1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Something about Ben just seems different...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Sep 28, 2020.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Watching him the first few weeks of this season he just looks like a completely different guy from even 2 or 3 years ago. Maybe it has to do with him having a year off and having a better appreciation of the game. It just seems like his work ethic is different and his approach to the game is as well which is a very good thing for the Steelers. Whatever the case may be I like what I see from this Ben so far through 3 games and there is no reason to think things might not get even better as we move forward.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I honestly think that Ben believed he was done after he got injured last year. To him, he’s probably playing on borrowed time and the time off has also likely rejuvenated him and given his body some much-needed rest and recovery. He’s clearly a bit rusty, especially with the deep balls, but he just seems like he’s having fun and that’s really all that matters, especially in the beginning of the season. He has a few weeks before I will put much merit in communication issues and deep ball issues.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    As long as he's not throwing Int's. I'd rather Ben's deep throws be too deep than too short, if they're not going to be on target.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I think he's playing his last season and he knows it. That's what is different.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    A wife, 3 children and a return to Faith is probably what you are seeing. I think the seriousness of the moments left in his career are reflective of missed past opportunities. He knows his time is short as a player and is trying to be the leader that his team needs him to be to make another SB run.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    As all members on this board over 35 can attest to, with age comes maturity.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I really believe like Bettis, he wants to go out on top with a title. It cements his legacy and other than Brady, IMO makes him the 2nd best QB in the league over the last 20 years. He would have 4 SB appearances and 3 titles with his only loss coming to Aaron Rodgers who may be 3rd or 4th on that list. It would also put Pittsburgh at 7 Superbowls.

I also think maybe just as important to Ben now is being able to enjoy a title with his children and share that memory, this is truly PRICELESS.

• Like Like x 2
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    As long as Ben finishes the season healthy, I fully expect him to play in 2021.

Having missed a full season, I think Ben is fully healthy for the first time in a long time. I'm sure a big part of him wants to prove to the world, and himself, that he's still got it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Maybe with this defense he believes that he no longer has to win games. I think for a lot of years after the last Super Bowl, the offense had to win games, and that put a lot of pressure on him. Now, he just doesn't have to lose them. During the years of the Killer B's, we always talked about how the offense should put up 30 points a game, and they needed to. Now, not so much.
    Plus, I'm pretty sure that his arm feels better than it has in years.

• Like Like x 2
  10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Matt Canada? He did well at Pitt with little to work with. Ben might have had 100 more passing yds Sunday but for several dropped but very catchable tosses. I agree with GroutBrook - better he overthrows than come up short and ripe for picks. I think his timing with the various receivers will improve as the season progresses and more importantly he avoids the type of hits he took Sunday.

• Like Like x 2
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’ve been fighting that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    It's what one accomplishes from Pampers to Depends that counts. :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    He did say that the arm has been bothering him for 13 years. I know he feared getting surgery all that time, but now that it had to happen, and he's past it, I'm sure he has more confidence throwing with his arm not being in as much pain. Just wish he would have done something about it a long time ago.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Keep in mind that Ben is playing with a brand new arm.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Unfortunately, that is simply not true.:huh:

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Yeah, he knows the window is closing on his career soon, he’s a stubborn and fierce competitor, The focus is definitely there. He wants another ring.

• Like Like x 2
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sadly true.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Should have won against the Packers. It was the beginning of the end of a once proud defense and it has taken years to get back to prominence.

Ben will play next season. He seems to be in the best shape of his career ( I was one to have concern about his girth last season) He knows that to many years have fallen by the wayside to even sniff another Super Bowl appearance which leads back to the lack of defense. He now has a defense that is a force again and I feel barring injury that we could see a deep run. But I temper my excitement a bit due to its only after 3 games but the fast start has me feeling positive. Time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ben looks more measured this year, taking less chances. After reviewing film, I loved when he came to practice last week and told Matt Canada he wanted to work on his foot work, and it helped.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I can't help but repeat this........

Ben is, in essence, playing with a brand new arm. That has to take some getting used to!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    And a sense of urgency, not many chances left.

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Nuh uh! Ya booger head!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    He didn't say we embraced that maturity, just that it came with age.

24. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Speak for yourself. ;)

But yeah. You do mellow out a bit and appreciate things more.

25. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Hell, he's playing with a better arm. I think that's half of his deep ball problems. He doesn't know his own strength yet. The rest is timing which will come.

• Agree Agree x 2