1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Tua just retire?

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by Arch Stanton, Sep 13, 2024 at 3:24 PM.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    This is Tua's 3rd career concussion, the guys head seems to be made of glass. Pretty dumb leading in with his head, so he pretty much caused that one on himself, but you have to be really concerned about his long-term health at this point

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Third official, the injury they stated as 'back' and put him back into games is what started the entire investigation, and made independent Dr's to evaluate on the sidelines. I posted this in the game thread, but really only he can decide (if he is cleared). At 25 he should have a long life ahead, if he continues playing the quality and length of his life may have severe ramifications. It's not like he just get 'dinged', his body reactions are alarming. The league and team really have few options if he is cleared, just hope he sees past the contract, glory, and even love of the game, needs to see the next 40 plus years and understand there is much more than football.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    I think it's a tragedy in the making if he keeps playing, but I guess it's up to Tua and the team physician to determine if he can (or should) continue playing football. Personally, I'd retire. The guy is already set for life financially, so why risk your health and possibly your life over a game?

4. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    They risk their health and life for doing something they love to do and something that is all they have done most of their lives.
    Its very unfortunate . The guy really needs to consider retiring. Also, the damage may already have been done, which later on in life it will present itself.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  6. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    Too much life to not retire....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    He has earned 75 million dollars to this point. I still see Mike Webster at the end of his life. No amount of money is worth that

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I've had several concussions in my life...a few that were severe. If I was a young quarterback playing for a chance at a legacy and generational wealth, there's no way I'd retire unless I couldn't play anymore or no one would sign me.

9. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    So having CTE would mean nothing to you? Did you see what happened to Mike Webster?? I guess it speaks to priorities and what you value. Sad though

10. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    The point was made that that collision was between the 2 most fragile guys in the NFL.

It was only a joke.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Commenting on my values is a bit much. Hundreds of players cheated concussion tests so they wouldn't be sidelined by their concussion symptoms. Peyton Manning admitted to doing poorly on the baseline tests so he wouldn't fail when he had a concussion. I guess being a top competitor is sad. These kids won the lottery and very few of them walk away voluntarily.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I believe so. Money isn't everything.

13. Arch Stanton

Oct 10, 2022
    And Junior Seau

14. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I was speaking on the decision you said you would make in the same situation as Tua. You said you would trade the destruction of your brain for the chance at wealth. That is the only value I am talking about. I am hoping he makes the right decision

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Concussions are bad. Multiple concussions are worse. Football players get multiple concussions. How much is too much? That is an individual thing and can't exactly be measured. Drs can give an estimated recovery from surgery time because that is physical. Concussions are not just physical but also neurological, so no way to estimate a recovery time. It's really up to the players to be honest about how they are doing. Also, the more honest people are about their concussions, the more actual information we glean about concussions, the better we can treat concussions. When players cheat the system, they are possibly doing harm for a future concussion patient.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I've never been an elite athlete making that kind of dough so it's hard to put myself in his shoes. That said, I've had decent jobs and been able to support my family, buy all the things we needed and most of what we wanted, put kids through college, walk my daughter down the aisle, see them become adults and contributing members of society, so on and so forth. We all make our decisions based on what is important to us individually. Tua has a tough decision and will likely be criticized either way. I hope the young man does what's best for him and is able to enjoy the life he wants.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Born2Steel

Jul 7, 2023
    Chris Borland retired in his prime out of concern related to concussions and brain injury. As far as has been reported, he had no prior issues with concussions. Every player has to make their own decisions for what's best for them.