1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So what’s wrong with our offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 19, 2021.

1. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    There's plenty of blame to go around, but one thing I see is running out of the Shotgun. That does no one any favors. I don't really care if Ben prefers to not be under center, do what's best for the team. You're putting your RB at a disadvantage right from the start.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    "You only show up to ***** about the losses and to complain about Tomlin.
    It’s one sided and weak." -SteelerGlenn
    :hmm:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree and was in denial but Ben's limitations puts the offense at a disadvantage. What the Steelers do offensively is not difficult to defend.

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

One last grab and he knew they had no other alternative. He still can play but is a part of why this offense is struggling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Welcome to the club, Blast. Many of us have been drinking here for a few seasons. :drinks:

We've been running Ben's offense for a long time and it sucks. He's only here because the owner is clueless.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree - if he is going to do that, at least do it on first down.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Why is Ben throwing jump balls to Claypool instead of letting him outrun his defender. This mans career was over years ago. But has held the Steelers hostage in a financial prison for years. They don’t have the balls to cut him.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh look who woke up from their nap

9. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Big Ben lackeys are calling this a "drop". If he throws it inside, easy TD.

10. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Lol, false. That's a throw every NFL QB can make, Ben just lofts it up with no accuracy and hopes for the best.

11. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s unfortunate, but it this point we have what we have. My hope is that the offense starts to click soon.

12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yes. The deep route down the sideline is not one of the more challenging throws for a QB from an arm strength perspective. Those throws are about accuracy, timing and touch. Anyone who can make it far enough to be on an NFL roster has the arm strength to make those throws if they get the ball out in time to not need to throw it 70 yards in the air. The challenging throws are the 15+ yard passes into the middle and to an out-breaking receiver at the sideline. Those take arm strength and lower body mechanics to fit the ball into tighter windows with zip and accuracy. Ben no longer has that. Whether due to his knees, arm or both, I don’t know. Nobody on our roster has the ability to make those throws with any consistency (though Haskins has the arm strength for it - his problem is between the ears). Rudolph has never shown that ability at all, though he does show better accuracy, timing and touch on deep passes down the sideline than Ben does.

In addition to that, our current offensive line doesn’t hold up well enough to utilize those types of routes either, so it’s a double whammy. If we had a quality offensive line, we could probably have a solid offense overall even with Ben’s deficiencies, but we don’t.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See last season for "what's wrong with our offense"

it needs a complete enema - OL was the draft choice for this year, not Harris, as much as I like him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think it obvious. Ben's limitations have been figured out, defenses are stacking guys close. You will often see 8-9 guys up in the box often.

They know they have to defend a 15-20 yard window. They fear no big plays being given up at all.

This is why we can't run. If they could get more of the guys back up out of the box, they would have increased success in the run game.

Ravens blue printed the defense of scheme against the Steelers back during Thanksgiving of 2020, and they Steelers haven't had any success since on offense.

Seeing all these teams score 30-35 points, some of them such as the Ravens had to score 36 to win by a single point and beat KC.

This offense getting over 30, seems like a pipe dream from happening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    which is why we needed OL in Rd. 1.

16. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017

If this is by design then Canada needs to be fired. It seems a lot more likely that it is due to Ben's limitations. He knows he can't get the ball there in time over the middle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    correct. it ain't happening. He never had a great deep ball in his prime, it ain't going to appear now. And Ben does not have a great OLINE now and AB to make it all happen. it will be a long season, most of us saw this coming. Now the D is groined out, or something worse.

18. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe Ben's been watching Joe Flacco game tape and wants to try that. I mean, the Ravens have won a Super Bowl more recently than the Steelers :lolol:

19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    This, actually blows my mind that as bad as we are running the ball, why not try a fullback in there to help. Please at least try a few plays, it doesn't hurt. The stupidest thing you can do is the same thing over and over when not working.

20. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Yes, Yes, Yes, so stupid to throw up a 50 50 ball deep ball when you need 4 yards for a first down. Also the difference with Ravens and Steelers coaching, Ravens went for it last night with a 4 and 1 deep in their own territory and it was a succesfull run to secure the victory. Tomlin punted and gave back the ball to the Raiders, when we couldn't stop them all night. Just mind blowing. Did he think we were going to finally stop them. :shrug::facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    you and I know Ben never threw a great deep ball. Now it's chuck it and let #11 contest it or hope for a PI.

22. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

This is a high risk / low percentage of success pass attempt. Frankly I dont think its anyone’s fault that it failed. The defender made a great play by knocking it away. Chase has zero separation so it was essentially a jump ball . You’re asking Ben to put that pass into a pin hole from 30 yards or so away .

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Let us not discount the Raiders efforts either. That was their commitment; take away the MOF and force Big Ben to beat them deep. That said, Big Ben has to take those shots in the MOF.

If not, going to be a long, long season.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What is false??? That the raiders Wrs didn't make hard contested catches, that they were never hit as they caught a ball, that none of the balls they caught were thrown badly?????
    Well which one was not true....since that what I said , and You said it wasn't true. Oh....You may have just watched highlights, or a break down of the game...instead of the whole game.. If that is true then you didn't see what I'm talking about.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Everyone....go back....watch every pass made by Ben ....start from the snap , and then watch the play develops slowly with frame advance.....Then comeback and review what You have said.
    I honestly wonder if anyone watches a game anymore, or just goes by what they read, others say, or highlight.
    Was every pass perfect...no, but neither was carrs.....go Look at some of the catchs His Wrs made....not just the perfect ones. Why is only Our Wrs expected 2 make catches on perfect throws??? I watch very hard catches, contested catches, and catches where the Wrs gets hit....every freaking game. Hell I seen one raiders Wrs ....make 3 yesterday....Yet our Wrs are only suppose 2 catch uncontested balls, perfectly thrown balls, or balls in which they won't get hit. LoL

• Like Like x 1