1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some things I learned watching other teams the last 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BK99, Dec 24, 2011.

1. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Well the Steelers weren't on T.V. for the Rams this week but the today I watched the Ravens and actually watched my friends DVR recordings of Ravens games all season. He has Sunday Ticket and is a Ravens fan and I learned a lot about the Steeler from watching other teams play the Ratbirds. The game the ratbirds lost to the Chargers, Rivers had a lot of time to throw, Suggs was a non factor, and he seems to only show up against the Steelers otherwise he is a good solid defensive player but he is great against the Steelers. Today he was contained again and Hillis went over 100 on the ground and we know it is the play of our o-line that hampers the run game but I never realized how bad the Steelers o-line actually is until this week. I watched a total of 15 games, and we, myself included, yell about not getting any pressure on the QB but I found out is pretty much the same for other teams except when playing the Steelers. I compared the Steelers o-line to everyone else in our division and on the schedule and we are piss poor and that isn't stat wise, it is actual game watching. The ratbirds are not much better than the Steelers when it comes to rushing the passer but whatching us play them you'd swear to God that they couldn't be stopped but it isn't the case. Anyway, from all the games I watched, even the weak teams seem to have at least average lines and what the Steelers put on the field isn't even close to average, and I see now. I knew the line was bad and the biggest reason this team can't run the ball but from what I saw in all the games I watch over the least 2 weeks the unit that starts for the Steeler is diasterous in terms of playing ability, in fact I'm amazed we made the playoffs and that tells you how good the players in the skilled positions really are. Anyway, I always thought the secondary was so bad they needed to be upgraded by being the first concern come draft time, well I changed my mind. Next seasons draft needs to be o-line, RG, LG, RT and LT, we need players that can start at LG andLT immediately and depth for the RG and RT. Ramone Foster and Kemo need to be released, both aren't NFL caliber players. I apololgize for the rant but watching all those games really got me riled up after the San Fran loss and to really see how bad the o-line is makes for some sobering anyalasis.

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    Re: Some things I learned watching other teams the last 2 we

agree we have people that would not be in any other nfl roster . essex scott foster

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Im sure it will be addressed in the draft...until then we got to play with what we got

4. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Any team that knows that have to play the Steelers, they get ready for us by watching game films on where our weaknesses are and study the play calling. That is other teams super bowl when they can beat the Steelers at Hines field or away.

5. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011

Last time the Steelers played the Ravens Suggs was manhandled by Gilbert and Starks and they were effective running the ball. Suggs made a play on an interception because he could not get penetration and peeled off the line. Most teams have problems on the offensive line. The Texans are supposed to have the best line in the NFL and the Bemgals and Panthers dominated them.
    If Colon is healthy next year, shift him to right guard and draft/pick up a left guard and they will dominate.

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

I mentioned this in another thread and the common factor with us playing well against other teams is the oline. That is exactly why we can't put away sub-par teams (except for today). The oline of foster,essex,legursky and kemo is well below average. We need some serious upgrade over these guys. Just imagine if we never brought back Starks? I shutter the think of what we would be. Starks, Pouncey, and Gilbert would the only people that would definitely have a job next year. Everyone else would be put on notice. I would keep Legursky as back-up center though. But the rest would be back-ups at best.

7. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011

Great observation and I couldn't agree more. I mentioned this in another thread.

8. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011

Been thinking this all year. Yes, we need to beef up the O-Line considerably. Especially, since everything offense-related continues to be pass, pass, and more pass. Ben's not getting any younger! ;)

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

The Steelers for the most part are ALWAYS going to get the other teams
    A game, This is why the other teams call it STEELER WEEK.

Hell the Browns don't care if they win against the other teams on there schedule
    as long as they beat the Steelers. Their stupid fans don't know what a real football team looks like
    until they play the STEELERS the greatest team on the PLANET.

10. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Couldn't agree more and that's why I keep saying this team without BA will not be anywhere near the offensive power house everyone thinks it will be. We can have a brilliant OC but if nothing happens with the line we will continue to struggle offensively. Football isn't rocket science. A perfect strategy and game plan doesn't mean chit if the big boys up front aren't winning the individual battles with the guys lined up across from them and our line loses those battles way too often.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

Yeah but do you improve their chances of winning those battles if you are asking them to use a scheme that they physically can't perform? Now while I may be in the minority I don't think the Oline is as bad as they appear because when they go to a scheme they can execute they seem to do well. When they go back to zone blocking the still looked confused. I would like to see all five of them play with a chip on their shoulders and get after defensive players, however more and more it seems like they listen to the talking heads. "Well we aren't suppose to be good so it is ok if we get beat so long as Ben works his magic" so in my opinion work to their strengths first and try to coach them up to what you want to do.

12. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

Is that coaching or is that the result of rarely having the same 5 guys line up beside one another for more than 3 games in a row which seems like that's also been a problem forever. Take the lack of talent add that to our never ending revolving door on the OL and it's pretty amazing we've won as many games as we have this year so maybe the coaching isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

13. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011

I think it's just a few guys that are not NFL talent. Essex, Foster, Kemo are not NFL caliber linemen in my opinion. I watch the oline extensively. They lack talent required to be above average offensive linemen. I don't know what round they were drafted, and I know that does not determine your success in the NFL, but I believe all these guys were drafted in the 5 round or below and Legursky and Foster was undrafted. Now, Pouncey was drafted in the first round and been in the league two years and he's our best lineman. Essex, Foster, Kemo been in the league a combined 10 years (not sure) probably longer and they can not come close to player that just came out of college.

14. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

Totally agree!!