1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So what’s wrong with our offense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Sep 19, 2021.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Not going to argue there, Ben is definitely off. Claypool with his size should make some more tough catches too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    O line can’t run block

O line struggles to give time for the deep ball

when we do have time it’s either a bad pass, stone hands, or luckily caught.

Defenses allow the bombs because we don’t hit them consistently enough.

if Ben was hitting 5-7 40+ yarders a game you bet your butt our run game would open up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Definitely how I think and feel. I really don't understand why Ben wanted to come back. Even in March, one didn't need to be a psychic with a crystal ball to project these early season woes. I think it will get better, but there's going to be more growing pains in the coming weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Outside of a few misdirection plays sprinkled in, nothing has changed. It’s just that obvious. I don’t know why but this staff regardless of whom is supposedly at the helm of constructing an offensive package can’t seem to adjust situationally to the moment. The whole league literally has the last handful of seasons worth of tape to fleece and just need to stay disciplined on the misdirection stuff a few times a game... knowing our guys will full on rely on shotgun formation handoffs, wr’s spread out, hurry up dink and dunks short of the mark and 50 yard heaves on 3rd and short. I can’t remember a team so scripted.

They paid top money for a stud FB (last year was injury hampered for watt but when healthy still seldom if ever used)
    That is never utilized situationally. That drafted the top RB in the draft and don’t know how to use him. They so many tools but don’t know which ones to carry in the tool bag for the week to week job. It’s the same sh!t for far too long and I’m miffed as to how or why.

This team has the personnel to rough up the O’l dog week in and week out on offense. Not much you can do about injuries to the D but the O is not helping out of pure insanity I guess.

situational ball folks. Where’s the big packages on 3rd and 4th and 1? In the red zone? With a fresh set of downs? It’s nowhere to be found. There is no change it’s just week in and week out relying on talent and matchups and not so much playing basic chess.

It’s a bit maddening. I don’t think the line while young is inept. I don’t think bens arm is shot. I hope it’s not Ben over ruling his coaching staff, etc... while it’s easy to think all of that, I believe a fix can be simply had but apparently not living in their fears seems to be more of a comfort zone approach than a schematic one.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In addition to the young OC and Offensive Line... this as well...

Unless this gets fixed... expect more of the same.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    :hmm:

Something else to consider here. I also thought Chase should have muscled his way here. Big Ben has to lead Chase off a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ugh, if that is complete updated information than I retract my statement about Ben and we are in trouble. I thought he went down field more than that today, this is why you need to rewatch the game on the All 22.

I knew the intermediate range was lacking, only two 15 yard passes. The dead zone in the middle of the field I wasn’t aware of. Geez.

Bens washed. I don’t blame Colbert, he wanted him gone, this is on Rooney, I believe he overruled KC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ohfosho

ohfosho Member

Aug 9, 2014
    This offense has too much talent to be playing like this. Ben can still make plays ,even if they lose there no way the offense should look this bad . I'm convinced it's the coaching and it starts at the top with Mike Tomlin. Rooney needs to grow a pair and fire Tomlin we need a offensive minded coach in today's NFL are at least a coach that can bring in a good offense and defense coordinator.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I initially thought Big Ben's ability to throw deep was back as well (somewhat) but did notice something very odd. Those deep throws were along the sidelines and not the MOF. I was wondering if I had tricked myself somehow.

Turns out I did not. Either way and, sadly, AR2 had only three options in Big Ben, Rudolph and Haskins. The obvious choice is Big Ben. Not too sure as to how they could have traded up in this year's draft to acquire one of the Big Five of QBs. Mac Jones maybe but I do not believe his skillset transfers well to how Matt Canada wants to run the Offense.

That said, also keep in mind that Kevin Colbert has been Scouting his tail off this CFB Season; going to every game featuring a marquee QB or a quality one at best. So far, he has seen the likes of Howell, Pickett and Eleby.

I would imagine his next stop will be to Ole Miss or even Cincinnati. Regardless, I think the message being indirectly sent by Colbert to AR2 is clear; this is likely it for Big Ben. Finding his successor is paramount.

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't want to pile on Ben after a loss but some of those PA plays today he really didn't sell really well. One on a fake hand off roll right and hit Juju I think it looked like he went to handoff and pulled it back a half second later

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We need a bonefide #1 wr
    The wr that we have now ... drop the crucial balls thrown to them.
    Start Muth at TE
    Get a new oline
    Harris is a beast ... just ready to be unleashed

• Like Like x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

New Oline?! Minus one player, this is a new Oline. Cannot continually play musical chairs here.

