1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sign Nick Foles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jammasterc, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    haha!
    I just had to!
    But seriously, I feel he's a capable backup.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think he wants to be a starter and that's why he asked to be traded or released or whatever he asked for. He had that one good year but I really think it was just because he was behind a huge o line that gave him tons of time to throw.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Wouldn't be the worst signing, he has experience and has shown to be successful at times.

4. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Ha. You've gotta be kidding. He's horrible. He had some production his first year in Chip Kelly's offense throwing very short passes and seeing LeSean McCoy take off but the league caught up in a hurry. He was horrid his third year in Philly. He was dreadful in StL. His 2015 is one of the worst seasons a qb has ever had:
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...was-worse-than-his-conventional-stats-looked/

I'd rather have Landry Jones.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  5. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Get him back with Andy Reid and he'll be fine.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  7. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Nick Foles

8. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I have more faith in him than Landry Jones. But, we haven't the cap space for such a move. Plus I think he would like to have shot where he could maybe be a starter.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Where are all the Charlie Batchs when you need them?? Those type ...come every once in a blue moon

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup, demanded to be traded after the Rams traded up to get Goff. He doesn't want to be a back up.

Definitely.

11. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Foles wasnt comfortable in the rams offense last year with a new OC, new system, new players, he just never got comfortable enough to run their offense, and the Oline was plagued with injuries which didnt help: Foles will get signed to a new team he does have the 6-5 size and big arm to be a good QB, he just needs to have the offense that fits his strengths and a decent Oline so he has time in the pocket something he didnt have last year: Heres a short summary of his problems last season:

From KMOX:

Inconsistent Offense
    Whether it has been the quarterback, receivers, or just the play calls the Rams have had problems when it comes to their offense. The calls just seem bland on the field and the targets from Nick Foles have either been short or over the receiver’s heads. That doesn’t take the blame away from the players who have dropped passes or missed their routes. Overall, the offense has looked inconsistent and sloppy in games that the team should have been on top of, way on top of. This is for sure an area that the Rams will not be a playoff team no matter what season until these areas are cleaned up.

Injuries
    Injuries have piled up for the Rams this season, especially on the Offensive-Line, which could attribute to struggles over the past few weeks. Four of your starting O-Line has not been consistent all season and two are done for the year.

12. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    This subject is just over-the-top ludicrous. The guy stinks.

Well, he was plenty comfortable his second season in Chip Kelly's system and sucked eggs. Finished with the 27th-best passer rating, one of the only starting qb's in the entire league to complete less than 60% of his passes (while primarily throwing screens and slants), and went from 27/2 in td's/int's to 13/10.

If you want to dissect the reason he sucked in StL, it might be easier to understand why he was good for only one year (in four seasons) in Philly. Chip Kelly's innovative offense put up enormous numbers . . . until the league caught up. It exposed Foles for being the mediocre qb he is. He's a journeyman qb. Nothing more, nothing less. And there are better backups available. Including the guy at number two on our depth chart now (and he's not even very good). But that's just my opinion, obviously.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  13. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    In no way did I suggest we sign him because I'm satisfied with, and confident that L Jones will be a solid backup to Ben this year. I said some team will sign him, but if he wants a starting job I don't see him getting a start anytime soon, he is only going to get signed as a backup so he better tone down his expectations.....

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It would be a frivolous signinng, but I think he would most definitely come in and be the #2. I have a feeling Grad's shoulder is jacked, and Landry just isn't consistent.

Foles has struggled, but he has also has been on AWFUL teams. When healthy and solid coaching and decent team around him, I think he is better than Landry.

15. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    Yeah, I was directing my comments towards the outside analysis (KMOX?) you provided than what you had written.

16. EddieBurro

Jan 22, 2016
    I agree Landry is not the answer. Still, it makes no sense to sign Foles (as you indicated by calling it a "frivolous signing.")

To replace Landry with Foles would be the equivalent of moving the change in your left front pocket to your right front pocket and convincing yourself you now have more money.

17. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Foles is exactly the kind of guy you sign if your are the Patriots or maybe the Broncos. Here is a guy who is only 27 and you could get a few years out of him while you wait for your next generational type starter to be ready. He is big and mobile, but has struggled recently for sure. The only way it makes sense for us to sign him is if we believe he has accepted the fact that his career has now made him a backup. Until he agrees to that he wouldn't be a fit here. He is perfect for a team like the Pats who may want him to learn their system for a year before being a bridge the gap guy.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Wasn't Foles in Napoleon Dynamite?

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Oh I forgot to ad "cares" after Who.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Who Dat?
    Who Dat?

21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I acually would've loved him here to groom behind Ben as I saw some similarities... Unfortunately he's blue light hot garbage now that had a taste and thinks he's beyond grooming. It could have been a great plan a few years ago. Anyhow, wish him the best. I think the Eagles screwed up dropping him.

• Like Like x 1
  22. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Thought Denver would be the one calling, but Kubiak said he will pass. Steelers will stick with the status quo (Grad and L Jones) unless an injury occurs imo.

Maybe Cleveland??? That carousel will keep spinning.

23. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    That's the thing with all those stupid gimmick systems like Chip's. The NFL is a man's world and you've got hardcore football students all over the place that are bound to figure out these fly by night systems. Before Chip's system everyone was running the "Wild Cat" which always blew my mind that people acted like a direct snap was revolutionary. I mean I'm sure it was about 50 years ago but basically that system was just the option. Which reminds me people also thought RG3 could be good because he might be able to pull off the option in the NFL but how did that work out? The dude is in Cleveland. Nuff said. Foles was lucky to be the product of a gimmick but once coordinators got him on film they had all they needed on the guy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Another "sign this guy" thread.
    Yawn!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I know, right? They want to reinvent the wheel :rolleyes:

The wild cat never really caught on though, did it? I can really only remember Miami implementing it to any degree.

But you're right, those QB's don't last. Tomlin once said when asked about the read options chances and he said, depends how much coaches want to see their QB's get killed. Something to that affect.