1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So what’s wrong with our offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    As long as Ben is camped back in shotgun formation you are never going to see Derek Watt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason will have his helmet off again getting hit 10 times.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    yeah okay

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's 6'4, and gets his hands on passes he should catch and put away before the defender has a chance to get a PBU.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He didn't throw nobody under the bus

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

I have heard Dale Lolley and SteelersDepot talk about how Claypool needs to catch more passes thrown to him, but some fans don't think he drops passes :shrug:.

7. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What is wrong is Najee had only 10 attempts on Sunday.

I heard something really disturbing on SNR. The guys were saying they hardly practiced short yardage at all in camp. This is even after a mandate from Rooney. They are blatantly disregarding his directive.

They were also hinting some guys on the line aren’t giving full effort on every play.

I would agree that Claypool is not aggressive enough when trying to high point a ball. He definitely should have caught that one throw.

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You don’t know what a drop is. The official NFL scorer does.

You keep showing me tweets that prove nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    On the deep pass to Claypool, I think both players had a role in the play failing. The ball placement was not good, but Chase didn’t track it very well and get into position to beat the corner either. This is something that I noted right after we drafted him in the “Welcome to the Steelers Chase Claypool” thread. Here is an excerpt from my first post about him at the time

“He seems to really struggle to track and high point jump balls deep down the field, which is odd because he’s really good at winning jump balls in the red zone. To see this in action, check out the Va Tech game. There are two plays in particular that both resulted in interceptions. The first was at the goal line on an under thrown post pattern. On that one, I think a guy with better body control like Mims at least contests the int and forces the incompletion instead of the int. Later in that game he was flat out beaten badly on a jump ball by a shorter, lighter CB on an under thrown go route down the left side. I saw this type of inability to win the downfield 50/50 ball in a couple of other games as well.”

This isn’t the first time I’ve seen this with him as a Steeler.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is nothing wrong with my premise. I understand what a drop is and you don’t.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He isn't Larry Fitzgerald. I would also like to see him win on balls even when they are in a position where the defender might have a better angle on the ball. That wasn't the argument. The argument is that it isn't a drop if he doesn't manage to snatch those balls away for a reception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    He's not making them "bad". Claypool is a good WR, that was a near impossible catch. Ben's deep ball has been bad for years and it's getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    They're confusing not coming down with 50/50 balls and PBUs as "drops".

I've been the biggest fan of Ben for most of his career but it's obvious he's a shadow of his former self. Occasionally he'll make a throw that he used to make routinely, and that convinces the delusional that all of his other bad throws must be the fault of someone else because they fear life without him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    He made a circus catch in week 1 on an underthrown ball down the right sideline that helped start the comeback.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Not sure Fitz even catches that - as soon as his hands hit the pass the DB raked through with both arms. That's a tough catch for anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    True, but in his prime, he did sometimes make catches like that. Fitzgerald wasn't just great at grabbing the ball at the highest point possible. He had incredibly strong hands. He could sometimes make a catch even when a defender was able to rake at it like that. Didn't Ike Taylor get a hand on the ball that Fitzgerald caught in the end zone for his first touchdown in Super Bowl XLIII?

I'm not sure any receiver in the history of the NFL has been as good at catching 50/50 balls as Fitzgerald was at his best, so saying Claypool is no Fitzgerald doesn't mean Claypool isn't very good.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

THIS, Claypool biggest problem is tracking the ball but also high point jump balls. The play above everybody is talking about Claypool at 6' 4" could of leaned against the defender more and he didn't high point the catch. His feet were only 1 foot off the ground. Get up and high point it over the defender. Everyone in our house watching the game said it after that play.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i remember thinking this years ago. when flacco was completing 50-50 balls for a few years for the ravens. ben wanted a big wr during that time and he got one finally. this is his new go to. the 50-50 ball. he believes this is an offensive weapon. it's not we don't complete enough of them but keep trying to force it. very seldom does ben hit a wr in stride. more of a wing and a prayer philosophy. the two long ones claypool has made so far was by push off's that were not called. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    worst ROI on a FA in 10 years. WHY THEY HELL did we pay and sign him?

20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Until they can scare linebackers and safeties back out the box with our passing game there will be no improvement in the running game.

Won't happen till plays in the middle of the hashes down field start happening, check downs dump offs, and these 3-5 yard completions scare no one.

The Steelers have been blue printed against way back last season of 2020. Until they scare some people otherwise, nothing will change.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I'll say this, our next OC better be someone from outside the organization. I'm tired of the promotion BS that results in the same scheme under a different name.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It's almost as though the offensive coordinator doesn't matter and the offense we run is the offense someone other than the offensive coordinator wants us to run. I just wonder who that could possibly be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Chase claypoop can’t catch . With that size he should dominate the DB and win contested catches . He drops the ball and can’t make the tough catch except for a fluke here and there. If Ben still had the goods they could have used him like Martavis Bryant. Dudes a great value Canadian Martavis

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He needs to start drawing two defenders, catch the da** ball. Someone other than Najee does.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    The defense is a major concern too. If Haden is not available for the Packers game, it's gonna get ugly quick for the Steelers at Lambeau. Steelers secondary is vulnerable without Haden.

• Winner Winner x 1