1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Silverback's going to the SB!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 21, 2018.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    42 would have been enough if roethlisberger hadn’t given them 14

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He might have been wrong but that's no excuse to act like JH did.

JAD, you'd be so enlightened if you had an open mind but you never think you're wrong so there goes any learning experience for you ;)

3. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I think it was probably Tomlin or Porter, my money is on Porter. He impresses me as a lying, chicken, want a be thug that I wouldn't trust for a second. I'm just sorry if it was him that James didn't pick him up by the throat and slap the snot out of him.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I do have an open mind and agree on JH acted like a jack ass. But come on he could of helped us some, you need to admit that especially how bad we were on defense down the stretch. He had more of a chance to sack or tackle Bortles or Brady then Dupree or Spence did.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think most of these guys argument is the fact JH was lied to by Tomlin and that made his actions ok. I'm of the opinion that playing time isn't deserved or owed. JH was being paid for his services whether he was on the bench or on the field. If I recall correctly after signing with the Pats JH along with alot of fans said it was just business. For some reason when JH wasn't getting playing time it wasn't business then?

The people that are complaining about JH being let go are the same ones complaining about other players like Mitchel and Bell not getting disciplined for their actions. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Glenn have you ever played competitive sports.......now magnify that by a thousand. These guys are where they are because they love to compete. You can't just say that they should be happy to be on the bench because they are getting paid. Like I said no one except them knows what was said and promised so it's not that easy to describe his behavior as wrong. In a perfect world ....yes ,but it doesn't work that way,look at some of the other idiots on the team and they get to play.

7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Brady will struggle and then he'll go off in the SB and win MVP. Patriots will sign him for another 3 seasons and get holding calls against him every game to continue their (*) dynasty.

8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I've played High school Baseball, Football, Basketball and Track. As an adult I've played on a flag football league, Mens baseball, and basketball league. I have for years and currently play on a softball team. Also play on a dart league. I coached and ran a traveling baseball team for 10 years. I know all about it.
    I know these guys want to play, but there's never a good excuse to act the way JH did nor should it be acceptable.

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Spence? Focus JAD, lol. He might have a better chance then Bud but I honestly cant say it would have made a difference because we weren't sending anyone after Bortles while NE was blitzing the crap out of him. There are real reasons to rail against Tomlin, no need to make up bs ones. You guys should be complaining about the scheme they dialed up for the Jags game.

Pay the man.

He doesnt have to be happy about being on the bench but he could have embraced a roll as a mentor, kept his nose to the grindstone and being ready if his number was called. Maybe he could have taught Bud some things. Instead he turned his back on the team that made him, that kept giving him opportunity after opportunity to make the team. Where was he when they needed him, thats right, on the team he detests.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Pats don't have 2 first round draft picks at OLB ahead of Harrison, that's why he gets more playing time.

11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Bell and JH are two completely different cases. Bell has been suspended twice since he's been here. The Steelers have put up with his raps about contract negotiations, twitter stupidity, missed practices, hold outs, and repeated other non stop doucebaggery. All of this and he was still offered a deal that would make him the highest paid running back by far. He comes in after missing last year's biggest game, and misses the walk-through before this year's biggest game. Of course people are pissed at Bell.

JH situation is completely the opposite. JH came in and made this defense better last year. I'll go a step further, He put a bad defense on his back. We may not even play in the Afccg if not for JH effort against the Chiefs. He keeps himself in great shape, comes back for one more year, and the Steelers decide they aren't going to use him. Wouldn't you feel slapped in the face. Especially when you see teams running up and down the field on us. JH might have just retired if he knew.

Im not saying I condone how JH acted. But this is the leading sacker in Steelers history. You can't compare him to some kid bitching about playing time. And you sure shouldnt compare him to Bell. All they had to do was keep him involved and we wouldn't be talking about this. Instead he felt disrespected, and I don't blame him for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Well atleast Tomlins post season got extended he's coaching the AFC in the Probowl. I guess you could say he's in a Bowl may not be the Superbowl but hey this might be his stairway to seven.;)

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed on JH. There's no excuse for acting like a child. With that said, I also don't like the fact that our coaching staff lied to JH. They kept telling him he was going to play. They needed to be honest with the man. Let him know that he may get a chance depending on how the season plays out, but at the current time, his snaps will be very limited and he may not be active some games. That's likely all it would have taken. If he acts out, then he gets yanked aside and told to smarten up. If that doesn't work, then send his ass home for a couple days or even a week.

