1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we tag Bell? Make your case!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Jan 20, 2018.

1. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I say No! 14.5 mil is way Too much for a RB especially when you consider our defense needs help. Our Cap situation isn't good good and even without Bell we'll need manipulate the books big time !!

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Yes, because we still have Ben. Unless of course they can work out a long term deal.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I would send him to the draft floor with a big "I am Trade Bait" sign on the front of his jersey and a "Kick Me" sign on the back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I read they were going to tag him again. NFL network

5. jnico6

jnico6 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I would love if they could somehow work out a 3 year deal. But I know that won’t happen so Tag him one more time.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Im inclined to say no because Im so sick of his attitude but hes much more then just a RB.

Tag him and draft a dynamic RB. If he holds out/retires under the tag, we have his replacement. If he plays under the tag, we have his replacement.

It will definitely be Bells last season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    IMO. Bell has outperformed our ability to afford him.

Secondly, Bell with his antics has or may become a headache that is not worth the money.

Lastly, we need to take that money and build up the defense that needs to be close to performance with the offense. It is so one-sided i would never put our defense on the field first. Even the coach did not think they would hold Jags from moving downfield if they kicked it off and chose to do an on-sidekick that they have not executed in 8 years.

IMO, I would draft a running back, sign a free agent and run the position by committee. That being said, I would not franchise him and let him walk out the door.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This time I would use the other tag where teams can try to sign him. If he gets a contract offer, it very well may be below 14 mil. Then we can decide if we want to match. If we don’t, we get 2 first round choices. No loose situation.

If we do not tag him, we get nothing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Steelers2018

Steelers2018 Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Yup it’s not even a question. He’s getting tagged regardless. Unless we get a long term deal done before hand

10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like this, we will find another RB. Deal him so fast his head would spin. Then he can be late

all he wants.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think you have to tag him, but I don't really want to.

I say draft his replacement this year.

12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Can you imagine if nobody offers him anything close to what he thinks he’s worth? Oh boy, talk about bad attitude. It would be funny if it goes down that way. Maybe it would humble him some if that’s possible.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can't be traded if he doesn't sign his franchise tag, which will probably be like last season not until training camp is over.

14. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Could they trade him right now though? Technically he's still under contract, so could they trade him before the draft?

Personally, I don't think he's worth using up THAT much space for. He's talented as hell, no arguing that, but signing him to a 17+ million contract would be crippling to this team in terms of the cap. Think of the caliber of player you could get spending 10 on one and 7 on another.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can't be traded now, I'm sure he would have to sign his next franchise tag first.

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    We blew it, when we didn't sign him to a long term deal two years ago. Now, he has us by the balls. He has proven us to be wrong. He is worth his weight in gold and this past season guaranteed it. Pay him or trade him. Either way , youre screwed. If you pay long term contract ...you blow the cap. If you try to tag him...and he holds out or trade him ... you're giving up the best in the business for peanuts

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bell to me is one of the best running backs in the passing game, however this could have the same results with a receiver (slot type) in his place.

As far as running why would you tag him at 14 + million for a back that his longest run this year was 18 yards. The Steelers also don't trust him on runs on 3 and 1 or short yardage of any type. His style is good on some runs but horrible on short yardage situations and you will never see him break one because of his lack of speed.

Couple that with his attitude, some past injuries, suspensions etc, he could be replaced with a better runner and a receiver or 3rd down type back could pick up the slack in the passing game.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Not sure I agree. Yeah, Bell was a problem, as were other guys. These guys were apparently allowed to do whatever they wanted. Harrison snored loudly in meetings and didn't get cut until late in the season. Brown recorded Tomlin talking in the dressing room. Bell shows up late. Mitchell stands outside the opponents dressing room and talks ****.

Guys like that are going to be problems in an environment with no structure or discipline. Tomlin needs to crack down on them. Bench them, suspend them, etc. You better believe Belichek would bench Bell for showing up late and he'd likely bench him for multiple weeks

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    This.

21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You can't go from being a laid back coach to a disciplinarian. Once the genie's out of the bottle...

22. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yep. Seems like it`s automatic, no brainer move for management.

23. stompin69

stompin69 Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Yes, in fact I say sign him up for 2 to 3 years! Negative press could be on the airwaves for anyone in that locker room, Deebo comes to mind. Bell has plenty of years in front of him, and is there for Ben to block and as an outlet, besides running. The money can be figured out, these are billionaires paying millionaires. We draft better than most, but Bell is too special to let go this early in his career ( I am sure that this is why he wants paid now, before his RB career ends in cleveland or something, or the next hit in the knee)

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You can't just let him go and walk away empty handed. So yes you have to tag him. But I would begin shopping him right now. As long as we get a 1 this year and an additional pick next year I would trade him. If we could somehow end up with Barkley that might actually be an upgrade. Very similar player accept Saquon has break away speed an good character.

25. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Either pay the man or let him go. Tag him and we have potential internal issues due to feelings of disrespect. When that happens, there will be a major distraction and folks will blast him. But, can you blame him? This is a business.

Can't make a deal, let it go.