1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So We Should Make the Playoffs Easily???

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Jul 3, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    From what I hear most saying....Now that We lost the main thing (by many on here) holding this offense back, and all our Qbs are now mobile....
    Should We not make the playoffs easily???
    We made them last year...
    . With a tougher schedule.
    Now Canada...many tell Me ...will be able 2 run His real offense.
    Also brought in Offense lineman, Defense is healthy, and because a lot on here say a big problem with the Defense was the offense....So
    with all that ...
    Here's the list..
    1. No Ben(a lot though He was the problem)
    2. Easier schedule
    3. Supposed upgrades on Oline
    4. Now Canada can run his whole offense
    5. Defense is Healthy
    6. Supposedly brought in FA 2 help the Defense, and Offense.
    So shouldn't We make the playoffs easily????:shrug:
    Or....do people not really believe what they have been saying????:shrug:
    Have a safe 4th of July all.:thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I ran this thought around my pea brain repeatedly

Although we were not very good last year we did make the playoffs and anything can happen once in

On paper at least we are improved

So yes I believe we should make the playoffs

I’m leaving out the word easily

Nothing is easy in the nfl and injuries….

• Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Agree on all but two minor parts

1) Ben was part of the problem not by any means “the” problem

2) Not a lot of people are arguing we can now see Canada’s NFL offense that’s mostly one knucklehead that most people on this board just ignore I think he is actually really on multiple “ignore” lists on this board

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Here's the list..
    1. No Ben(a lot though He was the problem)
    Just like jeh said, Ben wasn't the problem, but he was part of it. I think we will miss him more than we think we will. There are going to be some growing pains with our new QBs. No doubt.

2. Easier schedule
    The schedule is the schedule. It is based off of last season. Sometimes what looks like a hard schedule can end up being easy and vise versa. You have to play 17 NFL games, and in the North, the schedule is always going to be tough.

3. Supposed upgrades on Oline
    Nothing supposed about it. The guys they brought in are a huge upgrade IMO.

4. Now Canada can run his whole offense
    This makes me laugh every time I hear it. "The Matt Canada System" I will believe it when I see it.

5. Defense is Healthy
    It doesn't matter if they are healthy now. It matters if they can stay that way.

6. Supposedly brought in FA 2 help the Defense, and Offense.
    So shouldn't We make the playoffs easily????:shrug:
    Or....do people not really believe what they have been saying????:shrug:
    I believe the Steelers will make the playoffs. It certainly will not be easy. It never is.

Happy 4th to you and everyone else as well. :flag:

• Like Like x 2
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we will miss good Ben in his prime

We will not miss bad Ben

We will not miss any of the last two years of Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    AFC is absolutely loaded, on paper at least, and the AFC North has the AFC Championship team in it so it certainly won’t be easy.

Steelers look like a bit of a fringe team, they’ve a relatively high floor and could get in if a few things go right for them, but I think most people expect them to miss the postseason. An awful lot depends on how the QB situation pans out. They have a lot of young guys with upside in the skill positions so if the offence clicks anything is possible.

• Like Like x 3
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Don’t we have the 3rd or 4th hardest schedule this year?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think this: The Steelers are probably a 3rd place team after Cincy and Balt. So In that case 5 playoff spots are taken, leaving 2.
    Are the Steelers gonna be better than Indy/Tn whoever doesn’t win the AFCS? Maybe.
    Are they gonna be better than KC or LAC, whoever doesn’t win the AFCW? I don’t think do.
    Are they gonna be better than the LV Raiders? Maybe. Better than trendy Denver? Probably
    Are they gonna be better than the Ne Pats? I think so.

This assumes Cle is a mess, Mia doesn’t improve and NyJ, Hou and Jax are no consideration.

Given this, they’re competing for one spot with indy/Tn and LV. One spot, 3 teams, a 1-in-3 shot. Not impossible, seems realistic. But it’s also not making the playoffs “easily”. And I don’t think they will make it easily.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

Hope and heart vs head. They believe what they’re saying, but they’re not betting on it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    First off we were pretty fortunate to make the playoffs last year.
    1. Indy was a better team than us but they imploded at the end of the year.
    2. Baltimore had a lot more talent than us but they were depleted by significant injuries.
    You have to assume both of those teams will be better this year.
    With that being said, I do not think we make the playoffs. I think we will have a better team and comparable record to last year but I don’t think last years record gets us in the playoffs this year. On paper the rest of the AFC is a lot more solid this year than last year. You have the Chargers, Raiders and Broncos whom all are better on paper this year than last year. I think there is just to much talent in the AFC this year to overcome.
    These are the teams I would put ahead of us this year from an opportunity standpoint in the AFC