Perhaps nothing would have changed, but there's blame on both sides. Neither side acted with much integrity

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

I believe the following:
    1) That Harrison acted like a total douchebag this season and I was profoundly disappointed in his behavior and lack of engagement with our young guys.
    2) I understand that Harrison is a competitor and wants to play, but he did a piss poor job of expressing his dissatisfaction (sleeping/snoring in meetings, etc.)
    3) Harrison IS making his presence felt with the Patriots whether we want to admit it or not. He's not the Harrison of old, but the quarterback still knows he's around.
    4) This is worst case scenario for Tomlin. He releases a Steeler legend who then goes to the team that Tomlin seems to be obsessed with and is used by Belichick who is able to derive some value of the old linebacker when Tomlin, Butler, Porter and company could not find a way to utilize what Harrison still has left in the tank.
    5) NONE OF THIS WOULD MATTER IF THE STEELERS OLB GROUP AND THE REST OF THEIR DEFENSE HAD GONE OUT AND MADE A FEW IMPACTFUL PLAYS AGAINST THE JAGUARS LAST SUNDAY WHILE HARRISON WAS WATCHING CARTOONS! NOT ONE DEFENDER FOR THE STEELERS MADE A PLAY. LIKE IT OR NOT, HARRISON MADE A COUPLE OF PLAYS. THAT'S WHY WE HAVE A THREAD LIKE THIS THAT'S CAUGHT FIRE. AND THE CRAZY THING IS, JOEY PORTER STILL COACHES THE OLBS!
    6)I'll throw this in sideways, but I believe Porter was jealous of Harrison and was doing what he could to hold him back. I have absolutely ZERO evidence to support this, but it's a gut feeling.

#FJPI #FCLI

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    A lot of this saga can be hung around the neck of Porter imo. Porter as the position coach has to be the guy to tell JH92 what the team's expectations are of his role. Whether that playing time directive comes from Tomlin or Porter himself, he has to communicate it. Wanna play the young guys fine, let him know that. Did they communicate that to him?? I don't know, it seems early in the preseason Porter or Tomlin (cant remember) said that JH92 was going to be in a reserve role. JH claims they said it was going to be rotational. It doesn't seem like they were on the same page at all. Another miscommunication and we cannot say for sure who's fault that is.

If the claims of JH being a malcontent are true then Porter should have nipped that in the bud very early on. So many ways he could have dealt with it, but it seems Porter didn't do much at all.

Is someone here going to actually tell me 5-10 snaps a game was going to stunt the development of TJ Watt? That's ludicrous. Porter, who controls the OLB rotation, could have given JH some snaps while pulling Watt to the sideline for instructions, pointers, etc. Especially in the games where the offense was run heavy. Not utilizing all the talent at your disposal is the sign of a bad coach. Chick should have been rotating with Dupree and JH with Watt. Moats could have been the inactive one when injuries to other spots dictated it. It's not like Moats is integral to the STs. And JH is going to give you a lot more bang for your buck at OLB than Moats will.

Just bad handling of the positional group and a lot of miscommunication it seems from the outside looking in. Two big egos in Porter and JH clashing too. But if you are a coach in the NFL you have to be able to deal with big egos on players.

