1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So We Should Make the Playoffs Easily???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Jul 3, 2022.

1. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Most people wouldn't consider a higher rate of INTs and sacks as a positive change.

(When I pointed this out in my earlier post, maybe I should have used the % of plays without an INT or sack, as that number is dropping.)

As far as pass completion % goes, Ben was better than his career average the past 2 years.
    That by itself isn't enough to claim that Ben was playing as well as pre-injury.

Last year LJ missed 5 games. Part of the reason I'm thinking "decline" is the number of touches he has, either passing (wear on the arms) or rushing (wear on the legs). When people are worried about Harris having his wheels run off by the Steelers, I think that is already happening to Jackson.

Maybe Jackson has a bounce back year. Doesn't have to be MVP-level, but mostly healthy and plays well enough to show last year was an aberration. But I'm predicting he will continue to have more nagging injuries that will limit him.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    A 4 game stretch mid-season is jumping the gun, at least in my mind.

If Mahomes has reduced play that lasts for 2 seasons in a row, with each season worse than the previous one, then I'd be willing to revisit this issue. Otherwise, it is not the same situation as Jackson.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So then why did Lamar win unanimous???

4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I thought he won MVP

5. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Because he was clear and away the most valuable player in the nfl that yr. He was literally the Ravens entire offense running and throwing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Mahomes the previous 2 seasons has not been as good as his first season. The numbers have dropped.

7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm just going off your logic. I don't look at stats across the board for me to determine that someone has dropped off. But also ben threw alot less last yr then he did in his prime. Jackson actually has started to throw more.

Lamar doesn't take punishment. When most people talk about you wearing down it isn't just carries but it's the pending you take. Lamar barely gets hit. That's for example what happen to cam Newton. He took to many head on shots trying to run people over like he was a rb. Lamar avoids contact majority of the time.

I'm predicting a good year for lamar.

8. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    That still isn't what I was saying, so I'm not sure what you are arguing. (You aren't going off my logic.)

Drop from year 2019 to year 2020, in a wide variety of QB stats. Drop from year 2020 to year 2021.
    That is Jackson. That is a trend.
    Maybe Jackson rebounds, but it isn't the same as Mahomes.

Mahomes had his best year in 2018. Some of his stats dropped in 2019 (like TD %), but others like his INT % improved.
    And his 2020 stats are better than his 2019 stats.

Now look at QB rating, which is not a be-all stat, but is still a useful measure.
    Mahomes' rating dropped 8 points from 2018-2019, but then went up 3 points from 2019-2020.
    So small fluctuations, and no clear downward trend.
    Jackson's rating dropped 14 points from 2019-2020, then another 12 points from 2020-2021.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

Former NFL player spitting facts about Lamar, Hollywood Brown wanted out of Baltimore and that offense run by Lamar.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    More excuses for Lamar.
    So Mahomes wasn't clear and away the most valuable player His year with 52 Tds, but Lamar was with 43. Ok:thumbs_up:
    He's so great He has no contract. LoL
    Again Lamar gets coddled....If anyone says anything about Him they get bashed .
    I seriously can't wait for us 2 clown His A$$ again this Year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He did.
    Pay attention. LoL.
    I was saying they were rooting for Him 2 win it. He's like the only (I believe) 2nd Qb 2 win in unanimously.
    Yet guys have crushed His season, and have not won it unanimously. Because everyone is afraid 2 say anything about Lamar, and coddle Him.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Then hollywood said this:

13. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You still keep talking about stats across the board. Across the board means everything. Not the few stats you're Cherry picking out. But again I don't use that so.

This is the first time I've even heard of someone mentioning int %. I'll have go look it up. Most use either ints or td/int ratio..never heard someone say so and so has a better int% then the next.

In 2019 he got hurt. Hard to try to compare the total numbers to 2020.

And mahomes the last few years hasn't performed anywhere near 2018 and he went from throwing few ints the previous 2 years to throwing double digits last yr. That doesn't look good.

And I forgot to mention glad you acknowledged the 4 game slump as umpimg the gun in your "mind". So again one can try to subermize he dropped off..maybe your standard of 2 years is your standard but it's no set standard on what drop off is so one can use 1 year, 2, 3 , 4, or 5.

14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Does not sound like Jackson is too happy with having to play on his option year and is starting to demand a Deshaun Watson type mega deal.

Holdout coming?

I would love to see the Ravens spend $50 million a year on Lamar "One Look" Jackson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny, I saw a video that he changed his "Grill" to I need money and I was thinking like an outside BBQ grill or maybe his car grille.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  16. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    You may think I was cherry picking, but I grabbed every meaningful stat I could find on PFR, and Jackson didn't look good for any of them.

(You may have a different opinion on what stats are meaningful. All I can say is that I looked at a variety of stats, and then made the prediction that Jackson will do worse this year compared to last. Not the other way around.)

I'll mention my general thinking, so this isn't directly related to Jackson or the Steelers' playoff chances.

INT % is INTs/pass attempts.
    Nothing too complicated.
    If you go by total INTs, that is biased against QBs who have more attempts and/or managed to stay healthy the entire season.

When people were complaining about BR leading the league in interceptions in 2018, that was more about him actually playing all 16 games. Normally 16 INTs isn't that remarkable. (Rivers had 21 in 2016, and Kizer had 22 in 2017.) There were at least 8 QBs who would have had way more INTs than Ben, if they had started 16 games. (So that is why I don't like to use total INTs.)

TD/INT ratio is a reasonable stat, but even with that, if a QB is running an efficient offense, why does it matter if the TD is passing instead of rushing?

17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Lamar Jackson will never win anything meaningful what are we going on about here? He is the Mike Tomlin of QBs. Looks very good in the regular season and melts down against the best teams in the playoffs like clockwork

18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Brown felt that way he should've stayed in Baltimore :shrug:.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hasn't Tomlin already won two AFCCG, and a Super Bowl :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

RG lll being biased because he played with Lamar, the other four QBs on the list are better passers than Lamar, out of these five I would put him last.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    We've never been this under the radar in decades. Time to prove a point.

:steelflag:

• Like Like x 1
  23. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Yes over a decade ago with All Pro players he inherited. What has he done lately and by lately I’ll give you 12 years???

24. MeanJoeBlue

Jan 2, 2013
    Most people consider Baltimore a successful team.
    From 2013-present, the Ravens won the AFCN 2 times, finished in the bottom half of the AFCN 4 times, made the playoffs 4 times, and have 2 playoff wins.
    Over the same time span, the Steelers have won the AFCN 4 times, never finished in the bottom half, made the playoffs 6 times, and have 3 playoff wins.

We all want the Steelers to have more success, but most teams are doing worse.

(They've had injuries or illness to key players around playoff time.
    They need better luck, to have the team healthy at season's end.
    I still think they had a real shot to win it all in 2015, if they had their top WR or either of their top 2 RBs against the Broncos.)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok so those are the stats you deem meaningful. Ok thank you for making that distinction.

Most look at total ints because it matters. Throwing more passes then someone doesn't automatically mean you'll have more ints. Rodgers had the same number attempts as tannehill, more than kyler Murray, Joe burrow, baker, etc.. and had like 5x less ints than all of them. Ints is about how many total you throw. Not about the percentage of your passes that are ints because in someone like lamar's case, he barely throws compared to others, so when he does throw a pick it may not be as many in a game costing his team as much as someone throwing several picks.