Bengals
    Ravens
    Bills
    Chiefs
    Broncos
    Chargers
    Raiders
    Colts
    Titans
    Patriots

To me this is a developmental year. I think both the defense and offense take a step forward this year, but we will miss the intangibles of Ben for sure. He was the difference between winning and losing a close game. To me this will be the year of answering a lot of questions.
    1. Is Canada’s offense legit?
    2. Is Dionte a true #1 WR?
    3. Can we develop a DT/DE opposite Heyward
    4. Will Trubiscky or Pickett step up?
    5. Is Pickens who we think he is?
    6. Will Bush develop into a true MLB we need?
    7. What do we have in Witherspoon and Wallace?
    8. Have we solidified the Offensive line or do we need to add more talent?
    9. Is Miles Jack a good fit for us?
    10. Will Claypool step up?
    11. Will Highsmith develop across from Watt?
    12. What about Dotson, Loudermilk, Leal?

So many questions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ben was certainly not in his prime last year but one thing that he could still do is pull a rabbit out of his hat in the 4th quarter to win the game. The Steelers had 8 one score victories last season many of them on the last drive of the game.
    We have to see if Trubisky or Pickett have that same ability to lead a winning drive when the Steelers are down by 4 with 2 minutes left in the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think we have a shot at the playoffs. We will likely have to have a winning record in games decided by one score. We will also have to do pretty well in our division since all 4 teams think they should be a playoff team....

1. Never thought Ben was the problem. Old Ben wasn't the answer, but he sure wasn't the main issue.
    2. On paper. The schedule could very well be easier or harder than it looks now.
    3. This is true. Our OL SHOULD be significantly better.
    4. Meh. We shall see. We certainly need a better play-calling effort than last year.
    5. For now. Hopefully it stays that way.
    6. I thought we did VERY well in FA. Only time will tell if we made the right choices or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I agree with above that we will miss Ben but the prime Ben. Every time our QB screws up we will be thinking and missing Ben.

Our D is healthy, big deal, we all know injuries can and will destroy a season.

IMO, only way this is a playoff team is if the running game stays healthy all season and takes a lot of pressure off whoever is under center.

I think this is going to be a tough year but I do believe Tomlin will somehow keep this team relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    If the team beats Cincinnati in either game, this will be a good tell for them. If they lose both, we will probably see the Steelers around the .500 mark.

• Like Like x 2
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Not that I heard. From what I've seen We have the 29th.
    It was the hardest supposedly last year. Also this Year they don't leave the east (if I'm not mistaken)

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks for answering My Questions everyone. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This has to be significant

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They are all hard schedules

On any given Sunday

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think it will be tough sledding, will 10-7 make the playoffs? The AFC conference is loaded.
    Our OL and coaching staff have to really step up and coach and prepare these guys to compete every game.
    Every game is a must and Steelers will need to play like that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    from what I can tell the majority of them guess at the record of each team. Then basically say team a played 5 teams that won 10 games and team b plays 6 teams that won 10 games. So team b has a harder strength of schedule. The guy that picked them as having the hardest strength of schedule tried taking into account road games etc.

Basically it’s all just a guess

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    While Ben was a part of the problem maybe even significant part he wasn’t the only problem. Not by a long shot. We had 15 different offensive line combinations last year. That in and of itself will wreak havoc on your offensive production. Additionally as we all know we were decimated by injuries on the defensive line. Teams could basically run on us at will. I personally believe we should see an improvement in those areas. Loved Ben, but he was clearly done. Mitch should be an improvement. Opposing defenses shouldn’t be able to stack the box and dare us to complete a pass down the seam. Additionally our defense should be better. Assuming we aren’t decimated by injuries again we should be formidable against the run. Will we be able to make teams one dimensional again? Only time will tell, but I think it’s highly unlikely teams are cashing us for 200+ yards a game.We lost Haden, but replaced him with a quality player in Wallace. Overall I think we will be a better team in 2022. Will that correlate to wins and and easy path to the playoffs? We will find out the answer to that question soon enough.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The development of the o-line in general, and Dan Moore in particular will be key to unlocking any offense.... With Alualu back in the middle and the young players further development, the run defense should look vastly different.,... If these things work out and health stays consistent, than the playoffs should be a foregone conclusion

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben will always be one of the greatest players in Steelers history and the second greatest quarterback, but…he was the most immobile quarterback in the league last season and his arm strength was greatly diminished. Canada’s system requires a mobile quarterback above everything else and if it doesn’t have one it just doesn’t work. That’s why I’m more optimistic about the upcoming season. Whether it’s Trubisky or Pickett, they are both mobile quarterbacks and should be much more effective in Canada’s system.

• Like Like x 1