1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some notes from Mike Mayock about this draft

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 16, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    For those of you that don't follow the players in the draft too much, pay attention to Mike Mayock. He's a guy that doesn't get enough camera time, but he knows his sh*t. I've heard he's had offers to be an NFL GM over the years but that he wasn't interested. So he's well respected in the league.

Some notes that he's been putting out there...

• This is a great draft for lineman, particularly on the interior of both sides. He said defensive tackle was the deepest position with potentially up to 7 of them getting a first round grade. Said it was also very deep at OG and C. This really bodes well for us. I think if we don't trade up for DeCastro we could get a very good guard in round 2, that would probably start.
    • Alshon Jeffrey is not worth a 1st round pick. He says that he has size, but he needs to run a good 40 because he has problems with keeping his weight down, and doesn't get good separation as a result.

• Not impressed with Vontaze Burfict at all and is definitely not even close to a first round grade. He makes a few big plays a game, but for the most part is not physical when he's engaged by a blocker, and get's blocked out of the play way too often. Says he "lacks instincts, runs around blocks, gets enveloped by blockers"

• Not a fan of Quentin Couples. Looks the part, but doesn't produce like he should.

• Says if the Eagles take Luke Kuechley in the first round he'd start at MLB from day 1 and hold down that position for years to come. Is a big fan of Kuechley in general, the guy is a tackling machine.

• Intrigued by Ryan Tannehill and expects him to be a first round pick

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    As to what you wrote:
    Glad about depth in interior line. Would love DeCastro, know we're not going to get him (hows this for a trade if he falls- our first and second for san diego's first and third? numbers work). Means we should be able to get strong players in the middle rounds (3 through 5) and can address other needs in one and two. And would probably start? Hell, we started Kemoeatu last year.

Jeffrey's may be pulling a Starks, eating himself out of a position. Not a good sign. He's been working out though, and if he runs a decent 40 at the combine (sub 4.5) he'll still go first round.We may be down to three WR from our roster from last year (Battle gone, Cotchery free agent, Hines- who knows?) If he falls to us in round 2 or 3, would it be a good move to have that 6' 4" wide receiver with hands for the red zone that we're lacking?

Have my ups and downs on Burflict, was really high on him last week, this week I hear nothing but negatives. Think this is a guy whose interviews at the combine may make the difference between first and fourth round. Someone will take a flyer on him in the second, I believe.

Not sure about Couples. Unless he screws up the combine, he's still the top straight d-lineman on most people's boards.

If the Eagles take Dont'a Hightower, Audie Cole, or any other 1st/2nd round middle linebacker, he'll start at MLB on day 1 and hold down that position for years. I like Kuechly too, but the Eagles starting him day one has nothing to do with how good he is, it has to do with the fact that the MLB's they have now are that bad. Hell, if Keuchly falls I would want the Steelers to take him.

Someone will take Tannehill in round 1, most likely by trading up into the 20's or 30's from day 2. Its also possible that if Osweiler wows at the combine someone may trade up in 1 for him, also.