1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Inconsistent

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PDXSteelers, Oct 16, 2011.

1. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You never know what you are going to get this year. I hope that with Harrison, Aaron Smith we will stop the run. It seems that the secondary played pretty well except for one lapse during the TD. However, next year we should draft the best guard available.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed. They are extremely inconsistent. So much so that they find inconsistency within a game. Usually inconsistent teams are like that from game to game. Our boys pull it off within a game. I expect them to improve in that area.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm reaching way back in the archives here. This way back thread goes all the way back to Oct. 2011. It was actually on thread page 614 which apparently is when this Steelers Fans forum was an itty bitty baby. Why did I do this? Because it could easily be just as relevant during this 2020 season. Year After Year After Year After Year, the Pittsburgh Steelers have been inconsistent game in game out, week in week out, year in year out. 8-8 or 11-2 it does not matter as they still search for an identity. Coordinators have come and gone, players have come and gone (Except for Ben, understandably). Mike Tomlin, not great but not terrible enough to fire either, still has this team being inconsistent. It's like dusting off an old novel and opening to page 1 even though you know how it will eventually end.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    That is true, but one thing that has remained consistent is 500 or better seasons. And I know that stat irritates some people, but there are many fans, of many teams, that would LOVE for their team to be that 'inconsistent'.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    A team with 6 SB titles usually will have fans with higher expectations than those of many other teams. Winning titles has made most Steeler fans addictive to wining more. Like a narcotic of sorts. For many, the addiction is still with us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I am sorry, but I am not going to buy into this narrative. If you look at the yards per play, the Steelers offense is currently 26th in the league at 5.1. Last year, the offense was 30th, at 4.7. Last year the defense fortunately matched the 4.7 yards per play, being tied for first. This year the defense yards per play has ticked up to 4.9, second in the league. For two years the offense has been in the bottom quadrant of the league in yards per play. Unfortunately there are about a half a dozen factors that have caused this problem - offensive coordinator, including schemes and play calling, running game, receivers dropping passes, run blocking, and QB play.

7. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    I hear ya... I get WAY too upset and critical of the losses and the causes therein, but occasionally I try to take a step back and gain some perspective. It generally doesn't work, but I try.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I get over losses in seconds compared to days before lol

9. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    What’s your secret?

• Like Like x 1
  10. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I'm still pissed we lost to the WFT. I expected us to drop the Bills game for the first loss and what was my hope the only loss of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2020-12-17_13-25-22.jpeg :rolleyes:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s out of my control, no sense in wasting days feeling like ass when I normally... feel like ass lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure, but clearly our expectations should be a little higher than that of a Jets or Browns fan. With the talent we have had over the years, our lack of playoff success is unacceptable. Nobody on here should be proud that we haven't finished under .500. I'd rather finish 7-9 and win the SB than finish 16-0 and not win it.

I'm so tired of hearing about this .500 record. While it shows a level of regular season success, our playoff record shows a complete and utter failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Losses actually don't bother me. Playing like absolute dog **** bothers me. Watching the team fail by doing the same thing over and over again drives me nuts. I don't mind losing to a better team, but I hate when we don't live up to expectations, which is often.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah it sucks lol. Don’t think I’m not mad when it’s happening, Especially to certain teams

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’m still pissed we lost to NE. Jesse James caught that ball!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Big Ben years. Some without a decent supporting cast. Kinda like the O'Donnell years of running the football, playing great defense. Or the latter Noll years but with a franchise qb in a totally different game of football.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    11-0

Hard to get more consistent than that.

0-2

Looks consistent to the previous 2 years.

Consistency isn't needed this year.

19. CanadianSteel

Oct 24, 2011
    I agree, our expectations are higher and they should be, because the franchise has had so much success over the years. It all goes hand in hand.