1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we be concerned: Big Ben Edition

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    God dammit

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Run game is what it is imo, Conner is a good back, they don’t trust Snell and McFarland is not ready for the carries, albeit I am hopeful he can have a bigger role down the stretch.

I’m not sure they can wake up, at least not to the point where they can take over games. Where do you see the spark coming from?

3. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    upload_2020-11-5_20-42-56.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  4. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    sorry to disagree but seeing Rudolph play the superbowl is a nightmare to be sure. There is no way Rudolph ever becomes a starting QB in the NFL short of catastrophic injury to a better QB. Just my opinion though

6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason isn't that good but he is good enough to win games with this year's team. He started out decently last year until he got his clock cleaned. I agree that he won't be a starter in the NFL. Sitting behind Ben for 3 years will be his albatross.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree, it is better to overthrow than to underthrow. Quite honestly, I think he has always had a history of overthrowing on deep passes unless they were cutting across the middle. (Not necessarily the same as a true deep ball.) The last player he typically underthrew the deep ball was Mike Wallace.

8. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is optimistic, but then again it would have more weapons available this year than what he had available last year. I think 2019 was a year we had too many new weapons that we did not have a chance to get any of them in sync. Even Ben could not connect with them and get them in sync against the Patriots last year. Yes, you can say he had the elbow injury which only became fully apparent in game 2 against Seattle. Mason came in that game and darn near pulled it out. As well as he had us in the game against the 49ers a week later. He did much better than many gave him credit. He kept us competitive against the Ravens at home, had he not gotten knocked out and won that game? Everyone would have been singing a different tune. Yes, we are all aware of Mason's Cleveland performance where he threw 4 Ints. Ben himself has had a few 5 interception games and everyone started questioning if his heart just wasn't in it. Interceptions are a funny thing. If a QB threads a ball between 5 defenders to the WR, everyone boasts about how he threw that ball where only his player could get it. If it is intercepted, all you hear is a QB of his caliber should have known better than to throw that ball. I know, I have digressed and this is about "should we be concerned about Ben."

• Like Like x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well Ben was able to throw it and get 3 PI called on Baltimore.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So basically the way he became a starter last year. I agree. We can and should try to do better for a #2.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I know PFF is not everyone’s cup of tea but thought some people might be interested in this. They have him as the no 16 QB in the league right now

12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Those few things are good points. I didn't think that but I can see it.

13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Oh what a great laugh his post gave me and then your reply kicked my ass!! I saw what you saw in the post. Rudolph in SB = nightmare. I think what was probably meant was that Mason absolutely would win some games if he had to take over. Our D is strong enough for a few wins.

Mason taking over for Ben would not produce the same result we saw happen when Foles took over for Wentz. One of the best injuries ever. My eagle friends like to say that.

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelerJJ.

You hit the key word on the head; "patient". That is it. The end result is the same, a score. Hopefully a TD. In the end the longer more sustained drives, that do result in points, helps the Defense get rest. That is extremely valuable in its own context. Now of course a mixture of both long and short drives (time-wise) is the most desirable. It makes for a more "complete" attack per se and has the defenses not knowing what is coming next.

For now though, the recipe seems to be successful for the most part and yes at some point we are going to have to air it out intermittingly to again keep opposing teams trying to figure things out. As I have stated, Ben is getting "re-calibrated" to a number of things here and patience is key. The primary issue is his elbow. This was a very serious injury and has to still be treated as such. Ben knows way better than anyone else the status of his arm and what he can do. He must continue to dictate this moving forward. There is no good to come from "pushing" something (long ball) because it has not been seen too much, yet (smile). As we know he has a lot of say in the Offense and play-calling. He is a well-seasoned Veteran. The main objective is to get points, desirably Touchdowns. The Offense is doing that with the current game plan and doing it well.

I believe the long-ball is coming soon enough. As I have stated (like a kid in the candy shop), this Offense is "stacked". So many weapons. Too many IMO that opposing teams cannot cover them all. This is the team that can (and is) get that thirty points per game thing to happen that was talked about so much with Bell and Brown but did not materialize enough. This team has way more weapons, better attitude (selfless) and understands the concept of team. They realize Ben is the epitome of a true leader and the Offense, and team as a whole, respects and trusts his decision making. Good for them which means good for us fans.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

16. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Can you dance? Cause if you can't dance then your no friend of mine. We can dance!

17. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Well luckily the Steelers dont need to be the best team or have the best QB play. They just need to win games instead of lose them.