1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Some love for Ben from The Baltimore Sun

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Edson Cardona, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Edson Cardona

Edson Cardona Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    From The Baltimore Sun
    Kevin Van Valkenburg takes a look at five things the Ravens' 23-20 come-from-behind victory over the Steelers taught us.
    Image 4 of 6

"4. It's a shame Ben Roethlisberger has garnered a well-earned reputation for being such an oaf as a person, because it makes it harder for people to appreciate how good he is.
    ( MCT photo / November 7, 2011 )
    And I believe he's one of the most fascinating athletes the quarterback position has ever seen.

This is going to sound like hyperbole, but I assure you it's not: Roethlisberger's fourth-quarter touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on Sunday was one of the five best throws I've seen in 20-plus years of watching the NFL. It really was that good. To throw a ball that accurately to a moving target when you're sprinting as fast as you can go to your right is just incredible. If you consider the gravity of the moment, the degree of difficulty is off the charts. I don't believe he was trying to hit Antonio Brown on that play, as I see some people are suggesting. I think Wallace was his target the entire time. He's just that good throwing the ball when he gets outside of the pocket. He might be the most versatile quarterback in the game.

You know who else shares that opinion? John Harbaugh. He was still shaking his head about that throw to Wallace after the game. Some quarterbacks, if you get to them with pressure, they're going to go down. It's just physics. Tom Brady can't stay on his feet if Terrell Suggs crashes into him. But if you hit Roethlisberger, the play is often just beginning. It's like trying to bring down a Kodiak bear who can accurately throw a deep square in.

There has been a lot of discussion this year about how valuable Peyton Manning obviously is, considering how dreadful the Colts have looked without him. But I think Roethlisberger covers up almost as many flaws for the Steelers. I really do. The Steelers’ running game is awful. Their offensive line is marginal. Their tight ends can't run away from anyone. Pittsburgh might not be winless without him, but they'd be in a ton of trouble. He covers up a ton of flaws with his toughness and mobility.

I understand why Ravens fans loathe him so much. Professionally, you have to hate your rival. And personally, he hasn't always conducted himself honorably, to put it mildly. But I hope, underneath that hatred, you appreciate how good he is, and why it's such a big deal to beat him in his own backyard."

2. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow that was actually very flattering. :eek:

3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That so-called praise was a set up for the end of the article.The dagger in the heart forbeating him in his own backyard.

4. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Did the author go on to mention how the Ravens were lucky to win? The Steelers dominatd the line of scrimmage (where was Suggs), refs made/missed some strange calls (if anything the last pass interference was a n offensive push off), and the Ravens continually made 3rd and longs. The secondary had an off day, but i dont see a repeat of all the 3rd and longs.
    Not sure exactly how many times the ravens fumbled or deflected balls to themselves.
    Just saying that Steelers dominated the line, could move the ball at will, bit only sucked getting off the field on 3rd and long (enter woodley and farrior).

Was confused by the defense on the last drive. I hate prevent, but vanilla blitzes leave people open and they needed a td, not just 3.

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Man flacco would never get that kind of love in Pittsburgh.....having said that it's easy to write something nice about someone after you just beat them for the second time this year

6. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That's a great article.

7. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    That is a great article. That being said i think it easy for that writer to do that article since the ravens came out on the winning side of that game. Something tells me that would not have been written after we beat them.

8. leveraged

leveraged Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Nice article.

I've always said, Ben fits in Pittsburgh. Not his personality mind you, but his toughness and playing style.

For alot of quarterbacks once they're out of the pocket, the play is over.

9. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sorry but I don't see how Baltimore converting 14 of 21 3rd downs was lucky. That's more than just the secondary having an off day and it's a repeat of what we saw earlier in the year and on many occasions last year. Yes our D did a great job versus the Pats a week earlier but that was as much about our offense keeping Brady off the field as it was the defense having a great day. Even in that game they were torched on a number of 3rd downs if I'm not mistaken. That said I think as a whole we were playing better than the ratbirds but if you're really the number 2 defense in the NFL you don't let your opponent march down the field 92 yards for the game winner especially when that opponents QB came in to the game with a lowly 54% completion rating and that's just what our D did :(

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Do you mean besides the interception he had that changed the outcome of the game? Yeah, we kept him at bay for most of the day but still, once again Suggs was a difference maker, hate playing that guy.

11. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL, Exactly ! I'm with you. I do really hate that guy :ratbirds:

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Good point. And it mirrors what Tomlin discussed in his press conference, last week. Many of the defensive stats may be close for Pitt/Balt, but Balt is causing lots of turnovers and making splash plays that Pitt is not. And that was a difference maker in the loss to them @ Heinz.

13. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dont believe as the writer points out that Brown was his target either. As good as Brown is he never moved up on the ball . He literally stood his ground awaiting the balls arrival and we all know what can happen in a situation like that. Wallaces speed was what turned what could have been an interception to a td.

Bman

14. sidsteeler32

sidsteeler32 Member

Oct 25, 2011
    uuh, didnt our defense force a 3 and out with approx 4 1/2 minutes left, after the Wallace TD? Our offense (with help of coaching staff) didnt close that game, IMO. I may be in the minority, but i give our D a pass on that last drive. Need I remind you no Woodley, Farrior and Worilds first game (i think)... ONE, just ONE first down further, and we close the game and run out the clock, or possibly get a field goal.

15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    quoting EdsonCardona
    There has been a lot of discussion this year about how valuable Peyton Manning obviously is, considering how dreadful the Colts have looked without him. But I think Roethlisberger covers up almost as many flaws for the Steelers. I really do. The Steelers’ running game is awful. Their offensive line is marginal. Their tight ends can't run away from anyone. Pittsburgh might not be winless without him, but they'd be in a ton of trouble. He covers up a ton of flaws with his toughness and mobility.I understand why Ravens fans loathe him so much. Professionally, you have to hate your rival. And personally, he hasn't always conducted himself honorably, to put it mildly. But I hope, underneath that hatred, you appreciate how good he is, and why it's such a big deal to beat him in his own backyard."[/quote]

Very complimentary of Ben and then goes on to trash the team overall. Really? He thinks Ben covers as many flaws for the Steelers as Peyton Manning does for the Colts. Give me a break! The Steelers were 3-1 last year WITHOUT Ben at the beginning of the season. There is absolutely no comparison. And since when does a TE have to be a speed burner. Give me Heath Miller anyday over any of the clowns the Ratbirds have at TE. In fact, give me Heath over any TE in the NFL!

16. tbrucemom

tbrucemom Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2011
    I love that pic of Ben, have one in my wallet, lol! It makes a great avatar. I think it must have been before his motorcycle accident though because he just seems to look a little different these days..

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Very complimentary of Ben and then goes on to trash the team overall. Really? He thinks Ben covers as many flaws for the Steelers as Peyton Manning does for the Colts. Give me a break! The Steelers were 3-1 last year WITHOUT Ben at the beginning of the season. There is absolutely no comparison. And since when does a TE have to be a speed burner. Give me Heath Miller anyday over any of the clowns the Ratbirds have at TE. In fact, give me Heath over any TE in the NFL![/quote]

Actually I agree with the writer mostly. First of all, this isnt last year so 3-1 means squat. Secondly, while I don't agree the running game is awful, it's not great either. Thirdly, he's spot on about the line and lastly, the TE's comment was kind of dumb and I think Heath would be a great weapon if he didn't have to stay in an block so much. But over all, yeah, this team would be in a lot of trouble without Ben.

18. 6stinkyfingers

6stinkyfingers Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Anyone know what the Steelers defense 3rd down "efficiency" is? I meant they were lucky to convert because they were in 3rd and long all game.