1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Speaking of Caddyshack..............

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by MojaveDesertPghFan, Jun 15, 2016.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I was flipping through news stations today and Brett Baier on Fox News was interviewing the Dalai Lama who was in DC visiting POTUS and - I couldn't believe this - asked him if he had ever seen the movie Caddyshack and the Lama says "what..no I haven't" and then Brett asked him if he ever played golf and the Lami says "no - just tennis". Brett says "I just had to ask you because your name comes up in that movie in one scene" - meanwhile the whole film crew and production folks are laughing in the background and Brett says "Well I just had to ask you about this and clear up this mystery." Very funny scene with the joke over the head of the Lami - so I guess Carl Spackler (Bill Murray) will NOT be gifted "Total Consciousness" on his death bed! So he now has nothing going for him. :roflmao:

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually Harold Ramis was friends with the Dalai Lama. I'd say he might have been telling a bit of a fib or he has gotten senile. He surely has to know about Caddyshack if he was friends with the great Harold Ramis. Or maybe he was just more of a Ghostbusters fan like me?

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I can see the senile part possibly - they showed pictures of him with like 7 or 8 Presidents and he never changed. Harold was indeed "Genius" - I didn't know about him and the Lama having a friendship - knew about the Beatles and the Maharishi (hence the sitar influence). For old time's sake here it is:

"Carl Spackler: So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas.

Angie D'Annunzio: A looper?

Carl Spackler: A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice"

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe he forgot 'cause he was hangin' out in Carl's room, "...it's a cross between Kentucky bluegrass and northern California sincemilla!"

• Like Like x 1
  5. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    My favorite line in Caddyshack is when Chevy Chase says "Do you do drugs, Danny?" and Danny says "Yeah" and Chevy Chase says "Good". LOL!!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Or the line that's mostly overlooked, after the fight in the caddyshack when Bill Murray's brother tells one of the caddys, "pick up that blood!"

• Like Like x 1
  7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012