1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

So a little Question

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Apr 12, 2024.

1. A Great Qb

10 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. OK Qb

37 vote(s)
    67.3%
  3. Terrible Qb

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What do You think Justin Fields will end up being???

2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Absolutely no idea. Think I’ve watched him play exactly one time. He is electric with the ball in his hands, but the turnovers and sacks are troubling to say the least. Granted, sacks aren’t always on the qb, but he has the tendency of holding onto the ball. If our new qb coach and oc can fix his ills he has a very bright future. However, if they can’t he’s just another name on the list of first round draft pick busts. If I were to bet it would be bust, but I’m just playing the odds

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I really anticipated the options would have been

Better than Trubisky
    A lot better than Trubisky
    A hell of a lot better than Trubisky

• Hilarious Hilarious x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Hopefully stable team and hard work will allow him to improve

• Like Like x 4
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I took the middle option. I think he’ll be better than what we had last year, but not good enough. Please stay healthy Mr. Wilson.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    I’m going to pass on something I learned so that it can be passed down to future generations of this board. It’s a valuable lesson that’s as tried and true as rain. There’s no need to thank me but Hear me and Hear me good, Woe is Ye that not heedith this warning.

Never ever bank on OSU or Bears’ Quarterbacks

That’s it, You’re welcome.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I dont think we have found our long term QB in Fields but I do expect him to be just OK. He has the same skill set and judging by the stats very simliar to Lamar Jackson

Fields: 29 total TD 4,192 total yards 19 giveaways 84.7 rating
    Jackson: 24 total TD 4,449 total yards 15 giveaways 94.3 rating

• Like Like x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think he will be a "good" QB, but since that wasn't an option I voted OK. He has a very good skillset to operate on a team who can run the ball and play defense (which makes him a great fit for our identity as a team right now). Basically if he can develop into an ok passer and get it done with his legs, then I think he has a chance at being great. We could essentially get the same output from him as Baltimore gets out of Lamar. Couple that with a really good defense and running game and we will be tough to beat.

I think a lot of people have concerns about his development as a passer, but that is less relevant if we build the offense around his skills. We don't need him to be Ben Roethlisberger. We need him to be good with his legs, move the ball with a stellar run game, and make defenses pay if they sell out too hard against the run. I think he is more than capable of doing that. I think if he improves just a little bit as a passer and we end up a 12+ win team, then he is likely looking at MVP votes because of how electric he can be with the ball in his hands. The possibilities are endless if we play it right. If not, he will at the very least be a reasonably solid QB for us that will bridge the gap until we swing again at the draft. There is essentially no risk in it. Been saying it for a long time... Love the possibilities and think it is a really high floor move.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I think an OSU QB has a real shot at being one of the best QB's in the league here pretty soon. Stroud is looking awesome. The Texans could be a force to be reckoned with for a while in the AFC.

• Like Like x 1
  10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    Time will tell but I voted ok but hoping for great

• Like Like x 2
  11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm not expecting anything above "okay". The odds aren't in his favor at this point, and while we can hope the Steelers find something that develops his passing game, his issues seem tied to vision and ability to read defenses, which isn't something they were able to do much with in two year's time with Pickett. I do think they can impart more ball security into his approach, which along with his legs keeps him above "terrible".

The low cost and dynamic physical traits make him worth a dice roll, but he's a lottery ticket - you hope you win the jackpot, but know the best you're probably going to get out of the deal is a few bucks that tides you over until you get another.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Not only is he a pick machine (must be something in the Chicago water) but also had 38 fumbles. Another knock is reading defense's.

Was a good deal Khan got him for a sawbuck 6th rounder next season.

Unfortunately their is always going to be a QB that gets injured goes out for the season. Khan can get that 6th back as well as a 2nd or 3rd for him.

• Like Like x 1
  13. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
  14. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He's a bust. He and the Steelers just don't know it yet, but they will.

• Like Like x 1
  15. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    So you voted
    Terrible?

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Has physical tools but has the same problems that he had at OSU. Processing and reading defense's. Now in the nfl it's more magnified. Not our next franchise qb. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I think they know you don't get a franchise QB for a sixth rounder next year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I did.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023
    No prediction and no vote. Boring answer,yes I know. It's a fresh start . I won't speculate, and hope for the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Ok you got me. I actually participated in a poll!!!!!!! He will be an OK QB which is a WHOLE lot better than we had this year.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i don't foresee much change overall.

on one hand we may see more TD's but more turnovers to go with that. either way it puts more stress on the defense, which already is stressed just by the league rules on a defense. what have we really gained? less scoring with less turnovers as opposed to more scoring and more turnovers. not many times do teams that lose the turnover battle win the game. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you hit it on the head. While Fields had two solid years his sophomore and junior years (a better sophomore year) it is a similar knock on Pickett. Pickett was subpar in prior years and had off the charts stats as a fifth year senior. As many QBs have mentioned the speed of the game in the NFL makes for an intense learning curve which unfortunately today’s NFL doesn’t allow for much leniency in the “Win Now” environment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I voted Ok QB.

I think he has the potential to be a really really good QB and good enough to win a championship with the right team around him. Will he be a tier 1 QB, no...he's no Mahomes......upper end Tier 2, very well could be.

• Like Like x 1
  24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I voted OK with the hopes of being great. One thing that may be to Fields’ advantage is the general scheme of AFC North football. He is being compared to Lamar Jackson for his style of play. Steelers-Ravens are always tough games not just due to the rivalry, but because they are drafted and built to beat each other. That’s even one reason why every year Steelers and Ravens seem to draft a player that was on the other’s draft board. Now with all that said, we have seen how Lamar dominates the Browns and Bengals, we are more or less trying to keep up with the Jones. How good/great Justin Fields can be remains to be seen. I’m hopeful and this will be exciting to watch develop.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this is not a hit on MT but i don't think he value's intelligence at certain positions over physical attributes. we can have the most gifted athlete capable of doing many things physically but without the cerebral part of the game it never will flourish into greatness. some positions on the field you can get away with physicality and some the mental part is needed over those physical skills. getting both is very difficult unless you dig deeper. i hope we are not giving up on trying to find a prospect with both skills at qb. :cool:

• Like Like x 1