1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So it begins

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jul 24, 2024.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The dog days of summer are underway which means that the parched desert that is professional sports reporting has had nothing meaningful to write about since the Stanley Cup was hoisted, the Celtics added to their impressive banner collection and MLB teams got a taste for the player they will be paying a boatload of cash to sign away from the Pirates. So the start of camps are underway and without holding back most clickbait authors are declaring victory already.

Apparently Josh Allen is looking perfect and the Bills are ready to win. Football in shorts in July....

So it begins.

Just about time for sign everyone threads to start as camp phenomenons are revealed. Huzzah!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so many teams are given the super bowl trophy at this point. usually the cowboys. :smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Or the Ravens because Lamar is da bestest QB ever.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Seriously the way some of these guys go off in the first reporting from camps is hysterical. A six year veteran QB throws a 20 yard pass on a slant route to a nine year veteran receiver in the first seven on seven session of day one in which the defense doesn't move and it's proof positive that the tandem will be MVP and offensive player of the year respectively.

The Lemar stuff is always a treat because it's always the year his accuracy goes up, and he becomes more dangerous of a QB beyond being a running QB. Yes I'd like to see that can you show me some of that? We could but we are waiting until the preseason to showcase those skills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's all about the drama in a nano second. The NFL has turned into a Drama show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I wish they'd give odds on the number of times the old bait and switch are used with Travis Kelce. I'd make a killing.

"Kansas City Chiefs star player focusing on being ready for fall..."

With the latest leg of the mega successful Eras tour wrapping up the podcast cohort is bracing for increased scrutiny from millions of Swifties looking for answers about when her Man will make an honest woman of her.

I'd make a killing seriously like Mahomes money.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The same overreactions happen here with the Steelers every year as well. People want to be believers!

CA will have a great catch in shorts and people will be calling him a stud #2. Then he will have 5 catches all year in real football because he is 5 foot 7

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Remember the steelers first team offense was perfect in preseason last year.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    There is always a case to be made for legitimate excitement over a player/team potential and discussing that versus the inevitable clickbait articles that generate unreal expectations.

The number one thing I look for in camp reports aren't the oh he dropping dimes 60 yards downfield to uncovered Austin or Pickens with a circus catch over JPJ, it's how are they practicing, how are the learning, are players understanding.. if Smith has them practicing plays until they are bored of them, that's a good thing, if there is an actual gameplan that attacks teams I'll be on the verge of excitement. Playing catch not so much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Or the Browns being undefeated in the preseason on their way to zero wins. Careers are destroyed and fortunes squandered in the daily lives of camp reporters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

let's predict some CA numbers!!!!

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Here’s the dumbest thing in the universe so far is that LaMar Jackson is working on patenting the #8. No not the jersey just the number. So anything with the #8 on or in it he will own. This guy is either the biggest moron or the greatest genius. I mean Nike owns the #23 so who knows. Let’s see I want to patent Dog hair. Y’all are too late!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    It would make sense to go very conservative until we see how Smith's playbook starts to take focus. The talk about Pickens seeing more slot reps could be smoke and mirrors. If they use dbl TE sets as a sort of base formation that limits CA to limited snaps due to being more one trick than Wallace ever was. He lacks size to be an asset in run blocking and not a big enough threat to necessarily force a safety over top until they can prove he is that threat. I can see him spending more time in a 3wr package where he can move slot to outside when they pull Washington off the field. At this point we have to assume 75% to Pickens, 10% to Muth and other TE's, 10% to all other receivers and the final 5% to rbs. That is until something else develops

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    That's got to be a Baltimore thing. Remember the guy who trademarked their first logo and took the Ravens to court over it? It's like they see opportunity and dollar signs everywhere.

15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    No doubt,Lamar need a agent

16. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I do it all the time. I think Super Bowl if we are looking amazing in the first quarter of the first game.:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'd like that 1st game to at least look like they knew it was coming in the previous month and a half they are preparing for it. Just once give us a nearly complete game in all phases and Boz can doink one of the upright I don't care. Lie to me Mike, make me believe.

18. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

conservative - yes, for sure. But seems many are down on him. I am thinking he will have a decent season.

i can see 60 receptions, and 700 all purpose yards.

those are my numbers.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    CA3 will probably see most of his snaps from a triple bunch formation. He'll get used with screens, sweeps, and fly pattern. You can line him up outside like Memphis did when he was in college. He will outrun most CBs they put on him. If Pickens is the #1 getting the defenses best CB, CA3 will be a mismatch for CB#2/3.
    A triple bunch set with Pickens, CA3, and Wilson on 1-side is going to get somebody open a lot. Move those chains!

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

Tomlin took Super Bowl thoughts from my mind MANY MANY years ago

• Like Like x 1
  21. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Good luck getting #8 away from Kobe.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I have done any due diligence on Smith's preferred offense beyond what was reported when he was hired. Lots of talk about run game setting up the PA and that he rarely used a 3 wr set. Have you seen some reporting that they are looking at doing what you described? CA to me lacks the size to be a permanent fixture at WR, I can see Patterson being used more just for blocking.

23. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    As for the trips question, yes I watched a video about Smith's passing game. I think it is on this forum in a thread about Arthur Smith offense.

• Like Like x 2
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I agree it is optimistic - HOPE spring ETERNAL!!!

But with a BETTER OC and QB - I expect WR production across the board to increase.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    upload_2024-7-25_12-8-51.gif