1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we tag Bell? Make your case!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 20, 2018.

1. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Honestly you have to tag Bell at this point. Defense isn't going to be fixed in one off season so your best chance at a championship rests with the offense, and Bell is a huge piece of it. If Ben retired it wouldn't matter, but with him returning you have to tag Bell. If they can't get him to pull his head out of his rear contact wise after this year then send him packing.

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I think if you add two or three pieces to the defense that being a safety and a OLB/ILB you will see a significant difference in the defense.
    Even with Bell and the talent on offense it still wasn’t enough because of the defense. We have to close the gap talent and performance wise between the two.
    It is too much of a huge disparity that the offense will have to score 35 to 40 points a game to compensate for our defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    There are some teams that have a boatload of cap space. The Steelers are not one of them. Long term deal? Where's the money coming from? I like the idea that was posed by Diamond a Non- Exclusive tag.

A non-exclusive franchise player may negotiate with other NFL teams, but if the player signs an offer sheet from another team, the original team has a right to match the terms of that offer, or if it does not match the offer and thus loses the player, is entitled to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation.

He is a special talent with some screws lose upstairs. We have enough weapons and with Connor and Ridley possibly coming back and drafting a running back although defense comes first I feel we will be alright.

Don't want to lose him but i'm afraid the straight franchise tag might make him sit out and pout.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Make my case? Tag him

1) last year he was reportedly looking for 15m/year..... that number will likely go up in his head.
    2) 1st in RB touches, 3rd in yards, 3rd in TD’s, average 4.0
    3) 10th in receptions..... average catch way way down the list.... less than Kamara, a rookie.... less than duke Johnson. Only 2 TD’s.

Yes bell is valuable to us.... but we are at fault for over using him.

I don’t think we’ll have any choice but to tag him, he’ll want over 15m a year for a long term deal.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    That is a great idea as it’s least gives us several good options and is up to us what we do with those options.Lets see what other teams think his value is.If some team offers him more than 14 million,which probably will happen because they may not have the cap problem we have,we get two first round picks!Sign him to the other cap and he’s definitely out of here after the year and we get nothing close to that!

• Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Remember, a Bell in the hand is worth two firsts in the bush.

Or something like that.

7. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    There gonna tag him. There is no way they would let him walk to ravens or imagine him with brady. But then again I am not to sure this teamis gonna do the right thing. We could have used harrison against jags

8. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Barely 4.0 YPC.
    Longest run from scrimmage about 27 yards (near the worst in the league for starting RBs).
    Lacks breakaway speed.
    Teams have caught up with his "patient" running style.
    One failed (or missed) pot test from a year long suspension.
    The most toxic attitude on the team.
    Late or absent for important walk-thrus.
    Threatens to sit out or retire if he's franchised again TWO DAYS BEFORE A HUGE GAME!
    Agent accepts, then Bell turns down a contract that would make him the highest paid RB in the league (and history) by 33%.
    Raps that he has to have his 17 mil making the team look foolish.

Tell me again why we should keep him on the team? Oh yeah, he can catch a football, I forgot.

Figure out the most reasonable and cost effective way to part company with him, try to obtain something of value if you can, and send his butt packing! The non-exclusive franchise tag may be a decent option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I thought I read 18 yards was his longest run, either way it's still bad.

10. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    No brainer. Tag him. You can't pay out the wazoo for a guy you've never been to a SB with, much less won a SB with, who continues to show tons of immaturity. With Shazier not likely to return it's even more necessary to spend wisely if not scrap the whole thing. You can't be hijacked by a position that tends to be a dime a dozen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Rapaport is reporting that the Steelers won’t talk long term deal with Bell until he signs the franchise tender. So we are about to see if Bell will stick to his words or crumble.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Yeah bell did a little sand bagging this season in my opinion, he wasnt so great he's worth 70M with a big guarantee, with out any doubt we must non exclusive tag him and let him and his agent find that huge pot of gold they are looking for........

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think u can trade a player who isnt under contract can u?

14. Rhys Lightning 63

Rhys Lightning 63 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Spend every single day with him trying to sort out something long term, if he doesn't sign by draft day, see what Cleveland will give us for him

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    No you cant thats why they have to tag him....

16. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    The only problem is this, are the Steelers willing to spend the money? Pretty much anyone is an upgrade at safety but we need more than just an upgrade as Mitchell is about as bad as it gets. Pass rushers, safeties, and corners cost money. Worse is that bringing them in doesn't always mean they will be great. Mitchell was a welcome addition after a solid year in Carolina and he came here and tanked. I just don't see the front office putting up the money to get the guys we would need to get to vastly improve this team. At least with Bell we know what we have, good and bad.

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We cant trade him

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Save the money and spend on defensive free agents. The window will be closing in a year or two.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Perfect.

Last year they played nice and tried to negotiate. Then he held out until after camp and started slow.

This time, sign the tag or we don’t talk. Enough of his :bscow::poopy:. The Steelers have nothing to loose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Totally agree............ Get a top safety and a top middle linebacker. Enough is a enough. You have not drafted a good sfatey or cb since Troy. We still have a shot at a dominant 3 year run.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yep defense wins championships, not some Prima Donna RB who wants 17 million a year :facepalm:. New England manages to win with a rotation of RBs, no superstars.

22. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I like this cause either way we win. I don't want to see Bell go especially with Ben coming back, however we are in cap hell.

What is real funny I read this whole thread and not one mention about Connor. I didn't like the pick last year due to the fact that this past draft was loaded with RB's can can run and catch. Kamara, Hunt, Cohen, Gallman, Mack, McGuire, Mixon, Williams, Foreman, Jones, Perine and Clement all could have been groomed as a Bell replacement knowing we tagged him last year.

Another thing is we don't want to pay Bell 14 mil but yet we have Tuitt sitting here with a 13.6 cap hit. I really think we can make it all happen I hope we get Bell back we are too good with him and to close to the prize to have to start over there. jmo

23. ST-ILL-ERS FAN

ST-ILL-ERS FAN Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Connor gets hurt everytime he touches the ball. I think most of us know where his career is headed. He was drafted too early and its likely another wasted pick

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Dont remember where I stood on Kamara coming out of college but damn, wish we took him.

25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I wasn't high on him but there were some here that were.....man wow! Of course I was on the Hunt and McGuire bandwagon. :smiley1: