1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So Ben isn’t a top 10 QB?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 4124life, Oct 15, 2018.

1. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Wilson is easily the most overrated qb in the league

2. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Luck is most overrated in my book. A lot of hype, with no results. Wilson was a primary reason the Sea Hawks won the hardware and should have won another were it not for stupid coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It's because he's one of the best dual threat QBs in the league. Without his feet we wouldn't be all that impressive. This year his O-line sucks and he's running for his life. Still pulling out a half decent fantasy league numbers with no one around him. I'll take Ben over Wilson.

4. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    One thing I love about Ben, is that I felt confident that he could lead us back for the winning drive, and he ended up doing just that.

I've been a Steeler fan since O'Donnell was at QB. It's nice to have that kind of confidence in your QB.

Ben showed one hell of a showing against the Jaguars in the playoffs last year. He has these moments of being great at critical times. He throws a TD to Ju Ju with zero time on the clock to score over 40 points. If only he had more time.

Then he'll turn around and throw a terrible 5 pick game. He's still my man at QB until he retires.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Don't forget the additional 14 points he scored in that game...for the Jags.:sneak:;+)

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Look back at those picks though. One was pressured and one was a great play by the defender.

The Jags have one hell of a defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Ben doesn't have the mobility he once had. He's made up for it with intelligence in the game. He's past his prime, but still one of the top 10 QBs in the game easily.

You can't evaluate based on stats alone.

There are some up and comers like this Mahomes. Think he's going to be lighting it up in this league for a while.

8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I know. They were doomed when Tomlin ran his mouth about the NE matchup anyway.
    I think Ben prefers to play from a couple scores down, it ensures he can throw the ball every play.

9. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Being the Steelers nerd I am, I actually watched that game a couple of times. I really can't blame a lack of preparation. I think that's been overblown by the media.

Ultimately, the Steelers got out played physically. It was a bit tough to see as I'm not used to seeing that side of things.

But they ran the ball right down our throat and we couldn't do a damn thing to stop it. Everything from the defensive line backward got manhandled. Poor angles by linebackers, etc.. Add to that a mobile QB that was playing well, it was ugly, and the score reflected it.

On the other side, their defense was tough as nails. It's pretty damn impressive the Steelers put up 40+ points on them actually. The guys really stepped it up in at the end of the 2nd quarter, but it wasn't enough.

Ben's my man. There are Ben haters out there, but I'm not one of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If you are talking about who you'd want including the years beyond this season, that's a decent list. If you are talking about who is better right now, not so much.

Rivers has a great offense around him now. Luck is a huge injury risk. The Steelers' defense mostly handled Ryan despite all the weapons he has around him. Goff has even more talent around him than Roethlisberger with much less of a track record. Mahomes has seven or eight starts and he also has a loaded offense.

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    As I've stated before, Ben has always been streaky, gotta take the bad with the good. He can throw for 6 TD's in back to back games, then throw 2 picks and 1 TD in a loss to the 1-8 Jets the following week. He keeps things exciting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Junebug

Junebug Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    My son was at Miami University when Ben played for the Redhawks. He told me Ben was actually hated on campus because he acted like a real jerk, and girls did not want to date him for fear of "date rape". He had that reputation way back then according to people who attended Miami U. with him. He was an arrogant a**hole in college, and the people in his hometown of Findlay, Ohio don't even care for him. Has he changed? Absolutely....but those things in his past are hard to overcome.

As far as his QB ranking. I'd be lying if I claimed he was as good as he was a few years ago. Age and injuries. No one wins that battle. I see Ben declining. I think he has "maybe" one more decent year in him, but I expect his retirement announcement in the not too distant future. He'll be 37 before next season starts. How long before he realizes it's time? C'mon, guys, he can't play forever.

Biggest concern is WHEN do the Steelers go after his replacement?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Yep in a few short years it will be the new guys like Mahomes, Wentz, Mayfield (maybe, the Browns would have probably made Brady a nobody) and I hope like hell Mason Rudolph.

Oh, how could I forget, that idiot in New England will be playing at 50:(