1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So we're 1-2 into the bye...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wreck, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Wreck

Wreck Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    3rd in the division, and frankly as far as I'm concerned, last in the divisions. Who even counts the Browns these days.

The way the offense is playing is really exciting...

the Defense I feel has lost both games. Teams just march on us. Harrison is probably done for good.

Is this one of those years where I just need to accept that we'll be 3rd in the division due to too many changes and adjustments needing to happen \ team too old, etc?

Trying to keep my chin up and it's early in the season... just can't seem to get used to seeing us in 3rd place like this. *shakes head

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It is frustrating. I'm still holding out hope that we finish 2nd in the division, or even possibly 1st assuming the Ravens implode. Without the Ravens falling apart, I don't see any chance in hell of us winning the division. Our defence is just painful to watch. A 10 yard cushion on WR's when it's 3rd and 2 is insane and makes no sense, yet we do it constantly. Our DE's not being able to shed blockers means they're not going to be double teamed and we're not going to get a pass rush. No pass rush in our system means no defence.

Something has to change this off season, because we've had this defensive problems for years now and there doesn't seem to be a fix in sight.

3. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The Bungles are overrated and personally I do not think they will stay above the Steelers for long. They have beaten two pretty bad teams and lost to the only team they have played that is in the conversation about the playoffs. My guess is that they will fade fast as the season goes on. Dalton isn't as good as everyone who promotes him thinks he is.

So, maybe we're destined for 2nd place in the division - worse if the defense doesn't come around. After 3 weeks, though I am surprised that we're not 2-1 or 3-0, I think that this team, as always, will hit its stride and be very much in the mix when December rolls around.

I'm going back to my toaster thread now.

4. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Im not really worried about the ravens they cant stop big ben heck they cant stop anybody passing the ball

5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Nice thing is we have 6 divison games still to play to make up ground. Bad news is we are falling behind and fast, I really think this bye week was good timing to try to improve our defense and make changes we need to make, I hope I'm right or this is going to be a long season.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree. Wheedon almost had them for the tie last night. My main worry is that Flacco was converting big third downs - which is going to be difficult for us to stop at present. But they are definitely beatable.

What will stop us beating the Ravens is any more injuries.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I honestly think ben is going to have career games in both games they are ranked 28th against the pass and 25th overall.

8. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Browns are much better than their record indicates in my opinion. Their problem is they have an average at best pass rush and their recievers drop too many balls.

9. romeo863603

romeo863603 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2011

I agree way to many dropped passes and the fact that they are the browns lol. But seriously they've been in every game this year. They look tough

10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    is that a joke about the browns looking tough?

11. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Might be a joke if our defense can't stop them......just sayin.

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben had a near career game last week, and he was standing on the sideline watching the D give up the opponents a game winning drive as the clock stuck 0:00

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I watched last nights game and part of another Ravens game so far this year and I don't know why everyone is so afraid of them. They aren't dominating anyone, they are doing just enough to win games, but they aren't a scary team. They are a mirror image of us, they have a better running back and we have a better QB. Weeden threw for 300+ yards on them, they get thrown on just like teams throw on us. I bet if anyone were to go to the Ravens board, it would be full of posts like we have over here. They are good, not great, stop making them out to be better then they are.

14. ScottQ

ScottQ Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    That's an important point. It's a passing league. Look at Ray Lewis. I find him to be inspiring. It just sucks if it is against us. He trimmed down because the NFL is not as physical of a game as it once was. It's more passing so cardio/being lighter is better so you can cover. He's just so strong, he can still do damage when he gets there. He does get burned once in a while but he hustles all game and is playing at a very high level. Also, Reed is playing and playing well. Troy is not.

I think they have made the transition and are struggling on defense because of a lot of youth. We're struggling with older guys. That puts us behind the curve.

15. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You may be right but with our offensive line issues and defensive scheme/personnel issues, I think we are in trouble.

16. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    1 - 2 and going nowhere. Our defense is so bad, that is the reason that our record is what it is. People talked about the Ravens and think that they are not as good as they appear. Well, thay are 3-1 and looking good. Someone said that their defense can't stop the pass and that they are 25th in defense overall, but they are 3-1 and sitting on top of the division. They already beat two playoff teams from last year, the Bengals, and the Pats. We lost to Denver again, and to the Raiders who is in nobodys playoffs conversation. Infect, they are the worst team in the league and we lost to them!

Here is another thing about the Ravens that the Steelers don't have, a bonifide motivator and team leader, the Ravens have two in Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed! You can't deny anything that I have said.

The name of the game is show me, what have you done lately. The Steelers have done absolutely nothing lately but look bad. Painful to watch. If the Steelers lose to the Eagles at Heinz next week, then that will be the road map as to how they will look for the rest of this season. It won't be happy times around here. My hopes are not high because I know what I have seen so far, and I don't see it getting any better for them.

I call them like I see them. I'm not going to make something out of nothing. I hope I'm wrong

17. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I've said this in a previous thread, but I think that this can be overblown a little. We don't seem to have anyone who stomps around the sideline shouting. That doesn't rule out all motivators completely. We don't know what happens behind closed doors.

So you could be right. But we don't know. What matters far more than having a "motivator" is execution on the field. And there's a whole load of factors that go into that - scheme, play-calling, player health, experience, etc. etc. All of which - needless to say - do need looking at.

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I can and will deny what you have said. Not about the motivator stuff, I think you guys overblow that anyway, bunch of rah rah crap. But as far as the Ravens being 3-1, so what edog, I guarantee you didn't feel that we were as good as our 12- 4 record last season. You dismiss their 25th defense but harp on stuff like that all the time about us. Believe me, there are bigger teams to fear out there then the Ravens.