1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So, you think Mike Tomlin should be fired?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 08SteelCurtain, Dec 14, 2020.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Are you saying Rypien and Hostetler defeated the mighty Bills? Nooooooo the out rage. OMG How could this ever happen in TEAM sports?

I swear people can witness "things" happen in sports for years and remain stuck on stupid.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Noll put together one hell of a team. The Cowpies did it also & SF somewhat. Cowher put together 2 good teams in 14-15 years, pretty damn impressive to me. Tomlin ??? Needs a few good runs for the SB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I've heard from plenty of irrational fans on both sides of Tomlin...but the Cowher haters always crack me up. They are the most irrational morons I've ever encountered.

Tomlin seems to have split the fan base. I'm from the "let the facts speak for them selves" camp. Tomlin's first 4 seasons looked good, really good. BUT he was winning with Cowher's staff and players for the most part. So there was some doubt Tomlin had the ability to truly coach the team on his own. If you are honest it was a reasonable opinion but also potentially wrong. In 2011 coming off a bad SB loss to an inferior packers team we looked great....went 12-4 and favorites to win the SB. Then came maybe the worst playoff choke job in steeler history...losing to the Broncos. We were out coached and embarrassed. Ever since that game we have been all over the place. no consistency. Just when I thought Tomlin was without a doubt a legit good HC 2010 and 2011 ended in choking. I wasn't sure what to think. He was clearly a capable coach but what he a good coach?

What has happened the last 10 years? The facts speak for them selves. Our expectations are higher than most teams given the QB and talent we have. We've had some very high quality assistant coaches as well. 10 years running I'd say this team has under achieved for the most part. 10 years is a lifetime in the NFL coaching world. If a good coach can't win playoff games with a great QB in 10 years then he aint a good coach. Mike McCarthy beat us in the SB and has since been fired from GB for lack of playoff wins. And rightfully so. If Tomlin's career started in 2010 or 2011 I think it would be tough to find many Tomlin supporters.

Besides the playoff failures for 10 years we have also had monumental player and locker room issues. 2020 really seemed to be a different season for the Steelers. Defense was playing great for the 2nd year in a row. Starting 11-0 and playing amazing defense w/ an old but very high quality QB seemed to be Tomlin's best coaching job yet...by far imo. Recently the offense has tanked and injuries are piling up on defense .... Tomlin now has to do what good coaches do...they shift gears and adjust. This is clearly been a problem for Tomlin for 10 years now...if he does it now..it's the first time he has ever done it.

4. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We play good enough to beat average teams...but not good enough to beat good teams. Good coaches have historically out coached Mike Tomlin. That's just a fact. It's a shame if it happens but if we are 1 and done this year...my opinion of Tomlin is cemented. He's not a good coach. He's an average coach with a good QB. People can learn and improve so Im' hoping that Tomlin has done that. Time will tell but I think 2020 is a make or break year for Tomlin. If we fail this season I don't expect success anytime soon. Once Ben leaves we'll be happy with 8-8 and that's probably what Tomlin is capable of. The facts support this.

Tomlin supporters typically use the player short comings as an excuse. I have 2 issues with this... one: How many teams can say they've had better talent? Not many. two: personnel problems can be an excuse once in a while...but if it's constantly the excuse then something is wrong. Good coaches find ways to win. Cowher found ways to win with bad QB's. You morons that say he had good QB's are morons. he didn't . Not until Ben came along. He got a few good years out of Neil O. He got a good year out of Kordell...but compare those years to any other actual good qb and they aint so good. The other thing cowher did was adjust and rebuild. Tomlin has rebuilt our team around Ben...but he's not shown any ability to adjust season to season ...or even in a game. This is his major flaw IMO. Tomlin just keeps trying to hammer the square peg into a round hole. The lack of discipline and content sloppiness from his teams has been a constant.

I'd say the first 10 weeks this year was probably the sharpest looking Tomlin team Ive seen ever. I hope we can get it together...we have time to do it. It's not about getting hot in week 1 or week 10. It's about getting hot come playoff time. We have to find our selves and do it fast. Cowher did it in 2005. Hopefully Mike can do it in 2020.

5. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Shula had a great QB. Parcells had one. Dungy had one. Landry had one.
    Ben's lack of success in the playoffs because Tomlin. :roflmao:

6. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    So wait now you want to flip the script and say we play good enough to beat average teams but not good enough to beat good teams?

The NFL isn't really about simply beating "good" teams. It's about finding ways to win as much as possible regardless of the opposition's record or perception of the opposition.

It's like La la la la land around here with some people.

