1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple, reasons why we lost

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by WWW, Jan 22, 2017.

1. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    You can list 50 reasons why we lost, and most of them could be accurate.

WE LOST BECAUSE we were outcoached.
    The main reasons:
    1- No pressure on Marcia. This resumes well why our D didn't perform.
    2- O Red Zone playcalling. Not the first time this happens...
    3- O Gameplan - Bad calls on 1st give you 2nd and 3rd and long. Bad calls on Red Zone cost you 4-6 points, at least, each drive.
    4- WRs: No true deep threat / Drops (This is not only on coaches), and no 3rd WR (Ayers, anyone??).
    5- Inability to create turnovers (related to point 1, and is part execution, part coaching)

IMHO, we DID NOT LOSE because:
    BEN. He was accurate most of the game. Should have had at least 3 more long completions (and a TD).
    BELL. He was missed, but the O Gameplan was not working while he was in.
    BROWN's video. Yes, it was awful and a poor choice by him, but that doesn't mess with the gameplan and playcalling (which I'm pointing as the real reason we lost).
    BOZ. Yes, he missed an extra point, but nothing else.
    OFFICIATING. Yes, there were mistakes (IMHO, it was a fumble), but when your D and O play like that, you can't blame it on the officials

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    3rd and longs for us was the story of the night. We could get NE in to some 3rd and longs but then we'd just retreat in to that reject scheme where we concede the sticks and rinse and repeat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Reasons we lost

1. We actually believed we were the better team

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Agree with all but Bell, that hurt more than we realize. He was getting his usual chunks. Wouldn't have changed the whole game, but it would have made a difference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    We lost because we tried to beat Brady with zone coverage, with a young secondary.

We lost because our defense didn't stunt or delay blitz through gaps that open up in their blocking schemes.

But I'm glad we lost here instead of in the Super Bowl by a far superior Falcons team.

I watched a lot of video on the Pats this week, and you have to stunt and delay blitz to beat them. And you have to play aggressive man coverage against their passing attack.

The Pats disguise their defense so well that its impossible to audible against them. They bring everybody into the box pre-snap and flow into coverage while the play is in motion. Their DC must be a LeBeau disciple.

6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    They came out and executed their plan. I think they were shocked by our defense...shocked because it was so moronic.

We came out and reacted and made mental errors all over the field. Gilbert for example completely whiffed on his block on the 1 yard line. Fumbles, dropped balls, We showed up like it was week 6 against the Bengals. We'd just win cause were gonna just do what we do.

Bell looked hurt from snap 1. That really killed us also.

7. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Belichick is on their sideline.
    Tomlin (or any other coach)is on ours.

8. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not having Bell was a game changer as he accounts for 60% of the offense. The first 3rd and 1 to Coates was the right call cause he was one on one but I question why Coates was in the game to begin with as he had not really been in the plans over the last month or so. I actually was kind of miffed they deactivated Ayers.

Not having a true number 2 hurt after Bell went down but these guys are rookies and they've made plays all season so I cant really be mad. In my opinion I think Cobi Hamilton is a better option and just better at this point than Wheaton ever was or Coates is, and how about Jesse James, Nix, Grimble and Eli (all young talent and all were contributed late in the season)

The O-Line was huge this year (false penalties aside) we just need depth but again how about Finney he played great when called upon. Defensively I believe we have to find a replacement for William Gay, Timmons and Harrison (I hope Timmons and Harrison return but we need youth at the position.

GET RID OF MITCHELL & GOLDEN, there I said it! I'm not a big fan of either. And please learn how to play man to man coverage, its easier than zone in most cases and FIRE DANNY SMITH (our special teams play was awful all year)

9. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Guilty as charged

10. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    The mighty Steelers D got tooled by a lacrosse player

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    D needs to improve. Need a starting OLB, CB

12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It is simple really. The D is what it is against a good QB. Bryant left us without a viable #2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    We looked really lost in coverage. It was very embarrassing to watch.

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I said Brady would torch us, offense failed regardless.

15. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    If Belichick and his staff are coaching the Steelers instead, we win by 35.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  16. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    So disappointed with Sammy Coats, the guy is simply worthless. Balls thrown his way have less than a 20% chance of being caught. Notice how if it don't hit his chest, he whiffs on balls. I like Rogers & Ayers better than him. Plus with Bryant coming back next year, do we have room for Coats?? If we carry 5 wide outs, I'm thinking Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Heyward-Bey, and Ayers...

17. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'll give him a semi-pass (which he'll miss... sorry, had to be said) on this game. He shouldn't have been out there. Aside from fielding KO's, he hasn't seen real game action in weeks. Why was he the target on that 3rd and 1?? Silliness.

18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Agree about Coates, but you could add Heyward-Bey also because he can't catch either.

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ward wasn't fast, but caught everything thrown his way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Hamilton actually had a TD hit him right in the chest and STILL dropped it :facepalm:

21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    It's funny you mention this, BFT. On the Pats board they are saying they should have just taken a knee on 1st and 2nd because our soft zone made it so easy on 3rd and long...so embarrassing.

22. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Someone in the Pittsburgh media need to ask Keith Butler why his defense historically can't get off the field on 3rd downs. If the Patriots can get off the field on similar situations, why can't we?? It's been like that all season. I rather get beat on a blitz than laying back in a soft zone all game in all situations...

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    All decade, actually. This has been a problem going back to even before SB XLIII. The question is, what's it going to take for someone to finally fix it????

Reason we lost: poor coaching / game plan / stubbornness / players looking overwhelmed (whether from the moment, lack of preparation, or illness, doesn't matter. They weren't up to snuff and were out manned).

24. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Brings back bad memories of the Super Bowl loss to Green Bay. Ward caught everything in his area code, and Ben kept trying to force balls to Mike Wallace.

25. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    I don't even know what to call it. Restraining order coverage- can't get within 50 feet of them or go to jail, radioactive coverage- fear of getting cancer from coming near them, terrorist coverage- afraid they'll detonate their pads and take you with them?