1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

smoke and mirrors

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Jan 9, 2012.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have been trying to figure out how the leagues number 1 pass defense can get torched by tim tebow. i was looking back at some of the games and was wondering, is it because we played so far of the ball and kept everything in front of us all game long. we never really gave up the big play other than the ravens games. we could not get to the qb this year. I dont know how many turnovers we ended up with but i am sure it was toward the bottom of the league. the pats game has me confused. we played man and got up on the recievers and shut em down. so why can we not do that against denver? We dominated time of poss against pats. I think that had more to do with it than the d. I guess I am just looking for answers, I feel like this is just a bad dream and I will wake up and the game will start. I never really questioned the talent on the defense before, but now I am. Hampton needs to go along with farrior. Gay has played good this year but once again he gets burnt in a big spot. Woodley better earn his money next year because he didnt this year. I dont want to talk about the other corner I am still to dissapointed to mention him. Can anyone help me figure this out? It cant be the fact that they just had a bad day, can it?

2. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I was shocked at how well Tebow was protected in the pocket, honestly. They have him all day to make those long passes and when the pass wasn't there, he could cleanly escape for the run and we weren't prepared for that either. I'm not sold on any one particular player being at fault here, or all season (let's be honest, these problems weren't in just this game). This was a failure on nearly everyone's part, from coaching staff to players. I too get puzzled when I see how many really solid players we have and we simply can't produce. Our red zone play has been awful most of the year, and we've left a ton of points on the field. Overall, I have to believe it's failure at the system level over any single players. What we have always done no longer works, and that needs to be addressed.

3. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    In this league, the DBs typically are handcuffed especially against a perfect pass. Gay did not get torched on that TD, he had good coverage, the pass was absolutely perfect. Hampton got injured (and Kiesel) early in the game. The game plan was to make Tebow try to beat us trhrowing - he typically is not accurate at all, last night, his passes looked like Jonny Unitas was tossing them.

4. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Bad team preparation + bad play calling + bad clock management + zero/poor in-game adjustments = bad coaching. Plain and simple. We need changes. If not in coaching personnel, then in coaching philosophy. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater (unless that baby is BAby), but changes need to happen!

:amen:

5. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

Well Put. I hope the team realizes this.