1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Should Tomlin bench Bell and Blount?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Aug 21, 2014.

Should Tomlin bench Bell and Blount?

Poll closed Sep 4, 2014.
  1. YES: BELL 1 GAME ONLY

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. YES: BELL MORE THAN 1 GAME

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. YES: BOTH BELL & BLOUNT 1 GAME ONLY

20 vote(s)
    32.3%
  4. YES: BOTH BELL & BLOUNT MORE THAN ONE GAME

9 vote(s)
    14.5%
  5. NO GAMES FOR EITHER OF THEM

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  6. UNDECIDED: TO EARLY TO JUDGE

13 vote(s)
    21.0%
  1. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I don't know how, as a coach, you look the other way just so you don't lose one game. I didn't actually see a ton in the Eagles game that suggested that they were going to carry our team anyway - Blount was decent but Bell...not so much. Maybe they can come up with something else besides a suspension but I don't know what it would be.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    There in lies the problem BFT the vocal leaders on the team don't have a leg to stand on for a keep your nose clean perspective. Those that do aren't vocal and don't lead that way. Can you imagine the eye rolling they would be doing if Ben got in their faces? So that had to create tension right there.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    So why can't you just fine them? Why does the whole team have to suffer for their mistake?

And why do they need to be punished twice? Surely the league will hand down a suspension or a fine.

4. SteelersWorld

SteelersWorld Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    The reason the whole team needs to suffer is so that it changes their behavior. Fining a self-absorbed, entitled millionaire $10, 000 dollars (or whatever amount) is not going to affect any change. But once they realize they let down their team and their fans, maybe it will be a wake-up call. I don't want to see the team suffer either, but holy cow, this kind of stupidity needs to be stopped.

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Like I said, the league will do it. And I know when I get red camera ticket, the $75 doesn't hurt me but still don't like people sticking their hands in my pocket. The idea is to get the point across and a fine can do that and I think they already know their teammates are disappointed in them.

I'm not saying they'd definitely lose the game without one of them but considering they missed the playoffs on a missed penalty last year, these wins come at a premium.

I'm sorry but the Steelers making the playoffs is a bigger deal to me then seeing the Steelers dole out a punishment that the league will handle anyway.

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    can you make them do some kind of off the field charity work? make them work or donate a ton of time or cash to a Pittsburgh boys and girls club or a charity. make them speak at high schools or something like that if it possible

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah I feel like that we lack player leadership but of course we can't say that for absolute fact. It certainly does appear that way to me though. I wonder if guys like Manning and Brady and Bress and Rogers say things like "hey I would LOVE to call your number but since you insist on being an idiot I'm gonna make somebody else look like a stud" or something like that? Those guys just come across as more "alpha male" to me than the guys we have.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I voted yes to suspend both for more than one game. they know the rules and broke them. we can't do it to #53 on the roster if we don't do it to #1, for now and down the road. the rooney's need to make it a point. santonio was released and we never expected that but we moved on. I think a suspension is fitting. no player is bigger than the team no matter how much it hurts.:cool:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Not for nothin, but Santonio was traded.

10. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    So, you want to suspend them for being stupid and getting themselves suspended? Lol... or we can give them two games and treat them like a wife-beater (fiancée-beater)?

First offense for each of these guys Mac. Give them a chance to prove that this is an anomaly. If they screw up again, I'd expect them to be suspended. I'd be shocked and pretty upset if we decided to add any additional suspension to either Bell or Blount. NFL already has the suspension part of this under control. There are other ways to handle this.

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am to pissed off about Bell to even vote,
    I could care less about Blount. Bell better get his HEAD on straight, tooooooooooooo much talent
    to waste here. Cmon son start hanging with the right crowd.You might just turn into another Santonio Holmes,Irrelevant. All that talent gone awash.

12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    As punishment, make them spilt time behind the 2nd and 3rd team offensive lines as QB. They'd probably rather be suspended.

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Great idea PJG, the old ole block might get there head on straight.I ended up voting for the 1 game suspension for both.

14. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Another excellent idea, make them put LOTS
    of time in the community,who knows who it may help out more?

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers should fine them the maximum amount, Tomlin is punishing them making them play in the 4th preseason game.

17. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    When you run a public business, especially in the entertainment industry, you have social responsibilities. What you say, do, respond to adversities or deal with rule/law breakers sends strong messages that has serious and longlasting repercussions throughout society. To put off actions for " the league" to do is skirting your responsibilities and to do so for the sake of a possible game loss speaks volumes of ones moral fiber. The team WILL do something, and that quite possibly can and should include a game suspension. They may not be able to for drug/alcohol infractions but they can under the rules that pertain to " actions detrimental to the team".

As Barney Fife use to say.. " Nip it in the Bud!! " or the problem will raise its ugly head again in the future and at a greater cost.

Cajun-

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    So you want to see them punished twice? Just because the Steelers impose a punishment, does not mean the league will not hand down one as well. There is a system in place to deal with this, let the system deal with it.

And if they have to show an example, make them do community service or play them extra in preseason which is more of a punishment then sitting them or any number of things that doesn't hurt the team.

I personally don't believe its the Steelers responsibility to set an example or be a role model if you will, parents should be instilling these traits into kids and athletes are not role models either, I'd prefer everyone to be like Heath but the reality is, they are not.

19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    What are the Steelers Core Values?