JH's behavior is inexcusable but so is Porter's mishandling of the situation too imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. TOMSTEEL88

TOMSTEEL88 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Way to go Tomlin. Oh and Blount is playing also . Two ex Steelers that all they wanted to do was play football and dumba$& Tomlin let's them go . Congratulations Harrison and Blount . Hey Tomlin we are the PITTSBURGH STEELERS not the Cleveland clowns

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    You had me at darts....lol. I still disagree though....if I was on my last legs and put everything I had into even being able to play at that age and was potentially promised playing time and strung along I would force my way onto another team with a chance to win a SB and go out on top. Reportedly JH asked for his release on many occasions and was denied. Maybe some of the other teams that were in contention earlier in the season would of thought of bringing him in but at that point of the year with 2 friggin weeks to go the pickings were slim....agree or disagree whether his actions were the best example of professionalism, the fact that we were dumb enough to let him go at that point knowing quite well where he was heading was just another dumb decision by our coaches. They knew he could of helped in some capacity but their stubbornness and arrogance got in the way like it usually does with Tomlin....

18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    JHs nose is always to the grindstone and always ready. You can't expect him to sit back and wait for his number to be called.....what if it never was. He doesn't have much time left and you expect him to be cool with that. Sounds to me like he signed with the promise he was gonna play and understand it was gonna be in a limited role....not none at all. These guys are prideful,not everyone is gonna accept a mentor role. He didn't get where he is without being a little selfish,most pros are and have to be to get to that level. Look at the situation with Eli and the Giants. Eli knows he has something left and was unwilling to take a back seat to any of their QBs and the team had like 2 wins... Matter of fact he told them that if he didn't start he wasn't gonna play....I doubt anyone would describe Eli as a bad guy or teammate..... Once again IMO it would of been easy the scrounge up some snaps for Harrison and I'm sure given the chance he would of produced.....he always did and still does.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Clearly he didn't have his nose to the grindstone as he was busy trying to get himself released after they didn't grant his request.

I don't give a **** about his pride, he's not above the team and should have kept his trap shut. Does that mean Tomlin or Porter didn't handle the situation poorly by promising him playing time? Nope but I don't care.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Put yourself in his shoes....if you were at a company that was holding you back from achieving something you really wanted and another company across the street was willing to give you the opportunity you craved your whole life,what would you do just sit back and enjoy it or try and find a way out....I know the answer and that's what he did....simple.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Bad example. JH is an athlete bound by contract.

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Well he found a loophole...contracts in the NFL don't amount to much. If Mitchell did the same thing we would be glad because he sucks. I know you don't want to give JH any credit for what he's doing up there and if he's such a non factor you seem awfully sore for the way he left. There are two sides to the story and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. You can choose their side and the way they treated him and I'll choose his side. With the ever growing laundry list of terrible decisions made by our current staff. I myself will stay convinced that this was yet another....

Edit: also not really such a bad example because even if you were under contract I'm sure you could devise a plan to get fired....and that's what he did,he basically got fired.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL you think I'm sore he left? That's hysterical. Wrong, it's the laughable notion that he his 6 tackles in the playoffs has played some huge roll in NE advancing to the SB.

Next week his finger will brush Foles jersey with a 20 point lead and we'll see more Tomlin is stupid for releasing JH threads again.

You don't speak for me Steel, don't put words in my mouth. I was on JHs side until the story developed but either way, I always believed he was washed up and he is. 40 year old malcontent.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh I guess I was still waiting for you to give him credit for the fumble he clearly caused and put them in a 3rd and 18 hole and then with the game still on the line the very next play pressuring Bortles to step up in the pocket and rush a throw again with the game still undecided . Funny when he made one play in a game against the Chiefs he was amazing and a hero....cmon Blast I know you know football and no matter how great a impact you wanna give him credit for ,he made a difference. He didn't just do nothing like our entire defense. He had a direct impact on a negative play which is more than I can say for what our guys did...
    If he was such a malcontent like some of OUR players want us to believe why wasnt he outright released earlier and not when we needed a roster spot with 2 weeks to go in the season....if he was so washed up and useless he should of been cut way sooner ....or did our coaches not realize he was done

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Oh, you mean the sack and fumble credited to Van Noy? Oh ok, got it. And step up in the pocket? Really? Wow so impressive. Bortles made a good throw regardless of stepping up or not, it was Gilmore who saved that play.

News flash, NE wins that game even if JH was still in a Steelers uniform.