1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we give Randy Moss a look?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Feb 18, 2012.

1. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think he throws a bad deep ball snack but I don't think he throws the best deep ball either. It's just not as bad as many like to believe. Every time a stat comes along that debunks a belief, the old cliche "stats are misleading" gets thrown around. Sometimes that's true but I don't believe you set a franchise record by throwing an awful deep ball. I know the game is different now but a HOF QB and 2 HOF WR's didn't hook up for as many 40+yds TD's as Ben and Wallace have.

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    By having Mike Wallace, and by doing it 5 times a game. The issue for me is that if you take the plays where Wallace is wide open deep and Ben is protected (and there are a lot of those), there are more horrible throws that don't give Wallace a chance than there are acceptable throws that he can adjust to. It's almost like a routine. Wallace burns everybody, Ben throws it behind him and the announcers talk about the CB's amazing closing speed. Then the fans on this board say Wallace isn't good enough. Or Ben might just overthrow him.

4. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

I think Ben throws the deep ball very poorly.
    I think Ben just waits to long for the WR to come open instead of him throwing the ball anticipating the WR coming open. With Wallace's speed and his ability to out run Bens arm it doesnt work well.

In motorcycle terms, the guy is out running his headlight

5. steelerdon

steelerdon Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    NO WAY,he is a bum and a quitter

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    On the flip side though, how many does Wallace drop? My problem with Wallace is it seems that if the ball doesn't drop perfectly into his hands he doesn't catch it. I think Wallace definitely has room for improvement but yes, Ben does miss him completely several times a game.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    All of our young receivers have, to an extent, jumped the gun with their talent. Nobody expected Brown to have the impact he did. Even Wallace stepped up after Holmes left. The danger is - and I think this has happened to an extent with Wallace - that the early successes get in the way of developing as an all-round receiver.