1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Soccer Ref killed by fans...

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Bleedsteel, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    Just read this in the local paper this morn, and had to find a link I could put on here...
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/fans-decapitate-soccer-referee-brazil-police-article-1.1391892
    My first thought was, "DAMN, they take their sport waaaayyyy too seriously!!!".
    Apparentley, the ref kicked a player out of a game, they got in a fight, ref pulled a knife, and stabbed the player, whereupon, his friends and family rushed the field, stoned the ref to death, then quartered his body, beheaded him, and stuck his head on a spike in the middle of the field!!!
    WOW!!!:eek:
    That`s just freakin crazy! Had to share...
    Not quite clear from the article, if the fans rushed the field at the time, or a week later, after they found out the player died on his way to the hospital... Not such a clear article...
    Either way... WOW!:shocked:

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    It happened as the player was being rushed to the hospital. He died later of his injuries.

There's a video floating around the web of this ref being examined, er, or... put back together at the ER. I don't recommend viewing it though unless you have a strong constitution and are already desensitized to those kinds of injuries. It isn't pretty. And, no. I'm not providing a link. Those who can handle that kind of thing will already know where to find it.

But back on point. The news has presented this as a mob of fans killing a ref. It would be more accurate to say a group of the players' relatives killed him in extreme retaliation. Messed up either way, but makes a bit more sense at least.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I saw the headline the other day on the blaze but didn't bother to read it because I thought it was just another story of insane soccer fans but dang man this is really messed up! That's some third world crap for sure.

4. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011

Doesn`t seem all that messed up, to me...
    I`ve always thought that`s the way OUR death penalty should work...
    Hand the perp over to the vicitm(s)`s families, and let them do what they want.(Assuming the victim(s), had family/friends, capable of that sort of thing)...
    Would save a lot of wasted time, and taxpayer money, and I don`t wanna hear about "cruel and unusual punishment", some people should give up that right, when they inflict cruel and unusual punishment upon their victims.
    But that`s just me, and I ain`t tryin to start a political debate here, so, `nuff said.

5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not to minimize the deaths of the player or the ref, but to clarify. The incident didn't happen in the organized leagues of Brazilian soccer, it happened in the equivalent of a "town team" baseball league. It's not inconceivable to imagine, some week end warriors playing extremely low level baseball somewhere in the USA getting upset and having an incident escalate and somebody getting shot. That's essentially what happened here. It wasn't in the equivalent of the major leagues, minor leagues or college ball. Again, I don't want to minimize the event, but I think people think it happened at the equivalent of an NFL game, and I just want to say that is not the case.

The incident happened in Maranhao, one of the least populated, poorest and most remote states in Brazil. And it happened in the back water there. I've been to Maranhao, so I know a bit about the place.

Brazilians are very passionate about their "football", you have to see it to really believe it. Steeler fans are passionate. Imagine the fans of every team in the NFL being just as passionate, and the NFL being the only sport in town, and you'll get the idea.

6. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    I hear ya...
    I`ve seen how passionate other fans are about their "true football", and I assumed this was a Major League Soccer event this happened at, even after reading the article.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    And like Ray said, this was more about the family/friends of the guy that died, than a random group of a certain team`s fans.
    Still, an unbelievable story to read...
    Just as unbelievable as if it happened in my very own crazy country.. ;)