1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So what’s wrong with our offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    If he wants some of that guaranteed $$$ he better get crackin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's one of the few he has caught, it seems like.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    And again, the point is, he didn’t catch it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Ben isn't the Ben of old anymore, he's just Old Ben. But, he could get more help from his receiving corps. Let's face it, they haven't lived up to their billing this year. I also agree with those that say even though he's a shell of his former self, he's probably still the best option at QB on the roster. That said, if he's struggling, I wouldn't hesitate to pull him. That in and of itself is a hollow hope since it will never happen except for an injury.

Let's face it, he should have been shown the door. The Band-Aid should have been ripped off this year and the rebuilding/retooling process should have began in earnest. Even if their defense regains some semblance of health and stays that way, this is a middle of the road football team. They are not a threat to make the playoffs let alone a SB contender. I hate thinking that way, but their offensive struggles the first couple of weeks are simply an extension of what we saw most of the second half of last season. I don't really see marked improvement along the way especially as long as Ben is doing whatever the hell he wants, and doing same at a low level. Keep in mind, I say this as I watch Sam Darnold engineer a drive against the Texans. It just makes me think, "What if?"

5. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    I dont think Claypool tracks the ball well

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This. However, the other side of the coin is that even if we get a decent OL, being predictable and going with a routine game plan still won't get the offense rolling. The culture of this team is that it worked in the past so its tried and true and by God we're sticking with it. Reminds me of Remember the Titans when the HC says something to the effect that they only have like 5 plays and give it time and it'll work. Not is the NFL it won't. We need innovation and new ideas and it's not happening and I don't think it will until some major changes are made. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    One of their biggest problems is not gaining enough yards on first downs, a handoff to Najee for 1-2 yards isn't going to cut it. They should throw more screen passes to Najee, get Freiermuth involved in the offense early, and no more 40 yard passes down field to Claypool on 3rd and 4 :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I wouldn't get so up about S. Darnold ....Yet. 1. Who have they beat ....even if they win tonight who have they beat. Jets a 2- 14 team (he was on last year) , A Saint team lead by a Qb with no winning seasons, and a 4 - 12 Texans team and that was with Watson.
    2. I guess that was my point. LoL.

9. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    AB better watch out for this D.J. Moore kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The OL is a train wreck. That’s easily the biggest issue. The Steelers cannot run the ball at all. And if you can’t run, teams are just going to sit on the pass all day long.

As for Darnold, yeah he’s playing well. But the Panthers averaged over 4 yards a carry playing mostly a backup RB. When’s the last time the Steelers averaged over 4 yards a carry in a game?

11. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    99/100 receivers wouldn't salvage that garbage throw, he's the only one on the team who would have gotten up and had his hands on it.

Najee doesn't beat three defenders who meet him in the backfield as he takes the handoff, but he's not to blame for that, either.

You guys are looking through the wrong end of the telescope.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I actually think Canada wants to do more and they can't because of the Oline.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Im not sure I’ve seen a RB screen so far this year from the Steelers.

15. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    We're keeping with good company there on the left.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    The Offensive Line is the team's biggest issue....as most of us knew it would be. So far it is a disaster. Did the Steeler braintrust think it would work?

17. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Maybe. He also hasn't been hit in stride on one deep ball this season. He has to jump over and thru players to make plays.

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Well James Washington wanted more opportunities in the passing game, here's his chance to step up with Diontae out.

• Like Like x 1
  19. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    When was the last time our line could run block?

How do you not know of Dave’s readiness to go until the day before camp?

Our receivers couldn’t get open, really?

How about having D Watt lead Najees way, can’t hurt to try right?

love the KGreen pick but you have to stay off the ground man!

It’s the pieces around Ben that are not performing, not Ben.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It is definitely our O-Line. Can't block long enough even for Ben to get the short passes off. Let alone, I will be very surprised if Najee can get a 1,000 yards due to the lack of run blocking. I am glad we got Najee, but we won't realize his value for another year unless we start getting an O-Line in front of him. Same goes for anyone begging for a 1st round QB. A first round QB without a line will lead to a first round bust. They always said when Tim Couch went to Cleveland he was going to be the next big thing. But, he was too jittery in the pocket after a few seasons in addition to injuries.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    @PFF_AustinGayle
    ·
    55m

Steelers' Najee Harris has been hit at or behind the LOS on 70% of his carries — highest rate in the NFL

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ben's fault. Somehow. Just Like the Defense not touching the Qb . LoL :thumbs_up:

23. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    someone just leaked a copy of our playbook:

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    The OL is bad, no doubt. It's never completely on one person or another but it's more complex than some folks are admitting. We do NOT throw the ball down field. That's about way more than just OL and/or WR play. Since every throw is 2 yards, the entire D is playing near the LOS. Even if the OL was good there'd still be a lot of defenders around to attack the run. We don't even ATTEMPT passes down the middle. If that's on the OC, fine, then he's an idiot, but it sure seems to be on Ben. It's all related, and spread the blame as you want, but the QB is the top of the list.

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So ....the Qb not trusting the O- line has nothing 2 do with not stepping up in the pocket 2 throw the ball down field???
    I bet You Mason, and Haskins are both praying Ben doesn't come out right now the way the line is playing.