1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sideline communication

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    To have a break from all the drama, I have a question about how plays get sent in from the sideline.

Let's say the previous play was a five wide formation and gets a first down. The OC decides a run with 2 tight ends should be the next play. He can radio that play to the QB, but how do all the players know what the play will be? Some of the players from the previous play need to find out they need to leave the field, and some of the players on the sideline need to get on the field, and then, maybe the head coach contradicts the OC and wants a different play called. All this has to happen pretty quickly, as the play clock is running down, and the QB's radio will be cut off. How does all that communication happen and get organized? Same thing for the defense, switching from zone to man to cover 2.

I assume that is also what they practice during the week. Seems really complicated.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    In those instances, when the QB receives the call, he himself has to make the adjustments. Normally this is done with some codewords; repeated often to everyone with the formation already set. Once those pre snap adjustments are made, it is the QBs job to scan the field for any major changes to the defense. Should he see anything suspicious beyond that though, he only has two options;

1.) Throw it to the hot read of that WR during the play should it be a blitz with no Running Back help.

Or

2.) Check it down to the RB should he be available with the blitz.

Now, bear in mind that neither of these two key points of emphasis mean much without execution. It is not that neither of these two points are inefficient. The fact of the matter is that the players themselves must carry out the playcall; to the basics and fudementals of the game no less.

Why do I keep mentioning blitz you may ask?! Seems to me Mason is getting blitzed into oblivion on Third Down quite often. Pressuring any young QB on Third Down is an established tactic. Tried by all but still true to the objective.

• Like Like x 2
  3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Mason will continue to get blitzed until he can pick it up. Ben and Brady laugh at blitzes

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Just to add to AQLs response:

The personnel are is indicated to the team from the sidelines as soon as the last play ends; the play is given to the QB via the radio.

If there’s a back up or young player in, sometimes the QB needs to check they know the routes and teach them on the spot.

I’ll take the chance to recommend Pat Kirwan’s Take Your Eye Off The Ball. I picked it up after @shaner82 recommended it on here a few years back, and it’s a really interesting insight into how much goes on in those 30 odd seconds between plays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    In New England, they just leave the radio on...….

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Both team's radios.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Don't they use hand signals, or cue cards with symbols or colors on them to indicate the package? And everyone knows which packages that they're a part of.

8. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Most everyone, I think Buggs had to be reminded.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

In college, those cue cards are quite prevalent as the game is much slower. By the time those players enter the league, no chance. Too many other Pre Snap reads both the Offensive Center and QB have to make. Any other adjustments that need to be made are done by the QB and further relayed from the Offensive Center to the entire line for line checks.

10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I was speaking more to a personnel standpoint. Is the QB then, or sideline screaming out the personnel package?

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh.. package plays you mean?! Those would be done over the radio via the OC to the QB. Personnel packages are difficult to yell out due to the fast paced nature of the game.

Moreover, you want to keep your opponent guessing. Even giving him subtle clues is more than enough to disrupt and negate the play overall. Players like Bobby Wagner can do far worse even with limited info.

12. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess it is more getting the packages on the field, and the previous package off the field, that I find so fascinating. That has to take lots of communication, and it happens in a small time window. Same on defense. I wonder if that is part of the reason the defense often seems confused.

13. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Such a great book. I learned a lot from it. I recommend it to true fans of football. Even fairweather fans may enjoy it, but true fans of the game will enjoy it for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Please contact the New England Patriots to find out how we do it.

15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I believe players are part of packages that are determined by the plays that are run similar to punts. I think we script out the first 10 or so plays each game and players know which plays they will be in on. In other situations when players come on the field from the sidelines players already on the field most likely know who they rotate with and come out. If all else fails, the players who are on the field will look to their designated coach to see if they are getting waved to come off or to keep on the field. Sometimes we don't do this very well however they do it.

16. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I’d guess some personnel packages are more/less common than others, so (generally speaking) some players know they’re staying on the field and others expect to come right off.