1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we offersheet Malcolm Butler?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RPO IZSB, Mar 10, 2017.

1. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    With the Patriots signing Gilmore, it sure looks like the intend to ride Butler under the RFA Tender.

Can they afford to pay 2 corners top dollar?

Would they take the 30th overall pick in compensation for the offersheet?

All the top UFA corners are gone...

Butler's a legit top 10-15 corner.

2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No im not giving up a first for him with Flowers and Cooper still out there. If you don't land one of them maybe but to me the price is way too steep.

3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Just no. This draft is loaded at corner. And every one of those teams that signs a big name corner is just pushing someone better down to our second or third round pick. I'm not giving up a first, period.

4. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd offer sheet for him. Sorry wrong pronunciation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm not awake yet. I had to go back and read this a second time until the light lit up. :smiley1:

6. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    30th pick maybe produces a good starting corner in 2-3 years... maybe

Butler is a very good starting corner right now

Our window is RIGHT NOW

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    It does appear the front office is not thinking like most of us about the window is RIGHT NOW. Most teams that had weak secondaries made moves in free agency. i think in free agency we need to get at least one either a pass rushing OLB or a corner and other in the draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    Given the reports of their interest/pursuit of Logan Ryan, Dre Kirkpatrick, etc... they clearly are thinking that way.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Flowers scares me, like several articles have stated, he has had a few concussions which has kept him out of games. It has to be factored in imo. I'd be more on board with Cooper.

As to Butler, how does the RFA status translate to him being under contract for us. Is it a one year deal? I don't follow the financials as much as I should. So we give up a first rounder for one year? That seems pretty steep. If they could agree on an extension beforehand then maybe that's an option to explore.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    cooper and harmon. i wonder what these two would cost us? :cool:

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Can't stand them A holes but they are smart.....they let Ryan go they improve by signing Gilmore they ride with Butler for one more year ...vastly improve their secondary for another run. If their O starts to slow down they are improving their D....sigh.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh yeah the answer to the question....NO ....I ain't giving them ****...I could just see whoever they take with our pick becomes another Marsha and then as part of their ever evolving evil plan they will get Butler back for $1.00 next season ....

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Its believed that it would take about 11 million for NE not to match the offer. I dont think he's worth it and Im leery picking up players from NE because no other coach gets the most out of them like BB does.

Love this draft and would rather go that route and save the money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    harmon re-signed with NE. i agree BF this draft is deep at corner. very young though if this is a win now attitude. :cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I understand but I dot think Butler is where you spend the money. Id rather spend it on a pass rusher. Thats needed more to beat the Pats.

They got pretty far last year and the rooks will be that much better this year.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Seems New England is also planning for life after Tom Brady should they elect to trade away Garrapolo and have a team exceed their price for Butler in exchange for a first round pick.

That being said.. Tom is not retiring in the upcoming season... but one can hear the whispers of father time getting more audible by the day.

In any case.. I would like to entertain the idea... but obtaining a way to get to the quarterback is our top priority. Given the fact that the free agent market is not very good from a pass rusher standpoint in addition to the Steelers valuing long term success over the short term, I do not think this will come to pass.

While the NFL Draft is, for all purposes, a crapshoot, still having a first round pick over none is a better propsect.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

The Draft may be a crapshoot but a first rounder at least increases your chances of getting a solid player. Someone like T.J. Watt would help very much so.

19. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    I think Cooper would be a great addition. He'd push Cockrell for the outside starting job immediately. But he doesn't solve our slot problems.

Brandon Flowers is done.... that would be a bad signing at anything more than a "shot to make the roster" 1 year, near minimum deal.

20. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    As a tendered RFA, we can offer Butler the same type of contract we'd offer him as a free agent. The only difference is that Pats would have the right to match the offer, or let him go... in which case they'd get our 1st rounder as compensation.

21. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015

We'd be signing Butler to a long term deal to get him... so no, they wouldn't get Butler back.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree about flowers. what do we do with cockrell if cooper would unseat him? if ross tackled better and supported the run better we could maybe use him elsewhere but that is not his strong point. never has been, though he got a little stronger this past off season.

the draft has some good slot corners and gay is still here. maybe not the ideal plan but we do have a few udfa futures guys sitting here with some good speed. if we seal up the outsides we could work on the slot. it's a more specialized role we will have to address for sure. :cool:

23. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Understood....but do you think we could/would afford what he will be looking for? There is some big money being thrown around for these CBs....Logan Ryan got 10 ....I'm sure Butler will be looking for at least that...
    You know how we do ....we don't believe in spending in the secondary.

24. RPO IZSB

Dec 30, 2015
    i would go 5 / 55, 11 million per year...
    will the Steelers do that? No.

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    what would cooper demand? :cool: