1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Tomlin eliminate the Veteran's Day Off?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Remahlehs, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    We speak often about the lack of focus of the Steelers on Sunday. Could that be caused by the lack of focus starting all the way back on Wednesday? I can't speak for an NFL locker room, but my attention and desire to work hard is definitely affected when team leaders aren't around and engaged. Without the whole team practicing, it's a partially wasted day. The Steelers are giving other professional teams a leg up by not taking advantage of all the available time to practice.

2. IZONUFOTO

IZONUFOTO Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I don't mind Vet day off.. I like that it gives extra reps to the depth..especially players like Mason Rudolph

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think our quarterback should practice every day just to stay engaged.

I’m fine with veteran days for the trench guys. Give their bodies a chance to recover.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    How do other teams approach this subject? Is it even a subject for them?

The way I see it is - this is a 16-week war. You should give people time off sparingly. Utilize your personnel properly so that you can afford to have people take a day off here or there. Simply blanketing it as "veteran's day off" is asking for problems.

5. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If it keeps the players healthy I’m for it

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Vet days off are common around the league, though it depends on the coach what counts as deserving one.

I guess it’s an easier way of explaining why an uninjured player isn’t practicing, though I agree with you that they could be more specific than using a blanket term.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Quarterback is the leader of the team. Ben should be at every practice. Even if it’s just to lend support to the supporting cast. Same with the rest of the vets. I’m blown away this is even a question. It’s no wonder it takes a quarter season to get rolling.

8. Nj43

Nj43 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    So when Ben gets the “ vet day off” he’s not even in the facility? Or he just isn’t dressed and w the team on field?

9. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought I remembered reading he kept that cause cowher done it. I may be wrong

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He’s with his family lol

11. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Well, depending on who you listen to - Ben was at that Wed practice, and made the "suggestion" to AB about his route running.

And then he smacked AB over the head with a steel bleacher, or something like that. I don't know, haven't heard the latest iteration.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Get rid of Veterans Day off!

Cancel Ben’s radio show!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    According to Bob Labriola, Ben only sits out the physical practice. He is there for walk throughs and other meetings about the plan that week.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I just don't think it should be a routine. Use it if needed. A must win game like last week....umm no.
    Short week like a Thu. after a Sunday it may be needed. 10 days in between byes when you have extra time to practice you can throw one in. When the team has lost 3 in a row and is on a slide. That's gonna be a NO for me dog.As soon as the season starts and after playing no PS games you are taking vet days off that is almost criminal. I just don't see how they don't realize that not playing in the PS is a big mistake that is costing this team seedings and playoff berths....

• Like Like x 1
  15. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Cancelling his show might actually be the better option.