count on STs in that regards. Yes, and again, if STs just stays within their job parameters then that is going to go a long way.

Unfortunately, up to this point, we have not be able to count on them for any great field position production or scoring of any type. At some point they have to get on board with contributing. It would be nice to see a blocked punt or FG attempt that leads to points. The "D" has to keep doing its thing, and even more, if that is possible. That is imperative. They are our strongest unit. Again, the "O" must capitalize on the opportunities that the "D" is giving them. it also seems that the "D" is starting to hold leads for us late in the game. That is critical. No more blown leads by the "D" as well. I am starting to feel somewhat comfortable in regards to that aspect of them. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Boz made an amazing comeback after we were calling for his head last season. There has got to be someone out there that can receive punts and kickoffs better then what we have now.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes let's address the special teams.

one way overnight to: po box any friggin where but here, usa. No return address needed.:cool:

16. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I too have been on that train!!!! But did you see that fake punt attempt by the Rams ??? Man that was a thing of beauty!!! As soon as the Rams shifted our boys shifted exactly as they should, didn’t get fooled or call for a off sides penalty then made the play and even got a turnover !!!

I’m sorry but that was ALL coaching!! They were properly prepared and ready.

I am giving Smith some love on that one!!!

Cajun

17. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    I think our biggest problem is playmakers....

ST is made of reserve players and we didn’t make the best decisions there....

Chick is a good ST and Tuzar didn’t play ST!! Why???? Switzer is quicker and faster than Eli Rodgers but Eli had as good or better production.... and Spencer was the best of them all.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

Yes, somebody needs to step up on STs and contribute something in a big way. We are winning close games and a TD by STs could go a long way one of these days. The rules of the game, especially for KOs has really taken a lot of the excitement out of the games. Thank Roger the "dic" for that. KOs use to be exciting. Now, they have a very, very minimal impact to the game.

As far as punt returns, Roger has not "f-ed" that up yet. I think? He will, given time. Now, there we could still have some opportunities on Special Teams to do something for crying out loud. This brand of the NFL has become so watered-down it just sickens me. STEELWINDS

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Good point, well made.

I seem to remember the Pats tried some kind of trickery on a punt play last year and the STs didn't fall for it at all then either. So maybe I should give Smith credit for some things.

20. cajunyankee

Oct 27, 2011
    Yeah, I’m trying to gather the words to give some credit to Butler but they aren’t tasting very well right now.....

Cajun

21. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    WERE ALL CAPS REALLY NECESSARY IN THE THREAD TITLE?

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    YES.

23. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    OK

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    It is that urgent, have to win in all 3 phases. Why do you think
    NE, Balt win so frequently? Pretty easy answer. They win
    in all 3 phases of the game. Don't you think if our ST could flip
    the field in certain situations it may help our offense or defense?