This team isn't the same team that won 11 games.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  7. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Like I said the college coaches deserve most of the credit they're the ones dealing with the raw talent coming out of high school. It's just the beginning of when they're becoming the player they are today. Without a very good position college coach they wouldn't even make it into the draft, let alone become a 1st or 2nd round pick. The nfl coaches just re shape the ones who need the re-shaping into the teams style of D. Some learn it quicker than others . The main development is in college, the NFL guys get the easy part. Then you have cases where the nfl coaches will ruin a player by trying to turn him into something that they aren't.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, the Giants SB is the only one they should have won. I can only imagine what would be said about Tomlin if he lost 3 SB’s the way Levy did.

Speaking for myself though, I think getting to 4 straight SB’s is an amazing feat.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Your original statement was Tomlin took over an 8-8 team. Yes they were 8-8 in 06 but they were 15-1 in 04 and 11-5 (Ben missed a few games) in 05 Super Bowl champs. 06 Ben was in a motorcycle accident they went 8-8. 07 Tomlin in an interview said I ran them into the ground. 08 won the super bowl. Therefore the talent on the team inherited was super bowl caliber. Tomlin had nothing to do with it. That is the same scenario Dallas was in Jimmy Johnson got the Cowboys to a super bowl caliber team. Barry Switzer inherited the team. Soooo I guess in your opinion Barry Switzer is a hall of fame coach. Most Cowboy fans will tell you they would have won more if jimmy Johnson stayed. Including Troy Aikman.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s plenty to question about Tomlin the past decade (for example the Jville debacle after a 13-3 season), and there’s plenty to support claiming him being a very good coach (for example winning 11 in a row, including 2 playoff games after a 4-5 start in 2016). I can see both sides, and I think that on balance he’s better than at least 20 other head coaches in the NFL (and has been as other coaches have come and gone), but with just enough gaffes and stinker games to fall short of elite.

What I think is utter irrational :bscow: is any argument that he was just some sort of bystander in his early years. He won a championship in his second season, and got back to it in his fourth season, and did it during the peak of the Patriots dynasty.* Comparing him to Switzer is laughable. In year 4 Tomlin was back in the SB, while Switzer was fired after going 6-10 with Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Sanders, etc.

I think Tomlin is good enough to win another SB if the players stay healthy and perform. Neither of those things are happening right now. We’re beat up on defense and our future HOF QB is either injured or slumping (or both). The good news is we could conceivably have everyone important back for the playoffs other than, of course, Bush and Dupree. If Ben can get himself right again (whether physically, mentally, or both), we can win some games in the postseason.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They were rookies, and they had better receivers ahead of them, you don't know what the heck you're talking about :facepalm:. Green Bay was the better team in that game, the Steelers turned the ball over 3 times.

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Buffalo also had no competition back then, the AFC was weak, I would rather go 1-1 in the Super Bowl than 0-4. Evidently you aren't good at math :shrug:.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That's a dumb analogy, Switzer only lasted a few years and got fired.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not a Cowher hater, some fans overrate him though, he choked in the playoffs a lot too 1-4 in the AFCCG at home.

15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Saleh is a good head coaching candidate. The 49ers have had injuries on defense, plus the 49ers offense is like the 2019 Steelers offense, where the defense is effective, until it has to be on the field four extra possessions because the offense cannot move the chains.

Saleh and Bienemy will get coaching jobs this year.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It looks you're the captain dumbass here, because the only close Super Bowl Buffalo had was the first one against the Giants. The Bills got smoked by Washington, and by Dallas twice, they lost 52-17 with 9 turnovers :facepalm:. You might want to sit this one out :shrug:.

17. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Levy getting the Bills to 4 straight SBs is hard to dispute.

Levy>Mikey

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So you would rather lose 4 SB, or win 1 and lose 1?

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd rather have Ben than Jimbo in a must win game.

20. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Here is the reality of the situation. Once you are hired by the Steeler organization you have a lifetime job. Unless you retire, quite or die. It’s a fact we have all seen it over the years.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Arians, Haley, Porter says hi. Once Mikey quits making the playoffs he will be looked at imo. I don't see that scenario yet, I think Tomlin leaves when he decides to.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    He's talking about head coaches.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Who thinks Tomlin pushed LeBeau out? Or was he ready to get away from the players best friend?

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I would take 1 super bowl win with 9 years mediocrity vs 10 straight super bowl losses...

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    3 playoff wins in 10 years with stacked teams...Losing to Bortles and Tebow...Nah, My Maths fine Tomlin Dick Rider