1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Tomlin is the problem? Who then

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Dec 24, 2018.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So if he is truly the problem. I dont think he is. Who are you gonna get that is better? Is he the best? No.

I just dont understand firing a guy just for change. You might get worse.

I dont think he is going anywhere at all but all this chatter makes me wonder who is better.

So I am asking. Try and keep it serious please.
    I mean don't through out names just because they coach.

I can't think of 1 person who would be realistic and MAYBE better

2. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Just playing devil's advocate here - did anyone think Tomlin would be better than Cowher? Did anyone (aside from Bucs or Vikings fans) even know who MT was?

There's always someone better... we just have to trust that ownership knows how to find them.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Many would say he wasnt better than cowher. I see your point but I just dont want to start being that team that changes coaches every 4 years. All it takes is getting it wrong one time and bam. U are on that spiral

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Your can't think of anyone better because you don't think Tomlin is the problem.

Those of us who think he is a huge part of the problem could find lots of guys better .

We did this exercise already in another thread. Like I said then, I don't have the time or the resources to do the homework required to find an appropriate replacement. It would take someone to study and interview possible replacements .

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tomlin is likely going to stay; love or loathe the decision irrelevant.

Keith Butler on the other hand is as good as gone. Finding someone competent to run a defense should not be too difficult. I still believe the team should make a big change with Kris Richard. If not, go for Todd Bowles.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Tomlin has been here for 11 years. That's quite a run in today's NFL. I can't take anything away from the guy. But it is definitely time to move on. Tomlin's faults are well documented. Problem is they are costing us games now even more so than before. As long as the Steelers have Ben they have a shot. Why not bring someone in who might be able to get this team over the hump? Something has to change. I have no candidates in mind, but I trust the Rooneys to make a good hire. Their track record is incredible. 3 for 3

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    No doubt what so ever Mikey stays. Even if the Browns and Bengals win Sunday he will be our head coach. This season has reminded me that regardless who is Coaching a team so much is out of their control. Terrible ref calls have so much effect on a game, stupid penalties that stop drives, etc. etc.

I'd say Mike is better then a lot of the rest. I would love to spend a week in Cinn. just to ask their fans how the hell Marvin Lewis is still their head Coach???

8. chris2fer

chris2fer Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2016
    Pete Carroll will be free after 2021 season they should make a run at him.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    Someone will hire Kris Richard as head coach for 2019. I know it won't happen, but I pray it's the Steelers.

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Won’t have to look far as we’d hire Mike Munchak. He’d do to our entire team what he’s done with the OL - make it a consistent performer.

He’s got everything we’d want: smarts, experience, and loyalty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SteelersFanFromTX

SteelersFanFromTX

Jan 1, 2012
    The Cowboys are in a tough spot. They have an assistant coach who will be a hot commodity in Kris Richard. Like the Steelers, they seem incapable of admitting to themselves that the current coach needs to go.

They lost Sean Payton to NO years ago when Parcells was HC. Let's hope they make the same mistake with Richard, and the Steelers benefit by admitting Tomlin isn't the answer and making a bold move by bringing in Richard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Pete Carroll will be 70 yrs old in 2021.

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Maybe 3 for 3 since 1969 but they didn't fare so well during many of the early years.

Also, MT has a better win pct than every other Steelers coach. It may not be as easy as we think to find his replacement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_head_coaches

14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    His gum will be 71.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Disagree...If the Browns AND Bengals win Sunday...No way in hell should he stay...THAT, Should be the final nail in his coffin!

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    Munchak has been a head guy before. Not better than tomlin

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Tomlin is not getting fired it’s just not gonna happen. I fear butler and smith may stay too lol.

I think butler/smith go we may have a shot to go in the playoffs and lose to pats lol

18. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Is Hermann still on the staff? If so, lock him up to a contract. Although we lost, this defense is much different than what I saw a couple weeks ago

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree at least short term. He would be the perfect fit to jump right in at least until Ben retires. Then we can reevaluate from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Blame Kevin Colbert and his crew for drafting low to no football talent with low character and very high unwarranted arrogance. The problem is the players they don't have the talent and never will. Everyone drastically over estimates the Steelers' talent.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    Munch failed miserably as a head coach. Great line coach. Lousy head coach. Tomlin is going no where any more than Art Rooney will be leaving.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    He clearly wasn't playing with the same deck of cards as Tomlin. Your HC is basically as good as his QB. It's no coincidence all the good teams have or are getting outstanding QB play. You can even look at the Ravens turnaround. It's not like LJ is throwing the ball with great success but they built the O around his strengths and they have come alive. You might be right about Munch but using his Tennessee experience as a reason for him not being successful isn't a good barometer. I don't get the argument about not being able to find a better coach. What has Tomlin done in the last 10 years that makes him irreplaceable? Unless you are satisfied with just "non losing seasons".

This team has been and always will be built through the draft. I personally would rather have some terrible years so we can reload than to be the same team we've been for the last 10 years. Mediocrity isn't the best approach to rebuilding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup just need another corner safety and lb with a competent coordinator

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! NO! NO! NO!

25. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Tomlin has a big hand in drafting as well. You think he has no input?

• Agree Agree x 2