Speaking of bona-fide Number One WR, Diontae might be out yet with some type of knee injury. He is the most frustrating WR on the team no doubt; some plays he is amazing and others he is dreadful. That said though, if Diontae is out for any extended period of time, expect the passing game to falter.

13. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Our wr don’t seem to run effective routes. They never quite seem to beat their man. They’re fast, and sometimes can combat catch, but they often seem to be in a crowd. I watch other games and QBs frequently are throwing to people with some space around them. Maybe too much hype for this receiving core. Makes it tough on Ben, who may not be able to zip it like he used to, but could probably hit an open receiver.

Also, opponents have lots of tape now on these guys, so they seem to know what is coming. Not too many new wrinkles (yet).

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well if You are not beating a guy ,and it's thrown 2 You its a contested catch. I see players make contested catches all the time. Hell I seen raiders make a few . You seen when the Wrs actually beat someone deep the ball was there.
    Matter of fact why did DJ run out of bounds on that one long catch? Looked like he didn't even try 2 stay inbounds??? Looked like he could have run it in....instead of having JuJu run it in later.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What color is the dropped passes???
    I seen 5-10 Hunter R. Make catches today that never would have been caught by our guys

• Like Like x 1
  16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Claypool needs some AB, Renfro moves. He's just running up to the ball & trying to catch it. Oh, & their hands. :huh:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Seeing the middle of the field being completely ignored is very troubling. Slants and seem passes used to be Ben's strength now they don't even exist. We also no longer have Hines or Heath.
    Ben just can't get the ball out front on a deep pass.
    It still looks like a dink n dunk offense.
    Ben rarely gets under center because he can't move well enough to back up with any speed.
    Oline might not improve until they can replace Okorafor, he is not very good at all.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I can bring up 3 catches by one Wr on raiders that were harder catches. If I knew How 2 do it.
    Why are hard catches made by other teams, but not expected here. Everything has 2 be a perfect throw. :shrug:
    I know 2 scoring drives the raider don't make if there wasn't any contested, and Hard 2 make catches caught.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They make them, they won last week because they were making contested catches.

20. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I think the last 2 are it. Ben and the O-line. Najee should be running wild but NO open holes. Ben’s arm looks like a noodle and he’s always had a decent arm. Must be that elbow injury. We have a lot of talent on that side of the ball. I still can’t believe we lost to the Raiders at home. They have nobody really. At least not defensively. I’ll put some on the OC as well. He needs to mix it up and disguise plays. This short passing attack is something everyone knows we’re going to run.

We’ll see what we do with Burrow and the Bengals next weekend. That team has some young talent so we can’t take them lightly. Tomlin needs to switch some things up going forward.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Interesting discussion. I think there are multiple issues but the big one is the offensive line. They can’t run block and they can’t give Ben the time he needs to let plays develop, meaning everything is either a short pass or a low percentage bomb to Chase Claypool. It’s too easy to defend.

They have some money to go out and get some help but I don’t know if there is anybody available that can make a meaningful impact. It’s going to be a long season of close fought wins and frustrating losses if they can’t find some answers.

22. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    What’s wrong with the offense?

Ben should have retired and we have the worst offensive line in football???

23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Like Kreighoff said, our bread and butter used to be quick slants and crossing routes.

We had shifty players who can make guys miss so you basically either get a 5-6 yard gain or something bigger.

Why don't we do that anymore? I know the crossing routes got snuffed out a while ago but that's not a reason to abandon the completely.

Our short passes now all seem to involve receivers turning back for the ball rather than catching in stride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    It's limited by what Ben can do. He's by and large stapled to the pocket, is erratic downfield, and is afraid to throw in the middle of the field. That makes it easy on opposing defenses.

He had Claypool for two deep TDs today. The first, down the right sideline, was late and almost intercepted. The second was high and behind him, allowing the defender to break it up as soon as it hit his hands.

Ben is the problem. No two ways around it anymore. They won't score 30 pts in a game this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Claypool was open deep for two TDs, Ben missed on both. All Ben can do is throw quick hitters and heave prayers deep with no accuracy. He's done.