1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Ward announce retirement as motivation?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I recall in the run up to the 2006 Superbowl, there was an emotional push to win one for Bettis, and that galvanized and focused the team. It gave them a little extra to play for. I think the same would be true for Ward, if he would announce this is his last time. The players have high respect for him, and I think might put out extra effort to have him go out on a high note. His diminished role is much like Bettis' was. And if the Steelers would win the Superbowl, I am pretty sure he would retire. I hate to see him go, but what would be better.

And, of course, he could always announce his retirement, and then pull a Favre and unretire.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Let's not try to model Farve......

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    No, I don't think it would really help. What I think would help more is if everyone gets healthy and stays healthy.

I don't think Bettis officially announced anything until the the day of the Superbowl either....

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes he should and then they should make him asst wr coach.But I don't think this is our year to go to the big dance.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    different position
    1 bettis was at a very least try and he never won a sb before
    (ward already has 2)
    2 i don'think ward is considered at the same level of bettis in the lockeroom (i mean all the loockroom)
    3 the bus stop in detroit was swomething thatpeople were screaming from day one of the season
    4 remember that we were waiting 25 years to win so the connection was too big too fail

6. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

I'm not so confident that this is our year either. I hope (and pray) that I am wrong and will gladly eat the crow if I am wrong. At my age, I have developed a taste for crow (mushrooms and onions make a huge difference). This isn't the same group of guys to rally around Ward as were the group that rallied around Bettis and Ward is not the same player Bettis was. I'm not taking anything away from either team or either player just stating what I see. I mean how many times did they use, "Win one for the Gipper"?

7. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    This assumes Hines is retiring.

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  9. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    No! They shouldn't need this for motivation. Going to the Super Bowl SHOULD be motivation enough! But I don't think it is! :yeehaw:

10. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't think we have what it takes to go all the way this year either.I hope I'm wrong also?One game at a time.We need to get past Denver first!!

11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ward is a bit like Brett Favre. He'll never announce his retirement, he still thinks he can play, start, help a contending team. That his skills have diminished are lost to him (and to a lot of his fans). Hines will be the last one to know that it's time to retire.

12. cutrale

cutrale Member

Oct 28, 2011
    No....not until he is ready.

13. mstng1863

mstng1863 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As much as I do not like Ray "The Butcher of Baltimore" Lewis, he announced before this season that this would be his last if they won the Super Bowl so he could go out on top and spend more time watching his kids play football. (Isn't that sweet?) Therefore, I do not want Hines to do this now or ever! Plus, everyone knows that Ray Lewis was just trying to be like his hero, Jerome Bettis.

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think Hines has any intentions on retiring this year, I think
    his contract runs thru to next year and he plans on fulfilling it. I hope
    he will work with the Steelers so they can keep him next year and he will retire a Steeler!

15. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Article on Steelers web page states that Hines says he has two more years on his contract, doesn't want to play for any other team and will take it year by year. I don't see him retiring, unless he does it the way the Bus did it.

16. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    I love Hines, but his time has come. There may never be another wide receiver like him again. He was a football player first, teammate second, wide reciever third. I hope he does retire this year and end on a high note, whether it be in the Super Bowl or just by reaching his milestones ( 1000 recptions, 12000 yds ). He was fantastic and that smile was awesome. His body just cant take it anymore, we all expereince this. He will always be one of my favorite players simply because of the way he played the game. He cant play that way anymore, the only way he knows how, and I dont want to see him hurt or worse, hurt his image by being a role player in this offense. he is HOF'er in my opinion and I respect what he has brought to this team , this city and the league.

17. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    i think right now as far as Hines is concerned there are two situations in which he might retire: Either they win the Super Bowl OR his contract is up.
    Sure, the FO/coaches might decide that Hines isn't needed anymore, but I bet Hines would have zero issues with playing for a bare minimum / limited snaps (kinda like the Bus did in his last year) just to stay part of the team.