1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Silverback's going to the SB!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    He took Porters' place. When he was ejected for fighting before a game IIRC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have to call that out. Harrison didn't 'go rogue' on that play. They had prepped for that play - a combination of coaching and a player knowing when to pull the trigger. The run back was also made possible because of the work they had done in practice on blocking when the defense turned the ball over.

It was a great play, and a lot of things went into it - it wasn't just Harrison deciding to do his own thing at the goal-line.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah and everyone was going crazy when he sealed the deal against the Chiefs in the playoffs last year and this year......but now one play that put Jacksonville in a 3 and 18 hole meant nothing.....weird.
    Truth is one play can decide a game. How many plays did our D make last week? Oh that's right..none.
    Not one single play for a loss the whole game. Don't agree with the way JH went about forcing his way out
    but the blueprint was there(Blount) and established by Tomlins lack of discipline for everyone else or maybe just the guys he chooses A PopWarner coach would of been able to come up with a way to get him some snaps.
    What would you guys have done if you were in his shoes? He knows he doesn't have much time left.. He busts his ass to stay in shape,he spends hundreds of thousands a year just to be able to play. He keeps asking for more PT only to be told it's coming and it never does. Watt and Dupree didn't need to play every single play the entire season and get subbed by Chickillo and Moats. There was a time for Harrison especially seeing how we got run on and over just about every week.

Our coaching staff just continues the look dumber by the day. The Cheats seemed to do everything that our geniuses couldn't figure out....stop the run(check), QB sneak for a 1st(check) get JH enough snaps to make a impact(check) beat Jacksonville (check,check) Oh well at least they get to enjoy Orlando and coach a game where their asinine decisions won't matter......He who laughs last,laughs best....(JH)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    "Obviously " MT.

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Oh boy, I really want to see James Harrison win a Super Bowl with the cheats! That will really rub it in the faces of everyone and I will be happy and the world will change...and Tomlin will be fired...stupid.

This thread makes me ill...

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It was definitely an amazing play by Harrison but it wasn't the play call. He recognized something and adjusted to what he saw.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    There's no way you can convince me that Tomlin/Butler could not have found some way to utilize JH this season. All Harrison wanted was to be a part of it. I never blamed him for being pissed and acting like a prick. He was an absolute beast in the playoffs last year. He's a beast everytime he steps on the field. Good coaching could have utilized his strengths. I know he's past his prime but there's no way he couldn't be used situationally.

I wish James the best.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree, I'm just baffled how anybody can dispute this. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    This. Maybe JH being grumpy early in the season put him in Tomlin's doghouse. (And Tomlin has a habit of letting those players rot on the bench.)

Getting JH involved does not mean making him a starter, or expecting him to be DPoY. Just a snap here and there, to give the starters a chance to recover.

The last two years, there were concerns about the number of snaps Heyward and Tuitt were playing, about the need for a backup player to give them a break. It is that kind of role that JH could have done for the OLBs.

11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    No, he didnt. The official stat line credits Van Noy with the sack and I cant tell who caused that fumble and can't find anything official on that.

Lets assume he did though...

[​IMG]

People can think our season would have ended any different with JH on the team if they want to. The same people making a big deal about JH's minimal production would be killing Bud for that same output.

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    SB Nation:

Patriots 24, Jaguars 20: James Harrison’s first sack of the day was a big one. His strip of Bortles didn’t lead to a turnover, but it forced the Jags into a third-and-19 in the middle of the biggest drive of the game.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  14. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Relax the Eagles are winning the SB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    The Pats are 5.5 point favorites. I will bet the Eagles as soon as I figure out how heavy.

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    You're comparing a back up to a starter in regards to output??

17. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    As far as Dupree’s production, he gets roughly 2x as many snaps but the same or less output. Different system though-I guess.

18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Blast Furnace. Why is it so hard to just give the man his due? Harrison played a great game yesterday. He got great pressure every time he rushed, and he set the edge on running plays. He was close to having a couple of other sacks too. I don't care what the stats sheet says. I know what my eyes saw. JH played well.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I haven't checked his snap counts past one game where he had 30 but fine. His last full season here he had 5 sacks. Bud had 6 this year. Is he getting better with age?

20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Because of what you just said, he played great. That's an exaggeration. He had 3 tackles and was in the back field 2 plays at the end, maybe causes a fumble of Van Noys sacks. I didn't even notice he was playing until those last two plays. As for setting the edge, not trying to call you out but that's just perception, you wouldn't know that without watching the All 22 and it's not out yet.

21. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree 100%. And that is why his coach is now Belichick and not Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. MIke

MIke Member

Jan 17, 2018
    What do you think the Steelers are gonna say? He was the perfect cadet and we choose not to use him.. they're covering themselves so they don't look like idiots by trying to paint him in a bad light... All the years of him bleeding black and gold and he's just going to decide to be the bad guy,,, I don't think so...

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah ....system shmystem. So Bud had 6 coverage sacks and 100 jumping on pile tackles in hundreds of snaps. Do they keep stats on how many times his side got run over....terrible season and output by Dupree. He sure put together a nice string of games without hearing his name called.....thoroughly outplayed all season by a rookie. Is Watt that great or Bud that sad?

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    For a 40 year old man who hadn't played all season and recently caught on with a new team, I would say he played great. You keep looking for ways to prove your point. Who cares if he gets credited with the sacks or not. He was right there. I keyed on James the whole game. When he was in he looked every bit like the player from last years playoffs. Tomlin ****ed up. JH played better against the Jags in limited snaps than anyone on our defense did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

The Front office didn’t make the comments about Harrison his teammates did. The Steelers weren’t trying to save face. They did exactly what they should have done. Sleep during meetings, skip practices you don’t play. It’s pretty simple.

• Agree Agree x 1