1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So What Went Wrong with the Steelers Defense vs the Patriots?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 5, 2017.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    But they didn't. You missed the point.

Here are all of the things that helped Brady out in four of those five victories:

1. Ty Law pick 6
    2. Vinatieri field goal
    3. Vinatieri field goal
    4. Game saving interception at the 1 yard line
    6. Sack in field goal range

Not ONE of those things occurred with Tom Brady on the football field. This is a team sport. It is a team sport. And Brady has been blessed to play for a HC who has taken completely different teams, completely different sets of players, into the Super Bowl and gotten them to perform and win. Tom Brady doesn't draft or coach players on defense. He doesn't draft or coach the offensive line, either. And yet those units performs unbelievably well, no matter who's in and who's out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Um. Yeah. Except for the 2 drives to put AV in position to win the game... Come on now.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Their defense was tired in the second half, the Patriots ran 93 plays the Falcons pass rush wasn't as effective in the second half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bottom line the Steelers defense simply isn't good enough, it doesn't matter if they play man or zone they weren't going to beat the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Marino threw a better football better than anyone. He gets left out of the GOAT conversation because of the lack of hardware though and thats wrong.

6. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I think Dan will always be remembered as the "greatest to never win a Super Bowl". Jim Kelly doesn't get mentioned in the conversation either because he didn't ever close the deal. There is absolutely zero doubt that Dan was great but the conversation is about the greatEST and I don't think you can be considered the greatEST without the hardware to back it up.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kelly is another one, getting to 4 SBs in a row is an insane accomplishment.

Marino doesn't have the hardware but he held 26 records when he retired. 15 of them still stand :eek:

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Since Jim Kelly was brought up (rightfully), it is worth mentioning that he did the same thing against a better defense (coached by Belichick, no less) in SB XXV: drive his team into FG range to win the game. But his narrative is different, isn't it. Scott Norwood missed the kick. Was it Kelly's fault that his kicker missed? No, not any more than it was Brady's doing that Vinatieri made his kicks.

You say that Kelly didn't "close the deal." But somehow, in his first two SBs, Brady did? Because in both cases, it was up to the kickers.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I love Jim Kelly for sure. I think Jim Kelly was awesome. Was he the greatEST? No. There was no need for Adam Vinatieri the other night. Brady led his team down the field and scored a td and if not for Bennett trying to pull a Jackie Smith the SB would have ended before the White run. So you actually do consider Jim Kelly better than Tom Brady?

10. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I need to be clearer: all I am saying is that I am not keen on any argument about GOAT in regards to QBs. I pick on Brady because he is the one the media is annointing as the greatest when no such thing exists.

Both Kelly and Brady are greats. To determine greatest is impossible because every QB is playing under different circumstances.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017